A new goody from Grimmspeed!

2.0, 2.5, NA, FI, it's all good in here

Moderator: Moderators

sirwilliam
Resident Poop Expert

A new goody from Grimmspeed!

Post by sirwilliam »

2004 SG Model A PearlBlackObsidian (RIP)
2008 SG Model D BlueRallyWorld

"When I get sad, I stop being sad and be awesome instead. True story." -Barney Stinson
"Nothing shuts my pie-hole but pie." -Shawn Spencer
complacent
DCAWD Founding Member

Re: A new goody from Grimmspeed!

Post by complacent »

pardon my dumbness, but where the heck does the oil go? does this replace the oil drain plug or something?
colin

a tank, a yammie, a spaceship
i <3 teh 00ntz
Sabre
DCAWD Founding Member

Post by Sabre »

There are a couple of places I have seen people tap to put the oil back into the system. Everything from Y'ing the pipe under the turbo to tapping (Yikes!) the oil pan.
Sabre (Julian)
92.5% Stock 04 STI
Good choice putting $4,000 rims on your 1990 Honda Civic. That's like Betty White going out and getting her tits done.
sirwilliam
Resident Poop Expert

Post by sirwilliam »

complacent wrote:pardon my dumbness, but where the heck does the oil go? does this replace the oil drain plug or something?
The oil filler cap.
Last edited by sirwilliam on Tue Jan 19, 2010 1:55 pm, edited 1 time in total.

"When I get sad, I stop being sad and be awesome instead. True story." -Barney Stinson
thermobox
DCAWD Founding Member

Post by thermobox »

^No. This is just a super compact catch can. You hook it up to your lines that go across the fmic and into the inlet tube. Thus preventing the oil from going back into intake, through the turbo, and into the TB,IM,CC.
thermobox
DCAWD Founding Member

Post by thermobox »

Spoke to soon. It goes into the oil fill cap. Image
sirwilliam
Resident Poop Expert

Post by sirwilliam »

thermobox wrote:^No. This is just a super compact catch can. You hook it up to your lines that go across the fmic and into the inlet tube. Thus preventing the oil from going back into intake, through the turbo, and into the TB,IM,CC.
:lol: Yes, I misread the question from Colin...it just screws right into the filler cap. There is a NASIOC vendor group buy now for $199 plus $10 shipping. I am hopping on this one. :wink:

avriette
DCAWD Groupie

Post by avriette »

complacent wrote:pardon my dumbness, but where the heck does the oil go? does this replace the oil drain plug or something?
picture an oil filter relocation kit or dry sump setup (or if you have an oil cooler, just put the thing in line on the way in). you really should be keeping your oil in a system. taking the air out of it is good stuff, but i've never understood why some engines were more flatulent than others.
rocket scientist
complacent
DCAWD Founding Member

Post by complacent »

sirwilliam wrote: :lol: Yes, I misread the question from Colin...it just screws right into the filler cap. There is a NASIOC vendor group buy now for $199 plus $10 shipping. I am hopping on this one. :wink:
Thanks. I was wondering where the threads fit. :lol:
avriette wrote:picture an oil filter relocation kit or dry sump setup (or if you have an oil cooler, just put the thing in line on the way in). you really should be keeping your oil in a system. taking the air out of it is good stuff, but i've never understood why some engines were more flatulent than others.
I understood the purpose and function. My question was where does this object fit under the hood of a Suby. Thanks.
colin

a tank, a yammie, a spaceship
i <3 teh 00ntz
zaxrex
DCAWD Founding Member

Post by zaxrex »

avriette wrote:but i've never understood why some engines were more flatulent than others.
The boxer has a larger exposed surface area and vapor volume space than most vertical in-line crank cases. So we get more oil through the PCV system.
Patience is the ability to idle your motor when you feel like stripping your gears
thermobox
DCAWD Founding Member

Post by thermobox »

200 even seems hard to swallow. But I guess when you put it up against elements 300+ and provas 400+ price tags it seems like a steal.
Sabre
DCAWD Founding Member

Post by Sabre »

thermobox wrote:200 even seems hard to swallow. But I guess when you put it up against elements 300+ and provas 400+ price tags it seems like a steal.
Funny, I had the same thought. Honestly, you could build a decent little catch can for $30... I've never understood places charging so much.
Sabre (Julian)
92.5% Stock 04 STI
Good choice putting $4,000 rims on your 1990 Honda Civic. That's like Betty White going out and getting her tits done.
sirwilliam
Resident Poop Expert

Post by sirwilliam »

I couldn't stomach the $299.99 price but I can definitely do the $209.99 price.

I have always been jealous of the prova one that Dave (Acquacow) has on his RSTi...very sweet. I also have an issue with usable area in my engine bay so this works nicely and has a very sweet finished look. Take into account it is a custom bit and has an extra fitting vs. the others that only have two fittings. Sure you can go with a small catch can of sorts but this you never have to worry about emptying it when it is full.

I guess I can make a pro and con list:

PROS:
-Looks great
-Extra fitting (allows you to separate the vapors from both the heads and the crankcase).
-Custom piece
-Clean look
-Cheaper than competitors
-Made well

CONS:
-Price (much less of a con with group buy :wink: )
-Inconvenience of removing core every time for an oil change.