Oil catch can

2.0, 2.5, NA, FI, it's all good in here

Moderator: Moderators

scheherazade
DCAWD Groupie

Oil catch can

Post by scheherazade »

Oil catch can (intake) :
Do these things matter? Does it matter if there is some oil in the IC/intake?

-scheherazade
Mr Kleen
DCAWD Founding Member

Re: Oil catch can

Post by Mr Kleen »

a bit of a debate on this topic developed on this thread.

I have one (a Greddy) because it's a neat bit of kit (sorry, been home sick watching Top Gear). if they were completely necessary they would be factory equipment. :wink:
sirwilliam
Resident Poop Expert

Post by sirwilliam »

If they were useless, they wouldn't sell so well.
2004 SG Model A PearlBlackObsidian (RIP)
2008 SG Model D BlueRallyWorld

"When I get sad, I stop being sad and be awesome instead. True story." -Barney Stinson
"Nothing shuts my pie-hole but pie." -Shawn Spencer
thermobox
DCAWD Founding Member

Post by thermobox »

Mr Kleen wrote:a bit of a debate on this topic developed on this thread.

I have one (a Greddy) because it's a neat bit of kit (sorry, been home sick watching Top Gear). if they were completely necessary they would be factory equipment. :wink:
like intercoolers? oil,tranny,fuel, etc. coolers? nothing is absolutely necessary. certain things make an engine better. it was not long ago when turbos were fed directly into throttle bodies. when oil coolers were aftermarket options. i believe it is a worthwhile, cheap, and functional mod.
Mr Kleen
DCAWD Founding Member

Post by Mr Kleen »

sirwilliam wrote:If they were useless, they wouldn't sell so well.
APC stickers seem to sell pretty well. :wink:

a correctly installed oil catch-can will keep oil out of the intercooler and intake tract and that's a good thing.
but is it a GREAT thing?
if it were worth the weight/cost/complexity you would see them as original equipment on (for instance) the 911 Turbo. it's a boxer engine with a high pressure turbo and has a price tag well into 6 figures. there are plenty of high mileage WRX's and STi's (and 911 Turbos) out there without one. installing one isn't nearly as beneficial as an intercooler, but it's not a complete waste of time and money like a spiralmax.

if you want an oil catch-can then by all means install one.
I did. :wiggle:
sirwilliam
Resident Poop Expert

Post by sirwilliam »

Mr Kleen wrote:
sirwilliam wrote:If they were useless, they wouldn't sell so well.
APC stickers seem to sell pretty well. :wink:

a correctly installed oil catch-can will keep oil out of the intercooler and intake tract and that's a good thing.
but is it a GREAT thing?
if it were worth the weight/cost/complexity you would see them as original equipment on (for instance) the 911 Turbo. it's a boxer engine with a high pressure turbo and has a price tag well into 6 figures. there are plenty of high mileage WRX's and STi's (and 911 Turbos) out there without one. installing one isn't nearly as beneficial as an intercooler, but it's not a complete waste of time and money like a spiralmax.

if you want an oil catch-can then by all means install one.
I did. :wiggle:
:lol: gotta love those APC stickers!

I ran a helix catch can in my last forester after seeing all the blow-by accumulating in the elbow hose of the TMIC. Blow-by can destroy the efficiency of the TMIC if it accumulates enough.

I have a gigantic air/oil seperator and a brand new Perrin blue CC. Have to figure out which to install...it will be going in w/ my 18G.
2004 SG Model A PearlBlackObsidian (RIP)
2008 SG Model D BlueRallyWorld

"When I get sad, I stop being sad and be awesome instead. True story." -Barney Stinson
"Nothing shuts my pie-hole but pie." -Shawn Spencer