Cylinder 4 Misfire

2.0, 2.5, NA, FI, it's all good in here

Moderator: Moderators

sirwilliam
Resident Poop Expert

Re: Cylinder 4 Misfire

Post by sirwilliam »

Man, that blows. May you get a great deal on a new engine!
2004 SG Model A PearlBlackObsidian (RIP)
2008 SG Model D BlueRallyWorld

"When I get sad, I stop being sad and be awesome instead. True story." -Barney Stinson
"Nothing shuts my pie-hole but pie." -Shawn Spencer
Sabre
DCAWD Founding Member

Post by Sabre »

drwrx wrote:
complacent wrote:I really need to quit neglecting mah poor toaster and get it a good road tune.
Or, you and I (and Julian) the Tacktrix cable and Wideband could take a couple of hours and get that thing set-up right.
Just let me know when and where :)
Sabre (Julian)
92.5% Stock 04 STI
Good choice putting $4,000 rims on your 1990 Honda Civic. That's like Betty White going out and getting her tits done.
complacent
DCAWD Founding Member

Post by complacent »

drwrx wrote:
complacent wrote:I really need to quit neglecting mah poor toaster and get it a good road tune.
Would you like to borrow mine, we're essentially the same (vf series turbo, up, exhaust, TMIC) I have an intake, but that shouldn't make that big a difference, it is an SPT.
I'd love to, but I already flashed my FXT ECU with an 04 STI base rom. I would either have to flash back to an FXT rom and then upload your map, or just pickup/create/borrow an STi tuned map.
drwrx wrote: Or, you and I (and Julian) the Tacktrix cable and Wideband could take a couple of hours and get that thing set-up right.
Now this sounds like fun! I need to see if the poor thing even starts... I haven't moved it since before the wedding. :oops:
drwrx wrote: Chuck, I'm so sorry for you man. Yes, the 06-07 were notorious for bad ringlands. The stock ECU tends to run crazy lean. There are lots of threads with logs that have AFRs at 14:1 and 15:1 in the open loop / closed loop threshold.
Holy :censor: !!! What the :censor: !!! Really?!?! That lean at the ol/cl crossover?? That's really messed up.
colin

a tank, a yammie, a spaceship
i <3 teh 00ntz
Sabre
DCAWD Founding Member

Post by Sabre »

^^^ Yep... apparently they did it for emissions... on a sports car... :roll:
Sabre (Julian)
92.5% Stock 04 STI
Good choice putting $4,000 rims on your 1990 Honda Civic. That's like Betty White going out and getting her tits done.
Mr Kleen
DCAWD Founding Member

Post by Mr Kleen »

Sabre wrote:^^^ Yep... apparently they did it for emissions... on a sports car... :roll:
this is why a dedicated sports sedan is better than a converted economy sedan. and don't get me wrong, I love my WRX.
another case of sad but true... :|
zaxrex
DCAWD Founding Member

Post by zaxrex »

Libra Monkee wrote:Also, what does BCSV stand for?
Boost
Control
Solenoid
Valve
Patience is the ability to idle your motor when you feel like stripping your gears
Libra Monkee

Post by Libra Monkee »

complacent wrote:I'm really sorry about all this Chuck. I even told you to reset the ecu and see if the code returns. :-( I thought for sure it was a set of plugs or a coilpack or something at worst.
Don't worry about it. I was hoping the same thing. Or at the VERY least whatever was wrong would be covered under the warranty.

Ah, well. At this price point it doesn't make sense to replace the stock motor with a another stock motor only so it can break on me within the following year. So, I'll call up AR Fab, and see what options they can give me. In the meantime, the car will remain parked except for business I can't handle on the bike (i.e. carrying large items) until I can save up the fundage to get it fixed. I could put the repairs on a card but I would REALLY rather not do that.

The lightning has faded.

Libra Monkee- "Helping DCAWD meet its Equal Opportunity requirement since 2006."
sirwilliam
Resident Poop Expert

Post by sirwilliam »

Yeah, I will have to agree w/ you get a beefier block. Good luck in your ventures, Chuck!
complacent wrote:
I'd love to, but I already flashed my FXT ECU with an 04 STI base rom. I would either have to flash back to an FXT rom and then upload your map, or just pickup/create/borrow an STi tuned map.
Woh, how did you swing that? I thought the '04 XT ECU was 16bit and the '04 STi ECU w/ 32bit? A lot more tables and info...or did you just borrow the info from certain tables and just replace that?
2004 SG Model A PearlBlackObsidian (RIP)
2008 SG Model D BlueRallyWorld

"When I get sad, I stop being sad and be awesome instead. True story." -Barney Stinson
"Nothing shuts my pie-hole but pie." -Shawn Spencer
complacent
DCAWD Founding Member

Post by complacent »

sirwilliam wrote:Yeah, I will have to agree w/ you get a beefier block. Good luck in your ventures, Chuck!
complacent wrote:
Woh, how did you swing that? I thought the '04 XT ECU was 16bit and the '04 STi ECU w/ 32bit? A lot more tables and info...or did you just borrow the info from certain tables and just replace that?
Nope, as I said... I flashed the entire STi ECU rom over to my FXT ECU. Julian and Darrin were with me when I did it. I now get to enjoy the benefits of the increased resolution of the STi ecu. Very happy about it too... especially regarding the transitions between ol/cl and lower boost vs tps %.

