EZ series motors, information

2.0, 2.5, NA, FI, it's all good in here

Moderator: Moderators

avriette
DCAWD Groupie

EZ series motors, information

Post by avriette »

When I look at the specifics of the EZ engines, I see a lot of commonality between them and the EJ engines. I think it was Perrin that stuffed one into an STI, and I seem to recall that it was not real successful. Where can I find information on the weight, size relative to the car (not displacement, overall size). I was also wondering about the EE engine because it's a diesel engine and sometimes you can rebore or resleeve one engine from a family with parts from one of the others. This is pretty typically done on the SR20 engines as well as the Nissan L engines (2.4, 2.6, 2.8, and 3.1 litres). Basically I am wondering (just academically, I don't plan to do it) if a simple path might be to pick up rods & pistons and/or crank to get a "stroker" EJ25.

Thoughts? (I think the Sand Rail folks are doing this with the EZ36 motor and making clear over 1,000hp, but it's a little while since I've checked on those guys).
rocket scientist
thermobox
DCAWD Founding Member

Re: EZ series motors, information

Post by thermobox »

I'd say negative ghost rider. Get a stroker for an EJ or do an EZ engine swap. I would not try to mix and match parts. The bores are slightly larger but the strokes are significantly different. The EZ's are not that much bigger or heavier. So the swaps would be doable. The reason the Perrin failed to take off was more tuning issues than anything else.
This is something that is slowly moving from the back of my head to the front more and more everyday. Driving the 3.6's is a blast. Gobs of torque long and flat.

Oh yeah http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of_Subaru_engines
Sabre
DCAWD Founding Member

Post by Sabre »

Some threads of note :)
Thread 1
Thread 2
Thread 3
Thread 4 <=== did 9.1@151
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=CV89_sLr4Ec[/video]
Sabre (Julian)
92.5% Stock 04 STI
Good choice putting $4,000 rims on your 1990 Honda Civic. That's like Betty White going out and getting her tits done.
sirwilliam
Resident Poop Expert

Post by sirwilliam »

Sweet ride!!! I think I need a 9sec foz... :lol:
2004 SG Model A PearlBlackObsidian (RIP)
2008 SG Model D BlueRallyWorld

"When I get sad, I stop being sad and be awesome instead. True story." -Barney Stinson
"Nothing shuts my pie-hole but pie." -Shawn Spencer