Does anyone run Alky or meth from their factory I/C sprayer

2.0, 2.5, NA, FI, it's all good in here

Moderator: Moderators

TAPOUT
Unicycle

Does anyone run Alky or meth from their factory I/C sprayer

Post by TAPOUT »

I have been considering getting a few more HP out of my car on pump gas. Since I already have a GT35R and built motor, I figured I could use the Factory I/C sprayer hoses and bottle in the trunk for meth or alky on pump gas. I was wondering if anybody local is doing this now, and if I could take a look/ride and see how yours runs. I'll be happy to take you for a ride as well...
complacent
DCAWD Founding Member

Post by complacent »

I believe zaxrex is our resident meth and alky junkie.

He's a mad scientist, that one...
colin

a tank, a yammie, a spaceship
i <3 teh 00ntz
Phibs
DCAWD Groupie

Post by Phibs »

Try the AEM kit, it's about $350 and from what people tell me ( Dan @ Mach5, a tuner or two ) it's worth it.
Bryan
2012 WRX 5-Door Limited
Mr Kleen
DCAWD Founding Member

Post by Mr Kleen »

Zak and Julian are the resident experts on water/meth injection. Z is on travel right now but will probably check the boards in the next few days...
drwrx
DCAWD Founding Member

Post by drwrx »

Zak and Julian run the aguamist (hydramist for Julian, same thing) which uses a different pump than AEM, Snow Performance, etc. which all use the shur-flow pump.

Water/Alky injection is a very "involved" process and offers great performance improvements as well as improved fuel economy.

You should corner either of them at an upcomming meet and pick their brains for an hour or so. They are both supporters of the science.

I'm a bit of a detractor, but I'll spare all of you my take.
Sabre
DCAWD Founding Member

Post by Sabre »

As has been mentioned, both Zak and I run Meth/H2O injection. We both run (as close as possible) at 50/50 mix.

Zak has the Aquamist 1s kit. The kit is based on a relay that is triggered when a desired boost is reached. I believe Zak has it triggering at 5PSI and has a .7mm jet.

I run the Hydramist, which is a modified version of a Aquamist 2d system + a DDS3 + a SureFlow pump that has been modified. The Hydra (EM) controls the flow via a High Speed Valve (HSV), so flow can be controlled via a map like gas is.

Meth/H2O injection can definitely improve your safety and power if it is done correctly. What EM are you running? If you have a Hydra, the HydraMist is the way to go. Everything else has trade offs. If you're looking for safety, a Aquamist 1s is great. Basically add it with a appropriate sized jet and you have an umbrella of safety when you go to the track. Since you are looking for more power, I would look into something with flow detection like the Aquamist kits with the addition of a DDS3. This will allow you to run WI with the added safety should the WI system clog or fail.

We can definitely talk next meet (next one is in Springfield) or on here, doesn't matter to me. I'm always up for taking people out for rides too :)
Sabre (Julian)
92.5% Stock 04 STI
Good choice putting $4,000 rims on your 1990 Honda Civic. That's like Betty White going out and getting her tits done.
Phibs
DCAWD Groupie

Post by Phibs »

Yeah, it's all about how much you want to spend really. For the price, the AEM has a failsafe and monitor system and will certainly work fine. If you want more peace of mind the more expensive kits might be better.
Bryan
2012 WRX 5-Door Limited
complacent
DCAWD Founding Member

Post by complacent »

Aquamist has pretty much been the "standard" for water injection, both here and in he UK for a good while now.

There's a ginormous isht-ton of info available here, which is sponsored and moderated by Aquamist UK.

Good stuffs.
colin

i <3 teh 00ntz
TAPOUT
Unicycle

Post by TAPOUT »

I think the crystal ball has an HFS-5 kit in my future.
zaxrex
DCAWD Founding Member

Post by zaxrex »

vas dis? I missed an opportunity to talk about alcohol being consumed by my car, while at the same time I consume alcohol? I gotta work on my -- timing.
Badum bum, *snare drum*

I'll be here all zee veek. Be sure und tip jour vaitress.
Patience is the ability to idle your motor when you feel like stripping your gears
TAPOUT
Unicycle

Re: Does anyone run Alky or meth from their factory I/C sprayer

Post by TAPOUT »

So, I ended up with the Aquamist HFS-5 kit. It is completely installed, and I am having Kelford cams installed next week with a dyno trip the following week. June 10 will be a great day for me. I will be done with the power adders for my car. Time for the suspension. I picked up RCE Yellow springs, and hope to get them in sometime in the next week or so as well.

Pics...http://www.cardomain.com/ride/2470543/5
I think 600 to the wheels ought to do it...
complacent
DCAWD Founding Member

Post by complacent »

TAPOUT wrote:So, I ended up with the Aquamist HFS-5 kit. It is completely installed, and I am having Kelford cams installed next week with a dyno trip the following week. June 10 will be a great day for me. I will be done with the power adders for my car. Time for the suspension. I picked up RCE Yellow springs, and hope to get them in sometime in the next week or so as well.

Holy crap! You have quite an impressive list of power adders there. Do you have a specific goal (ET, trap, etc) in mind?
colin

i <3 teh 00ntz
TAPOUT
Unicycle

Post by TAPOUT »

complacent wrote:
TAPOUT wrote:So, I ended up with the Aquamist HFS-5 kit. It is completely installed, and I am having Kelford cams installed next week with a dyno trip the following week. June 10 will be a great day for me. I will be done with the power adders for my car. Time for the suspension. I picked up RCE Yellow springs, and hope to get them in sometime in the next week or so as well.

