MAGFest 2011 Jan 13 - 16 (Thu-Sun)

Post up about anything DC! Shows, restaurants, cell phone providers, cable companies, parks, festivals, etc

Moderator: Moderators

Libra Monkee

MAGFest 2011 Jan 13 - 16 (Thu-Sun)

Post by Libra Monkee »

What is MAGFest?
MAGFest (Music and Gaming Festival) is a video and computer gaming festival run by fans, for fans. It's similar to most fan-based (anime, scifi, etc) conventions, but aims to be more of a laid-back video game party atmosphere. No crowded show floors here, but rather lots of fan art, film and music, and room to relax. Our special guests fit right in and socialize with the rest of the crowd. Game movies and cartoons are shown weekend-long. In addition to our 10,000 square foot game room, lots of attendees set up games in their rooms and invite others inside.

Perhaps most importantly, MAGFest has a huge focus on game music -- multiple concerts' worth -- filled with video game music tributes, some even with the original composers! On Friday, Saturday, and Sunday nights, multiple bands will perform on our main stage, and our JamSpace room is open 24 hours for collaborative music and special treats alike.
I went a couple of years ago and it was pretty cool. In the game room they have a variety of games from almost every era of gaming. I've already got my ticket to go this year. Which means, yes, I'll be making a brief appearance out from my hidey hole.

They have table top gaming, random contests, a LAN party room, and vendors selling tshirts, Japanese imports, and vintage games.

But the main reason to go is the the nightly concerts. Different bands who do rocked out a remixed versions of video game music. They even had an 8-bit Concert where people jam out to midi music composed on Gameboys. This year The Minibosses are going to be there among Armcannon and others.

It's going to be at the Mark Center Hilton in Alexandria. Preregistration began a while ago but tickets are still available.

Continue? 9... 8... 7... 6...

Libra Monkee- "Helping DCAWD meet its Equal Opportunity requirement since 2006."
Sabre
DCAWD Founding Member

Re: MAGFest 2011

Post by Sabre »

Hmm, I remember you mentioning this before... I might have to join ya this year!
Sabre (Julian)
92.5% Stock 04 STI
Good choice putting $4,000 rims on your 1990 Honda Civic. That's like Betty White going out and getting her tits done.
chicken n waffles

Post by chicken n waffles »

i went to one day of it w/ chuck a couple years ago. it was a good time.

the minibosses are playing this year. i'm going.
-Ben
complacent
DCAWD Founding Member

Post by complacent »

chicken n waffles wrote:i went to one day of it w/ chuck a couple years ago. it was a good time.

the minibosses are playing this year. i'm going.
oh snap!
colin

a tank, a yammie, a spaceship
i <3 teh 00ntz
Mr Kleen
DCAWD Founding Member

Re: MAGFest 2011 Jan 13 - 16 (Thu-Sun)

Post by Mr Kleen »

that hotel is walking distance for a few poeple here. :wink:
which night are the minibosses playing?
chicken n waffles

if their info is correct, they're playing saturday the 15th.
-Ben
nick the newbie
I'm a n000b

Post by nick the newbie »

Howdy! My name's nick and I'm one of the many helping hands at magfest. I noticed you guys linked to us, so I figured I'd pop in, say hi, and answer any questions you may have. Please feel free to ask for any info on magfest, what goes on there, or any general hotel and are info. I hope to see you guys there!
captainslow
I'm starting to be a post wh0re

Post by captainslow »

That sounds pretty cool. I'm down. Let me know when.
Sabre
DCAWD Founding Member

Post by Sabre »

nick the newbie wrote:Howdy! My name's nick and I'm one of the many helping hands at magfest. I noticed you guys linked to us, so I figured I'd pop in, say hi, and answer any questions you may have. Please feel free to ask for any info on magfest, what goes on there, or any general hotel and are info. I hope to see you guys there!
Hey Nick,
Very cool of you to join and say hello! I'll probably be joining Chuck and a couple of others at this event. Sounds like a great time!
Sabre (Julian)
92.5% Stock 04 STI
Good choice putting $4,000 rims on your 1990 Honda Civic. That's like Betty White going out and getting her tits done.
Mr Kleen
DCAWD Founding Member

