Took the Galant VR4 to the track

Track days? F1? Put it here!

Moderator: Moderators

GSTwithPSI
I'm a n000b

Took the Galant VR4 to the track

Post by GSTwithPSI »

Well, took the Galant out to Capitol Raceway on Saturday. I figured since it will be going away for the winter soon, I might as well take it out and try to break it. Despite my efforts, the car held up like a boss.

It's been years since I was in the pilot's seat at the track, and my first few passes made that blatantly obvious. I made an epic 14.8 pass at one point... :rolllaugh:

Also, my tuning skills are far from pro, so I think there's much to be gained there as well. Overall though, I got the car running decent, and starting driving decent.

I made 7 passes, the best of which was a 13.6 @ 100mph. I was running all day on 93 pump @ 17ish PSI. I was struggling to tune the knock out of the car all day. Toward the end of the day, I felt like I was getting the car fairly dialed in just as the track was closing. I'll do some work on the street, and hopefully make some improvements for next time.

I went with my buddy Dan in his 1GA Talon. His best time of the day was like 13.3 or so. There was another DSM there running mid 12s on E85. Aside from us 3, just ton's of muscle heads there. It was a great time, and I'm hoping to make another trip there before the close for the season. Here's a photo dump of the day, as well as vids from my 2 quickest passes.

Thanks for the space.
13.6 Pass
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=F3grgFvm_40[/video]
13.8 Pass
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9lSw3BeYWNw[/video]

GVR-4 1837/2000 - Current
GVR-4 1813/2000 - Sold
1990 Eclipse GST - Sold
thermobox
DCAWD Founding Member

Re: Took the Galant VR4 to the track

Post by thermobox »

Hell yeah!! That's some damn good times. I love looking at pics of your car in it's natural habitat. Thanks for sharing.
drwrx
DCAWD Founding Member

Post by drwrx »

I suspect with a more aggressive launch and some quicker shifting you could get down to the 13.0 / 13.2 range.
A trap speed of 100 mph (or close to it) indicates the car has some legs on it.
Sabre
DCAWD Founding Member

Post by Sabre »

Nice job!

I haven't tuned a Mitsu before... In the Subaru world a "general" rule of thumb is 11:1 AFR's and -1 Degree of timing per PSI. You all have variable intake's valve timing too, right?
Sabre (Julian)
92.5% Stock 04 STI
Good choice putting $4,000 rims on your 1990 Honda Civic. That's like Betty White going out and getting her tits done.
GSTwithPSI
I'm a n000b

Post by GSTwithPSI »

Yeah, shooting for 11:1 AFR. The problem is, I just haven't had my WB installed long enough to really get out on the street and work the kninks out of the tune. I installed the WB the night before I went to the track. I was just shooting from the hip on the strip, so to speak. The car is currently down for some minor repairs (unrelated to the track day), so as soon as I get a few things worked out, it will be back to tuning and getting the car running to its full potential.

This car has the good ole' 4G63, the one before variable valve timing and Evos were even really a thing here in the U.S. I have some HKS 272 bump sticks installed at the moment. They perform great up top, where the power typically likes to fall off.

Thanks for all the positive feedback, guys. I really appreciate it!
GVR-4 1837/2000 - Current
GVR-4 1813/2000 - Sold
1990 Eclipse GST - Sold