2014 F-1 engine explained, kinda

Track days? F1? Put it here!

Moderator: Moderators

zaxrex
DCAWD Founding Member

2014 F-1 engine explained, kinda

Post by zaxrex »

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4vIjJg0lXgc[/video]
If you can forgive the guy for confusing port and direct injection at times, kind of interesting.
15000 redline, 1.6 L, 600HP, 500bar DI, dual exhaust input turbo that is connected to a motor/generator to spin up turbines to 100,000 RPM to kill turbo lag at 50 PSI, and a 180 hp electric motor geared to the driveshaft in the Kers system.

Question I have now is with the gearchanges being so quick, is there a need for a BOV? Between the intake volume, IC, and huge compressor and high boost, that is a lot of compressed air to manage.

"Excuse me while I whip this out"

"Mah turbo displaces more than my engine, and the intake plenum is the biggest of them all"
Patience is the ability to idle your motor when you feel like stripping your gears
ElZorro
DCAWD Founding Member

Re: 2014 F-1 engine explained, kinda

Post by ElZorro »

Its amazing what you can do with 1.6L with all the extra bits around it.
Jason "El Zorro" Fox
'17 Subaru Forester 2.0XT
DCAWD - old coots in fast scoots.
Mr Kleen
DCAWD Founding Member

Post by Mr Kleen »

That turbo pre-spooler is pretty neat. I'm sure we'll see that in supercars before too long.
Sabre
DCAWD Founding Member

Post by Sabre »

That's a HELL of a lot of boost. With that high a redline, that explains why the fuel is pressurized so much.

I wonder if all the engine techs had to go through a bunch of training on how to tune a turbo engine and such.

lol, I want to know their AFR's and timing, hehe (Ya, like we would EVER get those from these guys)
Sabre (Julian)
92.5% Stock 04 STI
Good choice putting $4,000 rims on your 1990 Honda Civic. That's like Betty White going out and getting her tits done.
ElZorro
DCAWD Founding Member

Post by ElZorro »

Sabre wrote:I wonder if all the engine techs had to go through a bunch of training on how to tune a turbo engine and such.
Alot of "techs" at that level of autosports have masters in automotive engineering or mechanical engineering.
Jason "El Zorro" Fox
Sabre
DCAWD Founding Member

Post by Sabre »

ElZorro wrote:
Sabre wrote:I wonder if all the engine techs had to go through a bunch of training on how to tune a turbo engine and such.
Alot of "techs" at that level of autosports have masters in automotive engineering or mechanical engineering.
Oh, I totally get that... it's just tuning a N/A engine vs. a turbo'ed one with DI is very different. Not that they couldn't understand it, just that it requires a new perspective.
Sabre (Julian)
92.5% Stock 04 STI
Good choice putting $4,000 rims on your 1990 Honda Civic. That's like Betty White going out and getting her tits done.
ElZorro
DCAWD Founding Member

Post by ElZorro »

Sabre wrote:
ElZorro wrote:
Oh, I totally get that... it's just tuning a N/A engine vs. a turbo'ed one with DI is very different. Not that they couldn't understand it, just that it requires a new perspective.
True. Its not as simple as turning a screw on the carb anymore.
Jason "El Zorro" Fox
Mr Kleen
DCAWD Founding Member

Post by Mr Kleen »

Mercedes F1's Secret Is It Split Its Turbo In Half
but...
random internet person wrote:This isn't really news as most teams will probably have something similar going on. From what I've seen the energy recovery system sits between the turbine and compressor, so there is always going to be separation between the two. Mercedes might have theirs the farthest away, but that would only be for the purpose of packaging the system...
664860388067053602.jpg
664917958775301157.jpg
I expect to see this type of tech on Ferrari's soon. They just released a hybrid and their first turbo since the F40.
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
Mr Kleen
DCAWD Founding Member

Post by Mr Kleen »

Mr Kleen
DCAWD Founding Member

Post by Mr Kleen »