Bring Corporal Himan Home

Post up about anything DC! Shows, restaurants, cell phone providers, cable companies, parks, festivals, etc

Moderator: Moderators

Mr Kleen
DCAWD Founding Member

Post by Mr Kleen »

In September of 2009, then Marine Lance Corporal Joshua Himan was severely injured while fighting in Afghanistan. An Improvised Explosive Device (IED) blast destroyed his humvee and the regular life that most of us enjoy. Since then, the road to recovery has had many twists and turns but Joshua, now fighting to regain his life through the military medical system, has made progress that fits his extraordinary character.

His extensive rehabilitation at the the VA Medical Center in Richmond, Bethesda Naval Hospital, and now Walter Reed Medical Center i scheduled to end in March. But before he can be released from this phase of his recovery, to continue to rebuild his life at home, his parents’ house in Woodbridge, Virginia (not far from Manassas) requires an extensive upgrade. Fortunately, The Northern Virginia Fuller Center for Housing has stepped forward to build an ~1,000 square foot addition to the Himan home.

The NOVA Fuller Center is an organization similar to Habitat for Humanity. (In fact, the “Fuller” in the Center’s name is the same Millard and Linda Fuller who established Habitat for Humanity). Unlike most habitat projects where the beneficiary has to ”buy-in” to the project or take on a mortgage for part of the cost, the Fuller Center believes the Himan family has already paid too high a price. Certainly, Joshua Himan has paid all but the last measure of his being. Thus, when we finish this project, we leave no bill, no mortgage, and no obligation of any kind for the Himan family. We believe this gift to them is the very least we should do.

Now Corporal Himan is in the Fisher House at Walter Reed. The volunteers of the BRING CORPORAL HIMAN HOME project have worked tirelessly to raise more than $125,000 of cash, in-kind donations, and labor for this project.
I'm signed up for this Saturday and will do at least one more day before the end of the project (probably Saturday, Feb 19). There's a sign-up page with details of what is needed each day.

If there is a day you want to work but the sign-up schedule is full please contact dkheloussi at gmail dot com or Robert @ 703-254-2685 or 703-401-9082.
PGT
DCAWD Groupie

Re: Bring Corporal Himan Home

Post by PGT »

how does one sign up? I'd like to contribute on Saturday. Do they provide all tools or should we bring our own?

-D
2013 BMW 328i M Sport with 8sp in Estoril Blue II
2012 Chrysler 300C SRT8 - Always bet on black
2012 Jeep Wrangler Unlimited Rubicon Call of Duty: Modern Warfare 3 Edition, otherwise known as the MW3 (and badass)
Sabre
DCAWD Founding Member

Post by Sabre »

VERY cool effort going on. I'm going to see how much I can work next week and possible volunteer for the Friday 12-4 slot.
Sabre (Julian)
92.5% Stock 04 STI
Good choice putting $4,000 rims on your 1990 Honda Civic. That's like Betty White going out and getting her tits done.
Mr Kleen
DCAWD Founding Member

Post by Mr Kleen »

check the web page for more info. for the work tomorrow they asked everyone to bring their own shovel.
Mr Kleen
DCAWD Founding Member

Post by Mr Kleen »

Work went well today but I'm gonna feel it tomorrow. :rolllaugh: we graded the crawlspace and dug a trench around the side of the house to repair a foundation crack in the existing structure. Construction begins tomorrow. If at all possible please volunteer for a weekday, they really need help on the weekdays. I can't this week but plan on taking a day next week to help out.
We had a great crew out there today, really made the hard work go faster with a easy-going bunch. :nana:
photo1.JPG
photo2.JPG
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
Mr Kleen
DCAWD Founding Member

Post by Mr Kleen »

There was a last-minute call for workers so I'm heading back today.
I sure am glad I get tomorrow off, 0600 is too early for a Sunday... :eek: