Cylinder 4 Misfire

2.0, 2.5, NA, FI, it's all good in here

Moderator: Moderators

Libra Monkee

Re: Cylinder 4 Misfire

Post by Libra Monkee »

So we're set for Tuesday afternoon at MTM's place. If you want to help out but need the address, send me a PM and I'll get it to you.

Libra Monkee- "Helping DCAWD meet its Equal Opportunity requirement since 2006."
chicken n waffles

Post by chicken n waffles »

i'd like to help out in whatever way i can.
-Ben
Libra Monkee

Post by Libra Monkee »

Everything's still on for tomorrow evening. I'll try to get the stock parts loaded in the car tonight but I have GOT to get some rest. At the earliest, we'll be starting around 5. More details as they arrive.

Libra Monkee- "Helping DCAWD meet its Equal Opportunity requirement since 2006."
Libra Monkee

Post by Libra Monkee »

Just a reminder and an update; if you can make it out, I'll be starting at MTM's around 6 or 7. (5 was too unrealistic especially with traffic.)

zaxrex
DCAWD Founding Member

Post by zaxrex »

Text me the address already. Only been waiting for a day.... shesh.
Patience is the ability to idle your motor when you feel like stripping your gears
Libra Monkee

Post by Libra Monkee »

Text sent ;)

Mr Kleen
DCAWD Founding Member

Post by Mr Kleen »

are there already too many chefs for the stew? :lol:
Libra Monkee

Post by Libra Monkee »

Thanks to everyone who helped out yesterday. The uninstall/ install went relatively painless. However, the car is going up on a tow truck today.

On the way back the bottom most light (see picture) on my DCCD started blinking at me. Which, to me, implies that the rear diff just shat itself. So after I clear my valued bits out of the car I'm putting a call through to Subaru Roadside and having them haul that thing out of my sight.
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

Sabre
DCAWD Founding Member

Post by Sabre »

Hey Chuck!
Sorry I couldn't make it over to help earlier :( Work has me pretty tied up at the moment (and not in that good way). If it was the rear diff, there is a separate light just for that. DCCD only works on the center diff, so I thought originally it was something with that. After reading these two threads though, I think your problem is going to be VERY easy to fix (including the ABS!)
Thread 1
Thread 2

Cliff Notes:
I had this and my abs light on for a while this past summer - codes indicated a problem with the right rear wheel speed sensor. weird thing is after I jacked up the car, wiggled the wires around and turned the wheel the lights went off and never came back
Sounds like one guy even had a blown fuse that caused it.
Sabre (Julian)
92.5% Stock 04 STI
Good choice putting $4,000 rims on your 1990 Honda Civic. That's like Betty White going out and getting her tits done.
Libra Monkee

Post by Libra Monkee »

Thanks! But, its not the lights that are bothering me so much as it is the grinding noise coming from the rear axle. Which I believe to be the cause of the lights. It's sounds like I've got a blender in the trunk.

Sabre
DCAWD Founding Member

Post by Sabre »

I'd double check all of the exhaust hangers and look for rubbing spots. Since the ABS light was on before the noise, it might be unrelated. I've had exhaust rumblings before that sounds terrible.
Sabre (Julian)
92.5% Stock 04 STI
Good choice putting $4,000 rims on your 1990 Honda Civic. That's like Betty White going out and getting her tits done.
complacent
DCAWD Founding Member

Post by complacent »

Holy crap! That doesn't sound very good....

I'd agree with Sabre that it may be an exhaust thing. Exhaust rattle noises can be pretty horrid sounding. For your sake I'm hoping that it isn't any of the 3 diffs.

*vibes to monkee*
*vibes to monkee*
*vibes to monkee*
colin

a tank, a yammie, a spaceship
i <3 teh 00ntz
Libra Monkee

Post by Libra Monkee »

Sabre wrote:I'd double check all of the exhaust hangers and look for rubbing spots. Since the ABS light was on before the noise, it might be unrelated. I've had exhaust rumblings before that sounds terrible.
Nah, the noise started before the ABS light. About a week before the last meet. It's ever-present as long as the wheels are moving, even when coasting in Neutral.

Ugh! Then people ask me why I drink.

Sabre
DCAWD Founding Member

Post by Sabre »

:cry: :cry:
Sabre (Julian)
92.5% Stock 04 STI
zaxrex
DCAWD Founding Member

Post by zaxrex »

I did the rear section of the exhaust. Three stock rubber hangars hold that thing on, I would be shocked if the noise that Chuck is hearing would be the pipes. Especially since the noise only happens while moving.
Patience is the ability to idle your motor when you feel like stripping your gears
schvin
DCAWD Groupie

Post by schvin »

yikes! vibes, dude. sorry i couldn't make it over to help. swamped.
2004 impreza outback
1964 beetle
drwrx
DCAWD Founding Member

Post by drwrx »

I do hope all comes-out well.
I'm crossing my fingers for you.
Libra Monkee

Post by Libra Monkee »

UPDATE: The driver's side rear wheel bearings had to be replaced after a bolt on the rear axle loosened up enough for the bearings to tear themselves apart. The differential however, is fine. They got the engine apart and Cylinder 4 DOES of cracked ringlands (which are apparently the space between piston rings). They're still trying to determine whether or not this is covered in my warranty.

I think my next mod will include forged pistons.

complacent
DCAWD Founding Member

Post by complacent »

Alright! Finally at least some positive news!

*crosses fingers RE: pistons*
colin

i <3 teh 00ntz
drwrx
DCAWD Founding Member

Post by drwrx »

I just don't see how this isn't a warranty issue?
How can they claim it isn't?
Sabre
DCAWD Founding Member

Post by Sabre »

Bearings seem to go in Subie's with high millage or lots of heavy cornering.... I have no idea why mine haven't let loose.

Forged pistons are definitely the way to go!!!

As for the ring lands: They could make the case that it was because of an improper tune... but since you are running stock now, I don't know if they can make that argument ;)
Sabre (Julian)
92.5% Stock 04 STI
Libra Monkee

Post by Libra Monkee »

Well chaps, the verdict is in. What say they? In a word: NO. In more words: I'm getting that cracked ringlands are a results of detonation or an overly lean condition and as such are NOT covered under the warranty. The dealer wants $5600 for a new short block on top of whatever they're charging for taking the engine apart in the first place, which was estimated around $1200.

I still have a few phone calls to make but if you don't hear from me this weekend it's because I went up to Cherry Hill to throw a bomb through a window and will probably be pending the next few years in lock up. But it'll be totally worth it.

Sabre
DCAWD Founding Member

Post by Sabre »

ImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImage

Sorry to hear Chuck... I'd definitely try to escalate it to the Mid-Atlantic Rep!

For $5600, you could get a built short block installed!
Sabre (Julian)
92.5% Stock 04 STI
complacent
DCAWD Founding Member

Post by complacent »

Damn, that stinks. A lot. :-(

Towing to AR Fab?
colin

i <3 teh 00ntz
Libra Monkee

Post by Libra Monkee »

Well I've already decided that Subaru's not get any more of my money or business beyond what I already owe them for this POS. If fact, since I got suckered in to that Gold Plus Added Security warranty when I bought the thing I want to see if I cancel that and at least get a prorated amount back from them. Since it's not doing me any good anyhow.

So yes, if this next phone call goes the way I expect it to, once I get up the money to get it back from the dealer, the car will be heading to AR Fab.