PLEASE HELP

2.0, 2.5, NA, FI, it's all good in here

Moderator: Moderators

avriette
DCAWD Groupie

Re: PLEASE HELP

Post by avriette »

02SilverWRX wrote:Well, SOA is going to send me a $500 check within the next 4 weeks, the total came out to $6,181.34... Of which i paid the entire amount because the other dealer i bought it from said they can not pay until friday or some crazy b.s.!!! Stohlman told me that i needed a whole lot of parts such as $324 gaskets and crap which made parts worth $3,465 and labor was supposively a straight 26 hours coming out to like $2500 approx... The only reason i paid 100% of it is because i was dropped off by my mom who had to leave and we were guaranteed the car and then i had to wait 6 hours before they were ACTUALLY done... Then they told me that they would not let me take the car when i paid my half even tho the other dealership guaranteed payment! The car does run good but for some reason the tranny feels a little bumpy in between shifts... I even caught the lot attendant doggin the car on the way to the front with my brand new motor in it!
I think part of the problem here, dude, is user education. Gaskets are about the best money you can spend on an engine rebuild. Fancy piston rings and billet engine bits are no good if your gaskets fail. The same can be said for synthetic oils and e.g., water wetter. For a complete rebuild, $324 is a great price for OEM gaskets. I paid about that much for your average Jegs garbage to rebuild my L28T in college.

Perhaps look at it this way. If you have a rebuilt engine, it's in good shape. If you treat it right, like Colin is suggesting, you should be able to make reliable power out of it. In fact, you can probably pull 400hp to the wheels out of it. But the way you're going at things, you're going to pop the sucker. I'm not even certain why you want a blowoff valve.

</sanctimonious nasioc ranting>
rocket scientist
Sabre
DCAWD Founding Member

Post by Sabre »

avriette wrote:
complacent wrote:you are greatly running the risk of ruining a brand new engine that you were forced into paying a lot of money for.
Looking at that number again, I hafta wonder why nobody mentioned AR Fab.
Because the dealership is going to pay for a portion of it and we figured they would only do that if it was done by SOA ;) Trust me, I'd be the first to recommend them for a motor rebuild that was not going to be covered, even partially, by SOA.
Sabre (Julian)
92.5% Stock 04 STI
Good choice putting $4,000 rims on your 1990 Honda Civic. That's like Betty White going out and getting her tits done.
02SilverWRX
Unicycle

Post by 02SilverWRX »

Yeah i understand the break in period, i have not gotten it over 4500 rpm or any crazy stuff but even subaru said it was unnormal to be running 8 psi... I tried adjusting the actuator but no matter how much adjusting i did it STILL stays at 8 psi... Am i doing something wrong? i am going to carlos o'kelleys tonight if anybody is going to be there that would like to show me how to adjust that would be great!
2004 335 AWHP WRB WRX Stage 4
2005 525 AWHP AW STi
02SilverWRX
Unicycle

Post by 02SilverWRX »

Okay, so i made it to the taco shop meet tonight and Collin checked out my car, told me a couple pointers to take a peek at which i will in the morning, One Problem though! When i got home i was pulling into the garage and my car just randomly turned off! Didnt stall, just turned off, just the same way it did the day my rod bearing failed last time! Could it be that because that stupid hks blow off valve was it just made the idle cut off since it was not recirculating because it kinda felt like thats what it was...
2005 525 AWHP AW STi
BryanH
Unicycle

Post by BryanH »

If you have concerns please call the guys that worked on it. Have you been taking this thing to redline? On a brand new engine?????

