Anime @ The Kennedy Center?!

Post up about anything DC! Shows, restaurants, cell phone providers, cable companies, parks, festivals, etc

Moderator: Moderators

WRXWagon2112
DCAWD Founding Member

Anime @ The Kennedy Center?!

Post by WRXWagon2112 »

Apparently the Kennedy Center will be presenting an international festival that "showcases the richness and diversity of the arts of Japan" in February 2008 called "JAPAN! culture + hyperculture".

Crazy name aside, there are some interesting events planned. To wit:
Sunday, February 17, 2008
Anime Marathon
Family Theater: 10am, 12pm, 1:30pm and 4pm

Four anime premieres will be presented as part of a screening marathon. Each film will receive one screening. All seats $10 (per film).
I have an 'in' with a Kennedy Center member so I can get tickets starting August 1st. They go on sale to the public September 28th. I know it's quite a long way off right now, but is anyone interested?

I'll post up about the other events soon...

--Alan
WRXWagon2112
DCAWD Founding Member

Post by WRXWagon2112 »

Here's some more info on the other events:

Official web site listing.

--Alan
Mr Kleen
DCAWD Founding Member

Post by Mr Kleen »

interested. will check the web site and let you know 100% ASAP.
WRXWagon2112
DCAWD Founding Member

Post by WRXWagon2112 »

This is coming up next month. Some cool things:

* A laptop orchestra
* Lots and lots of robots - including Honda's ASIMO and Toyota's trumpet playing robot
* Anime exclusives
* And lots more...

Anyone interested in a group outing?

--Alan
Sabre
DCAWD Founding Member

Post by Sabre »

WRXWagon2112 wrote: * A laptop orchestra
* Lots and lots of robots - including Honda's ASIMO and Toyota's trumpet playing robot
Very interested in these! Just let me know when!
Sabre (Julian)
92.5% Stock 04 STI
Good choice putting $4,000 rims on your 1990 Honda Civic. That's like Betty White going out and getting her tits done.
avriette
DCAWD Groupie

Post by avriette »

WRXWagon2112 wrote:This is coming up next month. Some cool things:

* A laptop orchestra
* Anime exclusives
* And lots more...

Anyone interested in a group outing?

--Alan

There's this asian chick that shows up at meets (usually the ones I go to; go figure) who would probably be interested. She's got an iPhone and I think a black STI. I bet she'd be interested.
rocket scientist
Mr Kleen
DCAWD Founding Member

Post by Mr Kleen »

interested.

(did this thread really start over 6 months ago??? :shock: )
zaxrex
DCAWD Founding Member

Post by zaxrex »

Interested, but I won't be here.

I gots a 12 hour layover in Japan, so maybe I can get some anime then...
Patience is the ability to idle your motor when you feel like stripping your gears
Libra Monkee

Post by Libra Monkee »

RELEVANT TO MY INERESTS! It's been a while since I've seen good anime.
Last edited by Libra Monkee on Wed Jan 23, 2008 12:38 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Libra Monkee- "Helping DCAWD meet its Equal Opportunity requirement since 2006."
WRXWagon2112
DCAWD Founding Member

Post by WRXWagon2112 »

As the site clearly shows, there's a lot of stuff going on during this ... exhibit(?) ... festival(?)...

There's a bunch of theater presentations (I'm not interested) and dance performances (again, I'm not interested). But here's a few other things that I think the DCAWD collective might find interesting:

Laptop Orchestra
Feb. 11 at 7:30pm
Theater Lab, Ticket $18

Interactive computer music meets Japanese traditional music when this Tokyo-based collaborative digitally experiments with the sound of a traditional Japanese instrument. At the concert, musician Ko Ishikawa sends sounds from his sho (mouth organ) through computers while the laptoppers - interacting onstage via an audio/video network - respond in real time, generating an infinite field of sound possibilities.

YMCK
Feb. 10 at 6pm
Free

Acclaimed pop trio YMCK is renowed for its 8bit sound and pixel animation in live performances that reminds people of old video game consoles.

