Jay

11 STI Hatch
"Wagon Mafia"
Stage 1 Baby
sirwilliam
Resident Poop Expert

Re: This turbo looks hot

Post by sirwilliam »

I bet that turbo is fun in stop and go traffic or congested city driving.
2004 SG Model A PearlBlackObsidian (RIP)
2008 SG Model D BlueRallyWorld

"When I get sad, I stop being sad and be awesome instead. True story." -Barney Stinson
"Nothing shuts my pie-hole but pie." -Shawn Spencer
complacent
DCAWD Founding Member

Post by complacent »

On a car with a 7-8k redline? No thanks.

If it revved to 16-17k? Bring it on!
colin

a tank, a yammie, a spaceship
i <3 teh 00ntz
Sabre
DCAWD Founding Member

Post by Sabre »

sirwilliam wrote:
lol, you'd never get on boost, so you wouldn't have to worry ;)

It would be like driving Suzie's Legacy most of the time unless you wrung the poor thing out to 6k all the time.
Sabre (Julian)
92.5% Stock 04 STI
Good choice putting $4,000 rims on your 1990 Honda Civic. That's like Betty White going out and getting her tits done.
avriette
DCAWD Groupie

Post by avriette »

Sabre wrote:
sirwilliam wrote:
It would be like driving Suzie's Legacy most of the time unless you wrung the poor thing out to 6k all the time.
I find driving the LGT a lot of fun around corners. You can see them coming up and just stay on the gas. What the rear end suspension doesn't do for you, the e-brake will. That having been said, with our car (the STI), we normally wind out first and third to 5500rpm (skipping 2nd and 4th), and 5th if we're feeling naughty. Some of the turbos I've seen that will produce boost up to 7,000rpm kind of confuse me. It's kind of like saying you'd have to get to the "car asplode" level to feel boost.
rocket scientist
complacent
DCAWD Founding Member

Post by complacent »

Suz's leggy is N/A Alex. :wink:
colin

a tank, a yammie, a spaceship
i <3 teh 00ntz
sirwilliam
Resident Poop Expert

Post by sirwilliam »

Sabre wrote:
sirwilliam wrote:
lol, you'd never get on boost, so you wouldn't have to worry ;)

I was being facetious, Julian. The turbo doesn't have real world usable power.
2004 SG Model A PearlBlackObsidian (RIP)
2008 SG Model D BlueRallyWorld

"When I get sad, I stop being sad and be awesome instead. True story." -Barney Stinson
"Nothing shuts my pie-hole but pie." -Shawn Spencer
drwrx
DCAWD Founding Member

Post by drwrx »

It's basically a GT3582R with the large T31 housing on it with this "HTA compressor technology!" Notice they are very tight lipped on what that is exactly.

Actually the difference is quite amazing from the standard GT35R which accoding to them put down 511 whp 464 ftlbs and the "New" turbo put down 634 whp 582 ftlbs (120 who 120 ftlbs). Those are impressive numbers, especially with the faster spool. And while the power seems a bit slow your still getting over 300 ftlbs by 4,500 RPMs and 400 ftlbs by around 5,000 RPMs while not super quick that really isn't that slow. And, an STI might even get there quicker with the extra .5 liter displacement.

Here's the problem: $1,700 for the turbo may sound like a good deal until you realize you have to find/fab an up-pipe, down-pipe, wastegate, intake, and IC hoses. as well as mounts for everthing as well. How much do you think all that is going to cost? (answer: quite a lot)

I'd say pick-up a GT3582R kit from Ultimate Racing for $3,600. It includes everything you need (up-pipe, down-pipe, dump tube, intake, piping, external wastegate, etc. Then pay the $450 fee to refit it with the 82mm HTA compressor wheel and advanced ported shroud cover and perform a CHRA balance.
TAPOUT
Unicycle

Post by TAPOUT »

drwrx wrote:It's basically a GT3582R with the large T31 housing on it with this "HTA compressor technology!" Notice they are very tight lipped on what that is exactly.

Actually the difference is quite amazing from the standard GT35R which accoding to them put down 511 whp 464 ftlbs and the "New" turbo put down 634 whp 582 ftlbs (120 who 120 ftlbs). Those are impressive numbers, especially with the faster spool. And while the power seems a bit slow your still getting over 300 ftlbs by 4,500 RPMs and 400 ftlbs by around 5,000 RPMs while not super quick that really isn't that slow. And, an STI might even get there quicker with the extra .5 liter displacement.

Here's the problem: $1,700 for the turbo may sound like a good deal until you realize you have to find/fab an up-pipe, down-pipe, wastegate, intake, and IC hoses. as well as mounts for everthing as well. How much do you think all that is going to cost? (answer: quite a lot)

I'd say pick-up a GT3582R kit from Ultimate Racing for $3,600. It includes everything you need (up-pipe, down-pipe, dump tube, intake, piping, external wastegate, etc. Then pay the $450 fee to refit it with the 82mm HTA compressor wheel and advanced ported shroud cover and perform a CHRA balance.
The article said they just swapped it out on the same kit. Has anyone got one of these yet???
zaxrex
DCAWD Founding Member

Post by zaxrex »

yeah. I think i've got one under the stairs...
Patience is the ability to idle your motor when you feel like stripping your gears
Phibs
DCAWD Groupie

Post by Phibs »

I keep my spare GT35R snails in the laundry room!
Bryan
2012 WRX 5-Door Limited
TAPOUT
Unicycle

Re:

Post by TAPOUT »

Phibs wrote:I keep my spare GT35R snails in the laundry room!
Can I borrow it while I send my polished one out for treatment???
I think 600 to the wheels ought to do it...
drwrx
DCAWD Founding Member

Post by drwrx »

There is only one comparison of a GT35R vs the HTA GT35R I have seen.
It's here:
http://forums.nasioc.com/forums/showthr ... ?t=1521073

634 whp on a Dyno Dynamics. The gain was 34whp and 25 lb/ft with no changes in the map, and it spooled nearly the same as the non-HTA GT35R.

There are also quite a few HTA FP Green plots out now and those make huge gains on the regular FP Greens.
TAPOUT
Unicycle

Post by TAPOUT »

I've heard FP is booked up for 30-45 days to service existing turbos.
I think 600 to the wheels ought to do it...