Timing Belt questions

2.0, 2.5, NA, FI, it's all good in here

Moderator: Moderators

4X4R8D
I'm a n000b

Timing Belt questions

Post by 4X4R8D »

Where is the best garage to get the Timing Belt replaced? Locally near the Woodbridge and Springfield area..

If I were to purchase my own kit.. Should I? Should I look at the kits on Ebay? http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/Subaru-W ... ccessories

Or should I look at just getting the timing belt(any thing specific?) and certain pulleys(and which pulleys?)?

I can turn a wrench, but I have not done any engine work. We can have a Mod day at Ft. Belvoir if anyone could help that has done the job..

Let me know what are my best options.. Thanks everyone..
2005 9-2X Aero 4EAT/Premium/Cold Weather/Sport Package/Deep Blue Metallic
http://s34.photobucket.com/albums/d110/rs1620/Saabaru/ OldYJ Civic Xterra
complacent
DCAWD Founding Member

Re: Timing Belt questions

Post by complacent »

i would highly recommend having a professional do the job. with an interference type engine, any mistakes can be very costly.

that being said, i don't know of any shops in the woodbridge area personally. closest to you i could recommend is don beyer subaru on rt1 in alexandria. depending on where you are in woodbridge, it might not be too bad a trip.
colin

a tank, a yammie, a spaceship
i <3 teh 00ntz
4X4R8D
I'm a n000b

Post by 4X4R8D »

complacent wrote:i would highly recommend having a professional do the job. with an interference type engine, any mistakes can be very costly.

that being said, i don't know of any shops in the woodbridge area personally. closest to you i could recommend is don beyer subaru on rt1 in alexandria. depending on where you are in woodbridge, it might not be too bad a trip.
I work at Ft. Belvoir so, I have an idea where it is. I'll call to see how much it's going to run me..

Thanks for the reply.
Sabre
DCAWD Founding Member

Post by Sabre »

Ya, even on my wife's car (01 Legacy L) I didn't attempt to do the belt myself. There is just too much that can go wrong. Even though I trust Ebay sellers for exhaust and such, I wouldn't trust them with a timing belt. Get an OEM belt, pulley's, etc. Honestly, I would take it to Don Beyer (we all trust them) and tell them that you want a list of the items that they are going to do before they do the work. Have them do the timing belt and anything else that you're not comfortable doing, then save the easy stuff for you to do (I think there is a coolant flush, spark plug replacement etc. at the 100k mark).
Sabre (Julian)
92.5% Stock 04 STI
Good choice putting $4,000 rims on your 1990 Honda Civic. That's like Betty White going out and getting her tits done.
4X4R8D
I'm a n000b

Post by 4X4R8D »

I decided to take it to Beyer Subaru this Friday. I talked to Mike over there in the service department. So no worries.. Thanks for everyone's reply..
complacent
DCAWD Founding Member

Post by complacent »

4X4R8D wrote:I decided to take it to Beyer Subaru this Friday. I talked to Mike over there in the service department. So no worries.. Thanks for everyone's reply..
while you're there, look for thermobox (matt) over in sales. he's one of our founding members and a heck of a nice guy.
colin

i <3 teh 00ntz
thermobox
DCAWD Founding Member

Post by thermobox »

Thanx Colin. Me and Ralph are already buddies. I kind of inadvertantly veered him into the purchase of the Saabaru.
4X4R8D
I'm a n000b

Post by 4X4R8D »

thermobox wrote:Thanx Colin. Me and Ralph are already buddies. I kind of inadvertantly veered him into the purchase of the Saabaru.
Yes sir!. I've known you and Kelly for years. And yes you got me hooked on the Saabaru. I'll be there Friday if you are there..Again thanks to everyone for the advice ..
complacent
DCAWD Founding Member

Post by complacent »

4X4R8D wrote:
thermobox wrote:Thanx Colin. Me and Ralph are already buddies. I kind of inadvertantly veered him into the purchase of the Saabaru.
Yes sir!. I've known you and Kelly for years. And yes you got me hooked on the Saabaru. I'll be there Friday if you are there..Again thanks to everyone for the advice ..
haha, right on! :lol:
colin

i <3 teh 00ntz
thermatico
Yugo owner

Post by thermatico »

It's generally the right time to have the water pump replaced as well. It may not require, but it's cheap insurance. They'll also probably also want replace the tensioners for the timing belt and any accessory belts.
complacent
DCAWD Founding Member

Post by complacent »

thermatico wrote:It's generally the right time to have the water pump replaced as well. It may not require, but it's cheap insurance. They'll also probably also want replace the tensioners for the timing belt and any accessory belts.

This is a most excellent piece of advice.
colin

i <3 teh 00ntz
4X4R8D
I'm a n000b

Post by 4X4R8D »

complacent wrote:
thermatico wrote:It's generally the right time to have the water pump replaced as well. It may not require, but it's cheap insurance. They'll also probably also want replace the tensioners for the timing belt and any accessory belts.

This is a most excellent piece of advice.
It was already in the works..no worries.. trust me, I have had a lot of projects in the past.