You have a warranty of at least 30 days on the work they performed....stop screwing with it and for the love of all that is holy in the world do not beat on it.
complacent
DCAWD Founding Member

Post by complacent »

I agree with Bryan on this one man. Check out all those loose hoses I pointed out, then take it back to the shop that handled all the work. They should absolutely be able to rectify this.
colin

a tank, a yammie, a spaceship
i <3 teh 00ntz
02SilverWRX
Unicycle

Post by 02SilverWRX »

o no I have not taken it to redline or anywhere near it, today I was in fourth gear and it hit 12 psi but didnt get back up there any more... I fixed hoses and everything and no difference so I just letting it get used to itself for a couple days and see what happens
2005 525 AWHP AW STi
02SilverWRX
Unicycle

Post by 02SilverWRX »

Okay, i have a question, if a dealership quotes you a specific warranty but they are incorrect, isnt that breach of contract? The dealership i purchased my wrx from only paid $700 today because i didnt get my engine rebuilt from the shop around the corner even though he told me to go to stohlman specifically!
2005 525 AWHP AW STi
Mr Kleen
DCAWD Founding Member

Post by Mr Kleen »

02SilverWRX wrote:Okay, i have a question, if a dealership quotes you a specific warranty but they are incorrect, isnt that breach of contract? The dealership i purchased my wrx from only paid $700 today because i didnt get my engine rebuilt from the shop around the corner even though he told me to go to stohlman specifically!
sounds like a question for a lawyer. word of advice: if it isn't in writing, it didn't happen.
complacent
DCAWD Founding Member

Post by complacent »

02SilverWRX wrote:Okay, i have a question, if a dealership quotes you a specific warranty but they are incorrect, isnt that breach of contract? The dealership i purchased my wrx from only paid $700 today because i didnt get my engine rebuilt from the shop around the corner even though he told me to go to stohlman specifically!

Whisky Tango Foxtrot??!?!

Lawyer up and quick man! Something stinks...
colin

a tank, a yammie, a spaceship
i <3 teh 00ntz
chicken n waffles

Post by chicken n waffles »

Mr Kleen wrote:if it isn't in writing, it didn't happen.
-Ben
zaxrex
DCAWD Founding Member

Post by zaxrex »

Documentation is proof.
Patience is the ability to idle your motor when you feel like stripping your gears
Sabre
DCAWD Founding Member

Post by Sabre »

02SilverWRX wrote:I tried adjusting the actuator but no matter how much adjusting i did it STILL stays at 8 psi...
Crap, a thought just came to me... 8-9PSI is probably waste gate pressure for your turbo! I bet you one of the lines to the Boost Control Solenoid is hosed. You coming to taco's this Wednesday? I'll be sure to come if you can and check it for ya!
Sabre (Julian)
92.5% Stock 04 STI
Good choice putting $4,000 rims on your 1990 Honda Civic. That's like Betty White going out and getting her tits done.
02SilverWRX
Unicycle

Post by 02SilverWRX »

Sabre wrote:Crap, a thought just came to me... 8-9PSI is probably waste gate pressure for your turbo! I bet you one of the lines to the Boost Control Solenoid is hosed. You coming to taco's this Wednesday? I'll be sure to come if you can and check it for ya!
Hey i cant make it to this week's taco meet because i have a business meeting in Hawaii until thursday morning, I took a look at the solenoid with a couple friends of mine who drive a wrx & an sti and they couldnt figure anything out either, what do you mean by hosed? How can i figure out if that is the problem?
zaxrex wrote:Documentation is proof.
I have the warranty paper that says that it has a 5 year/100,000 mile warranty left from subaru that the guy gave me and also he said that he guaranteed that the parts on the car would not void the warranty...
2005 525 AWHP AW STi
avriette
DCAWD Groupie

Post by avriette »

02SilverWRX wrote: I have the warranty paper that says that it has a 5 year/100,000 mile warranty left from subaru that the guy gave me and also he said that he guaranteed that the parts on the car would not void the warranty...

