1st night with 92x and probs

2.0, 2.5, NA, FI, it's all good in here

Moderator: Moderators

goob_os101
DCAWD Groupie

1st night with 92x and probs

Post by goob_os101 »

Just got home from the dealer with my 05 92x aero w 52k

Well I noticed something fishy. When I hit 3,700-4,000 rpm in 3rd and 4th the boost/power starts to flux. The boost starts to build and I start to feel a constant gain, then it starts to hesitate/stutter.

Is it normal or could it be a boost leak?

Oh Noes :shock:
zaxrex
DCAWD Founding Member

Post by zaxrex »

Well, one thing to think about is that it is fairly cold today. If you got this car from a dealer, odds are it wasn't running much in the cold weather or/and they took the terminals off of the battery.

It may be that your ECU needs to adjust itself for the dense air. Your boost builds quicker as you go up in gears due to higher load. It could just be that the car is learning the maps in that higher load area.

Stumbling would not be a direct cause of a boost leak, usually sometihing with timing, or funky wastegate action...

Just some thoughts.

You should run it with some logging of the engine parameters so we can help you document what is going on.
Patience is the ability to idle your motor when you feel like stripping your gears
Sabre
DCAWD Founding Member

Post by Sabre »

My first thought was wastegate fluttering. Zak makes a good point about cold air + reset ECU though!
Sabre (Julian)
92.5% Stock 04 STI
Good choice putting $4,000 rims on your 1990 Honda Civic. That's like Betty White going out and getting her tits done.
Phibs
DCAWD Groupie

Re: 1st night with 92x and probs

Post by Phibs »

goob_os101 wrote:Just got home from the dealer with my 05 92x aero w 52k

Well I noticed something fishy. When I hit 3,700-4,000 rpm in 3rd and 4th the boost/power starts to flux. The boost starts to build and I start to feel a constant gain, then it starts to hesitate/stutter.

Is it normal or could it be a boost leak?

Oh Noes :shock:
The only way to figure out what's going on would be some data logging but a boost issue @ that RPM does sound fishy...
Bryan
2012 WRX 5-Door Limited
zaxrex
DCAWD Founding Member

Post by zaxrex »

It doesn't sound like he is sure it is a boost issue since he has no boost gauge. Just sees power loss. But logging would be the best thing.
Patience is the ability to idle your motor when you feel like stripping your gears