Cylinder 4 Misfire

2.0, 2.5, NA, FI, it's all good in here

Moderator: Moderators

zaxrex
DCAWD Founding Member

Re: Cylinder 4 Misfire

Post by zaxrex »

Sh|+, sorry to hear that, Chuck.
I would tell SOA that you are going to have the engine torn down and inspected to verify their conclusion. Which is true, if you are taking it to AR Fab.
If there was evidence of detonation due to lean conditions, then there will be more than one cyl with issues. If there is no sign of detonation, heat scoring, bearing ware, etc. on the other 3, then it would go to say that the piston was at fault...
Patience is the ability to idle your motor when you feel like stripping your gears
Libra Monkee

Post by Libra Monkee »

Okay I've come to a decision but it's going to require that I come up with $5000 in the next month. So, I'm making my services available. If you know of any ladies who need a companion for the night have them call 888-588-HUNG. I don't care what they look like, I don't have time to be picky. Hell, if I get desperate enough I may even have to cross the fence.
:ugh:

Libra Monkee- "Helping DCAWD meet its Equal Opportunity requirement since 2006."
chicken n waffles

Post by chicken n waffles »

perhaps a small bank loan is in order?
-Ben
zaxrex
DCAWD Founding Member

Post by zaxrex »

Well, if you are going to have that work done and get something built, let me know if you are interested in the billet steel crank and semi-closed deck of mine. I even have unused ARP head bolts to go along with it, before Andrewtech broke my JDM heads.

What is the dealership doing about the axle?
Patience is the ability to idle your motor when you feel like stripping your gears
drwrx
DCAWD Founding Member

Post by drwrx »

I'm so disappointed in SOA (and their dealers).
The standard default response is always "NO"
Oh sure we'll warranty a $250 piece but anything major and it's always some runaround BS.

I'm really sorry to hear it man.
Libra Monkee

Post by Libra Monkee »

chicken n waffles wrote:perhaps a small bank loan is in order?
Oh sure! Why don't I strap on my loan helmet and squeeze down into a loan cannon and fire off into Loanland where loans grow on little loanies.

Sorry I was having an Always Sunny in Philadelphia moment. :P

And zaxrex. I think I'll take you up on that crank you have. I'm not sure the full extent of the damage to the engine but AR Fab says there's a good chance I'll need a new crank. I won't know for sure until they get a chance to look at it.

Libra Monkee- "Helping DCAWD meet its Equal Opportunity requirement since 2006."
Sabre
DCAWD Founding Member

Post by Sabre »

If it's just ring landings, you might be able to get away with:
Pistons
Rings
Bearings

Ya never know! How many miles does the car have on it? Just over 36k, right? The rest should be in good shape. Howard will be able to tell you for sure though. BTW, he has a friend that does towing for him IIRC. Might be able to cut you a good price!
Sabre (Julian)
92.5% Stock 04 STI
Good choice putting $4,000 rims on your 1990 Honda Civic. That's like Betty White going out and getting her tits done.
sirwilliam
Resident Poop Expert

Post by sirwilliam »

man, that really sucks dookie, Chuck. Get the new engine and get it done right. May wondrous car happenings come your way!
2004 SG Model A PearlBlackObsidian (RIP)
2008 SG Model D BlueRallyWorld

"When I get sad, I stop being sad and be awesome instead. True story." -Barney Stinson
"Nothing shuts my pie-hole but pie." -Shawn Spencer
Libra Monkee

Post by Libra Monkee »

Things have officially been set in to motion. AR Fab is picking up the car tomorrow. The Ramen diet has started anew.

Sabre
DCAWD Founding Member

Post by Sabre »

:banana2: :banana2: :banana2:

Seriously though, I'm very happy to hear this!
Sabre (Julian)
92.5% Stock 04 STI
Good choice putting $4,000 rims on your 1990 Honda Civic. That's like Betty White going out and getting her tits done.
Libra Monkee

Post by Libra Monkee »

Okay! After talking to just about everyone who works for Subaru, they're going to cut me a check (prorated of course) for the remainder of my warranty.

ElZorro
DCAWD Founding Member

Post by ElZorro »

Cool, I'm sure every little bit helps.
Jason "El Zorro" Fox
'17 Subaru Forester 2.0XT
DCAWD - old coots in fast scoots.
complacent
DCAWD Founding Member

Post by complacent »

that was halfway decent of them... i guess.

what happens when your trans is teh borked or an a/c compressor goes?

is the money they'll give you worth it?

(friendly neighborhood devil's advocate here)
colin

a tank, a yammie, a spaceship
i <3 teh 00ntz
chicken n waffles

Post by chicken n waffles »

complacent wrote:that was halfway decent of them... i guess.

what happens when your trans is teh borked or an a/c compressor goes?

is the money they'll give you worth it?

(friendly neighborhood devil's advocate here)
exactly what i was thinking.

good of them to do something, though. blue lightning needs to get her pretty ass in gear (c wut i did thar?).
-Ben
complacent
DCAWD Founding Member

Post by complacent »

chicken n waffles wrote: blue lightning needs to get her pretty ass in gear (c wut i did thar?).
a nose job wouldn't hurt either.

(c wut i did thar? )

*ducks*
colin

i <3 teh 00ntz
Libra Monkee

Post by Libra Monkee »

So this is the estimate I got back from AR Fab. First question, how much of this stuff don't I need?
Charles__Page_1.jpg
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

complacent
DCAWD Founding Member

Post by complacent »

Ouch! To be honest, the only thing I can see is perhaps the forged rods. Assuming the stockers are straight and can be fitted with new bearings without too much work of course.

Other than that, I can't blame them for wanting to replace every little part (oil cooler, oil pump, water pump, etc) that could possibly have some debris in it... It's the only way they could guarantee their own work IMHO.

Damn thassa lossa cash.
colin

i <3 teh 00ntz
Sabre
DCAWD Founding Member

Post by Sabre »

First off, what happened to your engine? What kind of damage and such?

The fact that they are including the some of those parts makes me think there was some major damage.

Are you sure you want to build up something like this? It's a hell of a block, but unless you are going to put a big turbo on it, it doesn't make much sense to go that big. A setup like that will include:
Big turbo $1700-2000
Injectors $400-600
Fuel Pump $70-200
Tune $200-600
FMIC $300-1000

A stock replacement engine would run you a good bit less if you are just going to stay with the stock turbo. Whatever you do, make sure to get a good tune on it!
Sabre (Julian)
92.5% Stock 04 STI
zaxrex
DCAWD Founding Member

Post by zaxrex »

This may be a 'worst case' scenario estimate so they don't shoot themselves in the foot. I have a feeling that after their 'inspection', most of your ancillary parts will be OK. I.E.;I'm not sure what kind of debris would be in the tensioner pulley or water pump that would warrant their replacement. If there is no damage to the oil strainer, cooler, and pan include them in the "dissasembly, inspection and degrease" and use them again.

I do have one question.

Why do they make a line item for dissasembly and assembly in each 'package' and then charge for the same description again? If the block and heads are taken apart, cleaned, and reassembled under the recon Engine and Recon Head packages, shouldn't it be fairly clean and assembled?