Hm. Mine came with a 3/36, and Mike Kentes has told me the drivetrain (at least diffs and shafts) are good for 60k (my rear diff has been making some strange bump-in-the-night noises). Where are you seeing this 5/100 business?
rocket scientist
02SilverWRX
Unicycle

Post by 02SilverWRX »

avriette wrote:Where are you seeing this 5/100 business?
Exactly what i am saying, subaru told me that the warranty was for 60k on the powertrain or what not and this dealership gave me a paper that states i have the remainder of the factory warranty (5 yr/100,000) through subaru guaranteed but there isnt a warranty that long so is that false on their part?
2005 525 AWHP AW STi
Sabre
DCAWD Founding Member

Post by Sabre »

You can purchase a 5/100 warranty for any Subaru from the dealership :)

02SilverWRX: You coming to the meet tomorrow night? If so, I can look at it then.
Sabre (Julian)
92.5% Stock 04 STI
02SilverWRX
Unicycle

Post by 02SilverWRX »

Hey Yeah i will make it to the meet tomorrow, I need to meet with somebody to drive up there behind or something though because i dont know my way and i think my friend is going to be borrowing my nav still! So where do you guys usually meet up to convoy up there?
2005 525 AWHP AW STi
02SilverWRX
Unicycle

Post by 02SilverWRX »

THANK YOU EVERYBODY WHO HELPED!!!

I got around to installing the manual boost controller yesterday and i hit 16 psi easy so it was the boost solenoid that was bad... I just gonna run the manual boost controller for now but the 0-60 times from the accessport are so much better... before when i was running low boost with no launch i was getting 0-60 in 8.35 seconds... worst than stock, today i did a 0-60 performance reading with no launch and got 5.3 seconds... :-) Much better thanks for the help everybody!!
2005 525 AWHP AW STi
drwrx
DCAWD Founding Member

Post by drwrx »

Glad to hear it!
Watch for boost spikes and boost creep when using a manual boost controller.
Boost spikes: Boost jumps up to 18-19psi then settles back to 16 psi.
Boost creep: Boost increases as RPMs and increases with each gear.
Libra Monkee

Post by Libra Monkee »

Good to hear things are finally working for you. Try not to blow this one up, alright? ;)

Libra Monkee- "Helping DCAWD meet its Equal Opportunity requirement since 2006."
02SilverWRX
Unicycle

Post by 02SilverWRX »

WoW, hey guys guess what... Yesterday my alternator decided to mess up and so i had it repaired by Stohlman Subaru and they charged me $200... I was speaking to the manager about the boost solenoid which was dead which was the cause of my boost problems as you all know and he got mad and said that its not dead and that i dont know what i am looking at, I told him that i didnt know what was wrong and that i had asked some people from DCAWD and they told me what to check and that it was the boost solenoid that in fact was messed up! LMAO he said that by "DCAWD" I must be talking about a group of kids who are opening their hoods saying who car is faster than whos... i thought that was funny, just wanted to share!!!
2005 525 AWHP AW STi
ElZorro
DCAWD Founding Member

Post by ElZorro »

02SilverWRX wrote:WoW, hey guys guess what... Yesterday my alternator decided to mess up and so i had it repaired by Stohlman Subaru and they charged me $200... I was speaking to the manager about the boost solenoid which was dead which was the cause of my boost problems as you all know and he got mad and said that its not dead and that i dont know what i am looking at, I told him that i didnt know what was wrong and that i had asked some people from DCAWD and they told me what to check and that it was the boost solenoid that in fact was messed up! LMAO he said that by "DCAWD" I must be talking about a group of kids who are opening their hoods saying who car is faster than whos... i thought that was funny, just wanted to share!!!
Were you dealing with Matt over there? If so, I need to have a little chat with him.
Jason "El Zorro" Fox
'17 Subaru Forester 2.0XT
DCAWD - old coots in fast scoots.
02SilverWRX
Unicycle

Post by 02SilverWRX »

Yeah, i was working with matt, he is the one who said that! He seemed like a very friendly person but then once they did a bad job on the car and were getting lazy at their job then he got very frustrated because they wouldnt just order the parts, they wanted to use parts that were existing from other cars and throw them all together but i didnt want that, they did that anyways and got mad when i left a bad remark to them so he just refunded the money!
2005 525 AWHP AW STi