Nice Catch Can

2.0, 2.5, NA, FI, it's all good in here

Moderator: Moderators

Sabre
DCAWD Founding Member

Nice Catch Can

Post by Sabre »

It's modeled after the Element Tuning one. Original Article. Let me just point out that unless you are running a larger turbo or tracking your car often, this may be of no use to you.
I ended up buying all my parts from peterson fluid systems. I just called them on the phone and told them what I wanted.
If you want to replicate this call them and inform them of the item number and quantity. The part numbers are listed below followed by the item and quantity/length and price.
part number=blue

08-0410-BREATHER CAN,-12AN&-8AN,W/FLT-1-$97.65
200108-HOSE END,PUSH LOCK,STR,-8-1-$3.14
209012-HOSE END, PUSH LOCK,90,-12AN-1-$17.48
860008-HOSE,-8,SERIES 8600,PER FOOT-6FT-$15.48
860012-HOSE,-12,SERIES 8600,PER FOOT-6FT-$26.76

The total price of those items plus shipping was $174.00.
Sabre (Julian)
92.5% Stock 04 STI
Good choice putting $4,000 rims on your 1990 Honda Civic. That's like Betty White going out and getting her tits done.
sirwilliam
Resident Poop Expert

Re: Nice Catch Can

Post by sirwilliam »

Nice! Thanks for the info!
2004 SG Model A PearlBlackObsidian (RIP)
2008 SG Model D BlueRallyWorld

"When I get sad, I stop being sad and be awesome instead. True story." -Barney Stinson
"Nothing shuts my pie-hole but pie." -Shawn Spencer
Raven
Mr. Underpowered or something

Post by Raven »

What's a catch can supposed to do anyway?
All my cars have drum brakes and are sub 200 hp, what am I doing with my life?
2013 Mazda 2
1994 Chevy S10 pickup
1985 Chevy Caprice (no fuel system)
Sabre
DCAWD Founding Member

Post by Sabre »

An oil catch can is used in turbo applications, or high-performance race applications where excessive blow-by (leakage past the piston rings) of air and fuel vapor occurs. This creates a positive pressure in the crankcase. Engine manufactures have placed a valve on the engine block which releases this pressure. This valve is known as a PCV (Positive Crankcase Ventilation) valve. During engine operation, blow-by gases, as well as oil mist from the rotating components of the engine, pass through the PCV valve and are routed back into the intake for the engine to burn off. However, some of the oil mist and other products settle along the engine intake and over time form a "gunk." The oil catch can collects the oil mist and condenses the fuel vapors while allowing "cleaner" gases to be passed back into the intake. Typically the blow-by gasses are passed through a wire mesh, which give the vapor droplets something to adhere to. Since the oil catch cans condense the vapor portion of the gasses, they will need to be drained periodically of all the oil, fuel and other contaminants.
Sabre (Julian)
92.5% Stock 04 STI
Good choice putting $4,000 rims on your 1990 Honda Civic. That's like Betty White going out and getting her tits done.
Raven
Mr. Underpowered or something

Post by Raven »

Oh, that. Yet another thing my saab has from the factory. So what's the list of things up to now? Baffled oil pan, oil cooler, catch can, and rod bearings that don't spin if you rev the engine. :lol:
All my cars have drum brakes and are sub 200 hp, what am I doing with my life?
2013 Mazda 2
1994 Chevy S10 pickup
1985 Chevy Caprice (no fuel system)
Sabre
DCAWD Founding Member

Post by Sabre »

Raven wrote:Oh, that. Yet another thing my saab has from the factory. So what's the list of things up to now? Baffled oil pan, oil cooler, catch can, and rod bearings that don't spin if you rev the engine. :lol:
lol, our oil pan is (slightly) baffled and we also have an oil cooler... the stock system just reroutes crank case by-pass products back to the intake... which is fine for stock levels ;)
Sabre (Julian)
92.5% Stock 04 STI