Holy crap! You have quite an impressive list of power adders there. Do you have a specific goal (ET, trap, etc) in mind?
My goal is to hit 500+ AWHP on 93 + meth. and maybe 475 on just pump, and we want to see how close to 600 we can get on VP C16. If I hit the goals, I'd like to see a mid 10 second run on race gas, and low 11 on pump. 8)
drwrx
DCAWD Founding Member

Post by drwrx »

TAPOUT wrote:My goal is to hit 500+ AWHP on 93 + meth. and maybe 475 on just pump, and we want to see how close to 600 we can get on VP C16. If I hit the goals, I'd like to see a mid 10 second run on race gas, and low 11 on pump. )
You should be able to get 500+whp with meth on the TurboXS Dynapack. I assume your running a 50/50 mix. I'm not certain about the 475 on just pump even with the cams. The GT35R just isn't that efficient at low boost on pump, but who knows. I do see a 10 second run in your future especially on race gas. There is a common trend to not spray when running race gas, but I would try to get a map with both. While the race gas doesn't require the extra octane that the meth adds, the cooling charge from the water is very beneficial.

That really is a sweet set-up your running there. Before you install a set of springs, you may want to get a ride in Julian's with the new coil-over set up to get a feel for what that is like.
Mr Kleen
DCAWD Founding Member

Post by Mr Kleen »

after dropping all that cash into the engine bay I'm surprised you're just doing springs for suspension. if your primary interest is drag racing then coil-overs are probably overkill, but then again what about your STi ISN'T overkill :lol:
TAPOUT
Unicycle

Post by TAPOUT »

drwrx wrote:
TAPOUT wrote:My goal is to hit 500+ AWHP on 93 + meth. and maybe 475 on just pump, and we want to see how close to 600 we can get on VP C16. If I hit the goals, I'd like to see a mid 10 second run on race gas, and low 11 on pump. )
You should be able to get 500+whp with meth on the TurboXS Dynapack. I assume your running a 50/50 mix. I'm not certain about the 475 on just pump even with the cams. The GT35R just isn't that efficient at low boost on pump, but who knows. I do see a 10 second run in your future especially on race gas. There is a common trend to not spray when running race gas, but I would try to get a map with both. While the race gas doesn't require the extra octane that the meth adds, the cooling charge from the water is very beneficial.

That really is a sweet set-up your running there. Before you install a set of springs, you may want to get a ride in Julian's with the new coil-over set up to get a feel for what that is like.
I'm actually going to run a 75/25 mix. I also put down 430 by the fourth pull on the dyno the first time we tuned. We just left it there since we were going to tune the race gas MAP a bit more aggressively. We thought we could get over 450 on pump last time, and the boost was tapering due to the .9bar wastegate spring. I have a 1.4bar spring now, and the boost does not taper up top.

As nice as coilovers are, I have spring budget right now. I also just got my rear shocks replaced under warranty, and I do not push the limits of the suspension as it is now. Maybe next year I will up the ante for the suspension. I do plan to do some decent bars for it by fall.
Last edited by TAPOUT on Thu May 29, 2008 11:30 am, edited 1 time in total.
TAPOUT
Unicycle

Post by TAPOUT »

Mr Kleen wrote:after dropping all that cash into the engine bay I'm surprised you're just doing springs for suspension. if your primary interest is drag racing then coil-overs are probably overkill, but then again what about your STi ISN'T overkill :lol:
Also, did I mention I work in a bunch of unfinished new home communities where the roads have huge lifted manhole covers and such? The RCE Yellows are all I need for the time being.
TAPOUT
Unicycle

Post by TAPOUT »

So, tonight I retuned for the Kelford .264 AVCS cams, and we ended up at 476 HP and 394 TQ on pump gas. We overheated the dyno and stopped after 3 runs on meth at 512 HP and 419 TQ.
drwrx
DCAWD Founding Member

Post by drwrx »

Very, Very Nice!
Did you go out and road tune it after the dyno explosion?
My guess is that you can get another 20 whp or so off the alky injection.
TAPOUT
Unicycle

Post by TAPOUT »

drwrx wrote:Very, Very Nice!
Did you go out and road tune it after the dyno explosion?
My guess is that you can get another 20 whp or so off the alky injection.
That is about what we are thinking. We also think we can get a little more out of pump since we were tuning in 93 degree temps.

Jermaine did a road tune for the pump gas, but he wanted to do some more tuning on the Dyno with the meth before road tuning with that. The car is really fast. It is almost as fast now on pump as it was on race gas. We were able to get the turbo to start spooling about 300 RPM sooner and I can feel a huge difference driving it on the highway. It is starting into boost much earlier, and I almost don't have to downshift to pass anyone.
zaxrex
DCAWD Founding Member

Post by zaxrex »

I wonder what you are going to reach first, the laws of physics, or the law of the road?
Patience is the ability to idle your motor when you feel like stripping your gears
TAPOUT
Unicycle

Post by TAPOUT »

zaxrex wrote:I wonder what you are going to reach first, the laws of physics, or the law of the road?
Physics, I hope...

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=T8nRmtYWscM
TAPOUT
Unicycle

Post by TAPOUT »

Well, in case anyone hasn't heard, I put down 624AWHP/528AWTQ on VP C16.
Sabre
DCAWD Founding Member

Post by Sabre »

:shock: :shock: :dropgob:

NICE!
Sabre (Julian)
92.5% Stock 04 STI
Good choice putting $4,000 rims on your 1990 Honda Civic. That's like Betty White going out and getting her tits done.
complacent
DCAWD Founding Member

Post by complacent »

Holy :censor:
colin

i <3 teh 00ntz