"Steep" - Crazy Skier Movie

Post up about anything DC! Shows, restaurants, cell phone providers, cable companies, parks, festivals, etc

Moderator: Moderators

WRXWagon2112
DCAWD Founding Member

"Steep" - Crazy Skier Movie

Post by WRXWagon2112 »

As of right now, I can't find any showtimes for this anywhere near the DC area. It opens next week and I'd imagine you psycho skier types would be flocking to it ... if it's available.
Steep
Copyright © 2007 Sony Pictures Classics

A feature documentary about bold adventure, exquisite athleticism and the pursuit of a perfect moment on skis. It is the story of big mountain skiing, a sport that barely existed 35 years ago. It started in the 1970s in the mountains above Chamonix, France, where skiers began to attempt ski descents so extreme that they appeared almost suicidal. Men like Anselme Baud and Patrick Vallencant were inspired by the challenge of skiing where no one thought to ski before. Now, two generations later, some of the world’s greatest skiers pursue a sport where the prize is not winning, but simply experiencing the exhilaration of skiing and exploring big, wild, remote mountains. STEEP features many of the sport’s greatest athletes including Bill Briggs, Stefano De Benedetti, Eric Pehota, Glen Plake, Shane McConkey, Seth Morrison, Chris Davenport, Ingrid Backstrom and Andrew McLean. The man who is often described as the greatest big mountain skier of all, the late Doug Coombs, is the character at the center of STEEP. He died in a skiing accident in La Grave, France, in April, 2006, just days after being filmed for STEEP. His rich life and tragic death reveal the essential question at the heart of big mountain skiing: How does a skier weigh the risks versus the rewards of a sport where the possibility of dying is ever-present? STEEP was shot on High Definition and on film in Alaska, Wyoming, Canada, France and Iceland.
--Alan
complacent
DCAWD Founding Member

Re: "Steep" - Crazy Skier Movie

Post by complacent »

WRXWagon2112 wrote:As of right now, I can't find any showtimes for this anywhere near the DC area. It opens next week and I'd imagine you psycho skier types would be flocking to it ... if it's available.
Steep
Copyright © 2007 Sony Pictures Classics

A feature documentary about bold adventure, exquisite athleticism and the pursuit of a perfect moment on skis. It is the story of big mountain skiing, a sport that barely existed 35 years ago. It started in the 1970s in the mountains above Chamonix, France, where skiers began to attempt ski descents so extreme that they appeared almost suicidal. Men like Anselme Baud and Patrick Vallencant were inspired by the challenge of skiing where no one thought to ski before. Now, two generations later, some of the world’s greatest skiers pursue a sport where the prize is not winning, but simply experiencing the exhilaration of skiing and exploring big, wild, remote mountains. STEEP features many of the sport’s greatest athletes including Bill Briggs, Stefano De Benedetti, Eric Pehota, Glen Plake, Shane McConkey, Seth Morrison, Chris Davenport, Ingrid Backstrom and Andrew McLean. The man who is often described as the greatest big mountain skier of all, the late Doug Coombs, is the character at the center of STEEP. He died in a skiing accident in La Grave, France, in April, 2006, just days after being filmed for STEEP. His rich life and tragic death reveal the essential question at the heart of big mountain skiing: How does a skier weigh the risks versus the rewards of a sport where the possibility of dying is ever-present? STEEP was shot on High Definition and on film in Alaska, Wyoming, Canada, France and Iceland.
--Alan
:censor: that frigid ass place... :violent:
colin

a tank, a yammie, a spaceship
i <3 teh 00ntz
Sabre
DCAWD Founding Member

Post by Sabre »

lol, frigid, but GREAT skiing :) Second only to Whistler.

Very sad to hear about his death and I definitely want to see the movie!
Sabre (Julian)
92.5% Stock 04 STI
Good choice putting $4,000 rims on your 1990 Honda Civic. That's like Betty White going out and getting her tits done.
complacent
DCAWD Founding Member

Post by complacent »

Sabre wrote:lol, frigid, but GREAT skiing :) Second only to Whistler.

Very sad to hear about his death and I definitely want to see the movie!
I'll agree about the loss, and the desire to see the movie. Especially in HD.

I WON'T agree about the skiing though ;) :poke:

I bet it is going to be an amazingly beautiful HD DVD. w00t!
colin

a tank, a yammie, a spaceship
i <3 teh 00ntz
Sabre
DCAWD Founding Member

Post by Sabre »

:lol2: Eventually, you'll come around and see Jackson Hole for the grand place that it is... even if you have to put up with the 40mph winds and -20F temps ;)
Sabre (Julian)
92.5% Stock 04 STI
Good choice putting $4,000 rims on your 1990 Honda Civic. That's like Betty White going out and getting her tits done.
WRXWagon2112
DCAWD Founding Member

Post by WRXWagon2112 »

The A.V. Club seems to like it.

Review

--Alan