Post by Mr Kleen »

nick the newbie wrote:Howdy! My name's nick and I'm one of the many helping hands at magfest. I noticed you guys linked to us, so I figured I'd pop in, say hi, and answer any questions you may have. Please feel free to ask for any info on magfest, what goes on there, or any general hotel and are info. I hope to see you guys there!
thanks for stopping by. :mrgreen: I plan on coming out Saturday the check things out and watch the Minibosses' set.
Raven
Mr. Underpowered or something

Post by Raven »

I was already planning on going to this.
All my cars have drum brakes and are sub 200 hp, what am I doing with my life?
2013 Mazda 2
1994 Chevy S10 pickup
1985 Chevy Caprice (no fuel system)
nick the newbie
I'm a n000b

Keep in mind that we haven't officially announced any band schedules yet, so though it's likely that the bosses will play saturday night, it's not 100% confirmed and possibly subject to change.
Libra Monkee

Post by Libra Monkee »

Regardless I have to see Armcannon and The Place is Haunted again. But especially Armacannon.

Libra Monkee- "Helping DCAWD meet its Equal Opportunity requirement since 2006."
chicken n waffles

can't wait
-Ben
Libra Monkee

Post by Libra Monkee »

Grrr... I can't make it opening night because of class. But I'll be there Friday, Saturday afternoon, and Sunday.

Mr Kleen
DCAWD Founding Member

Post by Mr Kleen »

it's the same weekend as the DC Tattoo Arts Expo in Crystal City. :x Have they announced the times for each band yet? I want to check out a few of them after what I've heard from you guys.

oh noze! I just checked out some pictures of the vendor booths from previous years: t-shirts, toys and STICKERS!
"I'm gonna bring $500 but I'm only gonna gable with $300..." :eek:
ElZorro
DCAWD Founding Member

Post by ElZorro »

Mr Kleen wrote:it's the same weekend as the DC Tattoo Arts Expo in Crystal City. :x
http://dctattooexpo.com wrote:10:00 pm - 2:00 am
Party at Crystal City Restaurant, strip club. Free Shuttle bus for attendees,
I am intrigued by your ideas and would like to subscribe to your newsletter.
Jason "El Zorro" Fox
'17 Subaru Forester 2.0XT
DCAWD - old coots in fast scoots.
Sabre
DCAWD Founding Member

Post by Sabre »

lol, CCR only has like 4 spots out front... or do thy have more out back that I don't know about?
Sabre (Julian)
92.5% Stock 04 STI
Mr Kleen
DCAWD Founding Member

Post by Mr Kleen »

trust me, I'm not going to the Tattoo Expo just to get a free shuttle to CCR. CCR isn't a real strip club (pasties and thongs, no table or lap dances) but the food is pretty good and surprisingly cheap. my old boss was in love with the place so we ate lunch there a few times a year. if you want to go to a strip club I'd recommend a trip to WV. I wonder how many out-of-towners will be disappointed by a VA "strip club?" :lol:
Sabre
DCAWD Founding Member

Post by Sabre »

^^^ Probably a lot!

I have yet to go to WV, but everyone talks about it being this great oasis!

I really need to give CCR a try sometime... for the food of course ;)
Sabre (Julian)
92.5% Stock 04 STI
chicken n waffles

Sabre wrote: I really need to give CCR a try sometime... for the food of course ;)
it's an overrated shithole.
-Ben
Sabre
DCAWD Founding Member

Post by Sabre »

Ya, but I like to give everything at least it's "once" try :)
Sabre (Julian)
92.5% Stock 04 STI
Libra Monkee

Post by Libra Monkee »

I used to like CCR because it's the only place you can get beer, an "edible" steak, sports, and topless women all in one place.

complacent
DCAWD Founding Member

Post by complacent »

Libra Monkee wrote:I used to like CCR because it's the only place you can get beer, an "edible" steak, sports, and topless women all in one place.
'tis true.
colin

a tank, a yammie, a spaceship
i <3 teh 00ntz
nick the newbie
I'm a n000b

Hey, I figured I'd just drop by one more time to remind you guys about the event. Pre-registration closes monday (jan 10) and things kick off thursday Jan 13th at about noon and run until about 6pm on jan 16, and I'd recommend pre-regging (http://magfest.org) if you're coming. We'll have at the door passes, but not that many before we sell out. Hope to see you guys there!

Also, be aware that the minibosses concert did change to friday. You can check out the schedule on the top news item on our front page.