burning smell at wot?

2.0, 2.5, NA, FI, it's all good in here

Moderator: Moderators

FreddyG
Bicycle

burning smell at wot?

Post by FreddyG »

hey guys quick question, sometimes i get a burning smell when im wot in 5th gear at about 3k rpm and up (i know not to put it to the floor when the rpms are less than that) any ideas, it smells like burning rubber and i cant smell anything really after i turn the car off and look just hot engine smell.
"If you see a bomb technician running, follow him."
- USAF Ammo Troop
Sabre
DCAWD Founding Member

Re: burning smell at wot?

Post by Sabre »

You can put it to the floor anytime, as long as 1.) the car is warmed up 2.) the clutch is full engaged. When I'm tuning, I usually have the RPM around 2k and then floor it up to redline. I've done hundreds of pulls like that :) Whenever you do do them though, always give the car a few minutes to cool down before shutting the engine off. This helps everything cool down, especially the turbo. Doesn't really matter if you're on the road though, only if you are on your way home and do it just before you park.

Anyway, It's probably just stuff heating up and burning off. Unless you see smoke, I wouldn't worry.
Sabre (Julian)
92.5% Stock 04 STI
Good choice putting $4,000 rims on your 1990 Honda Civic. That's like Betty White going out and getting her tits done.
FreddyG
Bicycle

Post by FreddyG »

the car is always fully warmed up before i floor it, thanks for the words of wisdom :), when are you heading down to frederick to build your car you think? Hoping its not next weekend because im going home to visit cuz i get monday off for presidents day
"If you see a bomb technician running, follow him."
- USAF Ammo Troop
drwrx
DCAWD Founding Member

Post by drwrx »

There is usually a great deal of grime that builds up in the engine bay over time.
When you are really pushing the revs the under hood temps get very, VERY hot.
You are probably smelling the grime gassing-out or burning off.
Julian is right, if you see smoke, stop, pull over and let the engine cool down.