Master Plan, Part Deux [Tesla/Musk]

Non-technical forum for other car makes. Good example: VW fan sites.

Moderator: Moderators

ElZorro
DCAWD Founding Member

Master Plan, Part Deux [Tesla/Musk]

Post by ElZorro »

https://www.tesla.com/blog/master-plan-part-deux
Master Plan, Part Deux

Elon Musk July 20, 2016

The first master plan that I wrote 10 years ago is now in the final stages of completion. It wasn't all that complicated and basically consisted of:
  1. Create a low volume car, which would necessarily be expensive
  2. Use that money to develop a medium volume car at a lower price
  3. Use that money to create an affordable, high volume car
    And...
  4. Provide solar power. No kidding, this has literally been on our website for 10 years.
The reason we had to start off with step 1 was that it was all I could afford to do with what I made from PayPal. I thought our chances of success were so low that I didn't want to risk anyone's funds in the beginning but my own. The list of successful car company startups is short. As of 2016, the number of American car companies that haven't gone bankrupt is a grand total of two: Ford and Tesla. Starting a car company is idiotic and an electric car company is idiocy squared.

However, the main reason was to explain how our actions fit into a larger picture, so that they would seem less random. The point of all this was, and remains, accelerating the advent of sustainable energy, so that we can imagine far into the future and life is still good. That's what "sustainable" means. It's not some silly, hippy thing -- it matters for everyone.

So, in short, Master Plan, Part Deux is:

Create stunning solar roofs with seamlessly integrated battery storage
Expand the electric vehicle product line to address all major segments
Develop a self-driving capability that is 10X safer than manual via massive fleet learning
Enable your car to make money for you when you aren't using it
Jason "El Zorro" Fox
'17 Subaru Forester 2.0XT
DCAWD - old coots in fast scoots.
ElZorro
DCAWD Founding Member

Re: Master Plan, Part Deux [Tesla/Musk]

Post by ElZorro »

http://www.latimes.com/business/autos/l ... story.html
Tesla's stock slips after Elon Musk reveals his 'master plan'

After more than a week of teasing about its existence, Elon Musk revealed Part 2 of his “master product plan” for Tesla on Wednesday evening. Or, as he calls it, “part deux.”

In a blog post published on the automaker’s website, Musk introduced a multiyear, four-pronged strategy that includes new kinds of Tesla vehicles, expanded solar initiatives, updates on Tesla’s “autopilot” technology and a ride-sharing program.

Tesla’s stock Thursday morning was trading down about 2%, at $224.

Jason "El Zorro" Fox
ElZorro
DCAWD Founding Member

Post by ElZorro »

And now at -3.44%...
Jason "El Zorro" Fox
Sabre
DCAWD Founding Member

Post by Sabre »

Smart guy... good for him for taking the risk so that the rest of us could benefit!
Sabre (Julian)
92.5% Stock 04 STI
Good choice putting $4,000 rims on your 1990 Honda Civic. That's like Betty White going out and getting her tits done.
ElZorro
DCAWD Founding Member

Post by ElZorro »

And #4 begins.

http://www.latimes.com/business/la-fi-t ... story.html

Tesla stock had recovered after the announcement, and last night was trading at a thee-month high, but is mostly down today.
Jason "El Zorro" Fox
drwrx
DCAWD Founding Member

Post by drwrx »

Sorry, but I do not hold Musk in very high regard;
As of 2016, the number of American car companies that haven't gone bankrupt is a grand total of two: Ford and Tesla.
Yet, the company has produced quarterly losses since its inception. Its quarterly net-profit position has worsened from $-61.9million to $-184.2million year-over-year (YOY) to a total of -$889 million according to the Wall Street Journal.

The only things keeping it afloat are the U.S. Department of Energy loan of $465 million and that the stock is currently worth around $12 billion. Which is way, WAY overrated. Eventually this is going to come to an end. The stock will not rise forever and the investors will cut and run like rats off a sinking ship. This is the very model of a "bubble." Tesla isn't worth anywhere near $12 billion, and has almost no assets. Musk has done some very shady stuff with Tesla as well. Like repaying a "loan" he made to the company at over 10% interest in shares of stock at a price well below what the current market value was at the time. That option to convert his $38 million of debt into shares of Tesla stock are now worth a whopping $1.4 billion—a 3,500 percent return on his investment. And while Musk claims Tesla paid off $300 million of the DOE loan, paid at 2% interest, there has been no confirmation from the DOE of that.
Sabre
DCAWD Founding Member

Post by Sabre »

It's funny, I've seriously considered buying some Tesla stock, but something always stopped me. I actually think that the company could succeed given a fair market place, but the political side (other car companies and the politicians in their pockets) will prevent it. They also need to increase the costs of the cars to cover more of the expenses.

Official statement on payback from energy.gov My googlefu was in full swing this morning ;)
Sabre (Julian)
92.5% Stock 04 STI
Good choice putting $4,000 rims on your 1990 Honda Civic. That's like Betty White going out and getting her tits done.
drwrx
DCAWD Founding Member

Post by drwrx »

Sabre wrote:Official statement on payback from energy.gov My googlefu was in full swing this morning ;)
Good catch. My original source must have been out of date.

To be fair, there are a number of hurdles that stand in the way of Tesla being able to sell cars nationwide that I consider unfair. Most of them have to do with auto dealerships blocking their entry to the market, and I do hope they overcome all of those. They also have lots of production issues that will not be easily remedied, and I wish them luck with those as well. Ultimately I would like Tesla to succeed. I also would love to see more electric cars, but I do have my doubts about their large scale viability.

My personal issue is with Musk himself. I see him as a bit of a snake oil salesman (Hyperloop) who is not above enriching himself at the expense of others.