More to come ... ;)

--Alan
complacent
DCAWD Founding Member

Post by complacent »

WRXWagon2112 wrote: But here's a few other things that I think the DCAWD collective might find interesting:

...sho (mouth organ) ...
--Alan
Whoa there fella, what are you trying to sell here??

<---- Runs to google sho...

/hyjack!
colin

a tank, a yammie, a spaceship
i <3 teh 00ntz
WRXWagon2112
DCAWD Founding Member

Post by WRXWagon2112 »

Robots, robots, robots ...

Robotopia Rising
Robotopia Rising is a robot extravaganza that highlights the science and culture of Japanese robotics. This groundbreaking celebration is a tribute to Japanese craftsmanship and technology as well as a preview of the future. The most sophisticated robots in the world will be present, and daily shows will provide a fascinating showcase for all of their amazing talents.

Kokoro's Actroid DER2 will be greeting visitors throughout the festival, talking to them and even answering their questions. Developed with cutting-edge technology, including Advanced Media, Inc.'s voice recognition "AmiVoice" support, the Actroid DER2 has an astonishingly human-like appearance and a great range of gestures and facial expressions. Hall of States
Here's a picture of it:

I'm not kidding. That's the robot. Though it'll probably be wearing something other than the Hello Kitty T-shirt.

Daily Robot Shows in the Nations Gallery

Honda's Asimo was designed to operate freely in the human living space and be people-friendly. It can walk smoothly, climb stairs, communicate, and recognize people's voices and faces.

Toyota Partner Robot was developed with artificial lips that move with the same finesse as human ones, enabling it to play the trumpet.

Robot Show Schedule (each show approximately 15 minutes long)
Note: capacity is limited and admission is subject to availability.

Feb. 7, 11, 13, & 15: Honda's Asimo 12:30, 2:30, and 5:30 pm
Toyota Partner Robot 1:30, 4:30, and 7 pm
Feb. 8, 12, & 14: Honda's Asimo 1:30, 4:30, and 7 pm
Toyota Partner Robot 12:30, 2:30, and 5:30 pm
Feb. 9: Honda's Asimo 10:30 am, 1:30, 4:30, and 7 pm
Toyota Partner Robot 12:30, 2:30, and 5:30 pm
Feb. 10: Honda's Asimo 12:30, 2:30, and 5:30 pm
Toyota Partner Robot 10:30 am, 1:30, 4:30, and 7 pm
Feb. 16: Honda's Asimo 11:30 am, 1:30, 3:30, and 5:30 pm
Toyota Partner Robot 10:30 am, 12:30, 2:30, 4:30, and 7 pm
Feb. 17: Honda's Asimo 10:30 am, 12:30, 2:30, 4:30, and 7 pm
Toyota Partner Robot 11:30 am, 1:30, 3:30, and 5:30 pm

--Alan
Last edited by WRXWagon2112 on Wed Jan 23, 2008 6:13 pm, edited 2 times in total.
WRXWagon2112
DCAWD Founding Member

Post by WRXWagon2112 »

Free robot lectures:

Karakuri Doll Lecture and Demonstration
Professor Yoshikazu Suematsu speaks about and demonstrates Karakuri dolls. Developed in the 17th century, these precursors to modern robots are controlled by mechanisms inspired by the Swiss clock. Feb. 9 at 11 am

"Robots in Japanese Science Fiction"
Tim Hornyak and Fred Schodt, the author of the forthcoming Astro Boy Essays, speak about the role of robots in Japanese science fiction. Feb. 9 at 3 pm

"Being a Robot Creator and the Role of Robots as Entertainers"
This lecture features the world's most well-known character-type robot creator, ROBO-Garage founder Tomotaka Takahashi and Dr. Takanori Shibata, the creator of Paro, the seal-like therapeutic robot. Feb. 10 at 11 am

"The Value of Creating Androids: The Role of Android Science and Prospects for Androids in Society"
Dr. Hiroshi Ishiguro, a leading researcher in human robots (androids) with an expertise for making them move and interact, speaks about the future role of androids in society. Feb. 10 at 3pm

--Alan