Basically all the crap that everyone talked on openecu and the like was just in fact that - crap. You absolutely can flash the STi rom in its entirety over to the FXT ECU. Or at least you can with the 04's. Hook up a tactrix to my ECU, turn the key, read the rom and it presents itself as an 04usdm sti (can't remember the exact ecu revision number at the moment).
colin

i <3 teh 00ntz
Libra Monkee

Post by Libra Monkee »

I might be able to get this fixed under warranty. I talked to SOA (finally) and they told me that should be covered barring I don't have serious engine mods (which all I have is an intake) and that I been using the right gas (I only use 93). I'll drop it of at Don Beyer again tomorrow and see what happens. Also, my ABS light is on. FML

Libra Monkee- "Helping DCAWD meet its Equal Opportunity requirement since 2006."
complacent
DCAWD Founding Member

Post by complacent »

What about the Utec? And the flash? Can you revert either?
colin

i <3 teh 00ntz
Sabre
DCAWD Founding Member

Post by Sabre »

Libra Monkee wrote:I might be able to get this fixed under warranty. I talked to SOA (finally) and they told me that should be covered barring I don't have serious engine mods (which all I have is an intake) ... Also, my ABS light is on. FML
You have:
A Utec
A Flashed ECU
An Intake (non-Subaru)
A Turobback (non-Subaru).
ANY of the above could be used against you.

I would yank the Utec off in a hurry, remove the MBC (if you are running it) and flash it back to stock asap. If you have the stock exhust, I'd put that back on there too. The Intake they have already noted, so no sense in ripping that out.

The ABS light could mean a couple of things...
Sabre (Julian)
92.5% Stock 04 STI
Libra Monkee

Post by Libra Monkee »

So it sounds basically like I'm still screwed. Because I can A) try to take the car back to stock and hope that they'll fixed it. If and when they don't, I still won't have a car I can use. Even in the off chance that they do, I'll have to put everything back. B) Keep trying to save so I can spend $4000-$6000 for a new engine, gaskets, and install. C) Park it somewhere seedy, hope it gets stolen, and collect the insurance.

Yeah the ABS light could be a number of things. But with my string of luck with this car, whatever it is will cost me at least another $2000.

woosah... woosah... fuggit

/vent

Sabre
DCAWD Founding Member

Post by Sabre »

All the stuff above can be taken off in a couple of hours... seems like it's worth the trouble!
Sabre (Julian)
92.5% Stock 04 STI
drwrx
DCAWD Founding Member

Post by drwrx »

Sabre wrote:All the stuff above can be taken off in a couple of hours... seems like it's worth the trouble!
Seriously, let's find a day and a group and let's pull everything off. I'd be happy to help. I still have a functioning Tactrix cable.
Libra Monkee

Post by Libra Monkee »

Cool, if y'all think we can get this done. Maybe it'll even be worth the effort. Let's see if we can't get something arranged.

chicken n waffles

Post by chicken n waffles »

did you keep your stock exhaust? i can't remember what you did with it when we slapped on your tbe.
-Ben
Libra Monkee

Post by Libra Monkee »

I still have it. Truth in fact, MrKleen was just getting on me for not getting rid of it. :fart:

drwrx
DCAWD Founding Member

Post by drwrx »

Libra Monkee wrote:I still have it. Truth in fact, MrKleen was just getting on me for not getting rid of it. :fart:
With the exception of my front brakes and front grille I have held on to every stock part I have ever removed (and the list is pretty long).
Yours is a shinning example of why i do.
thermobox
DCAWD Founding Member

Post by thermobox »

i'm down for a back to stock day.
Mr Kleen
DCAWD Founding Member

Post by Mr Kleen »

in my defense you kept a lot of stuff that wasn't worth keeping. :lol:
zaxrex
DCAWD Founding Member

Post by zaxrex »

Talking to Chuck, or talking to me?

If you were talking to me, then give me the brake pad clips back...

:poke:

Just kidding
Patience is the ability to idle your motor when you feel like stripping your gears
Mr Kleen
DCAWD Founding Member

Post by Mr Kleen »

zaxrex wrote:Talking to Chuck, or talking to me?

If you were talking to me, then give me the brake pad clips back...
Both!

:OMG:

:rolllaugh: :wink:

(thanks again for those clips)
Libra Monkee

Post by Libra Monkee »

Okay I talked with Monster Truck Matt (MTM), Sabre, and a few others at the meet last night about taking the car back to stock. I want to try to get this thing back to stock as soon as possible before this this car goes completely to :censor: .

If anyone wants to come out and help turn wrenches, it'll be during the week at MTM's place since he's not available on weekends. The exact day is still TBD but, more than likely, it'll be early next week.

ElZorro
DCAWD Founding Member

Post by ElZorro »

I'll be back late Monday night, so Tuesday or later I can help. I think Julian's the same.
Jason "El Zorro" Fox
'17 Subaru Forester 2.0XT
DCAWD - old coots in fast scoots.