rally-fy a VW GTI

Non-technical forum for other car makes. Good example: VW fan sites.

Moderator: Moderators

Mr Kleen
DCAWD Founding Member

rally-fy a VW GTI

Post by Mr Kleen »

My car needs some suspension work before it can pass it's next inspection in the spring. I had thought of the standard sort of upgrades while replacing the parts but then it occurred to me to do something a little different. I'm now thinking of going with a mild rally-esk type build. So far this has proven a little more diffiuclt as 99.99% of the VW scene is about stance and slamming.

If anyone has any tips or links for doing this sort of build, help a brother out. :mrgreen:
zaxrex
DCAWD Founding Member

Re: rally-fy a VW GTI

Post by zaxrex »

Nothing says rally more than urethane mud flaps on all 4 corners, roof vent scoop, and full undercarriage skid plate.
But really, you already have the brakes/lines/tires.
Suspension and camber plates? Upgrade cooling system? Cockpit comms system/headsets to mute the screaming and crying coming from the baby seat in back?
Patience is the ability to idle your motor when you feel like stripping your gears
Sabre
DCAWD Founding Member

Post by Sabre »

lol, need more information. Are you talking light bars, raised suspension and skid plates?
Sabre (Julian)
92.5% Stock 04 STI
Good choice putting $4,000 rims on your 1990 Honda Civic. That's like Betty White going out and getting her tits done.
Mr Kleen
DCAWD Founding Member

Post by Mr Kleen »

I found a thread, got carried away dreaming...

Found out this guy not only cut the fenders all the way to the frame but he also had to fabricate new A-arms. So yeah, just dreaming about doing crazy shit to my beater. :rolllaugh:
12235366.jpg
12236521.jpg
12218333.jpg
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
zaxrex
DCAWD Founding Member

Post by zaxrex »

Would be perfect in O.D. green
Patience is the ability to idle your motor when you feel like stripping your gears
Sabre
DCAWD Founding Member

Post by Sabre »

^^^ Agreed. That's fairly badass
Sabre (Julian)
92.5% Stock 04 STI
Good choice putting $4,000 rims on your 1990 Honda Civic. That's like Betty White going out and getting her tits done.
Mr Kleen
DCAWD Founding Member

Post by Mr Kleen »

Not brave enough to hack up the GTI. I love how that one turned out though. He eventually got a supercharger setup to motivate those tires. The build thread is pretty amazing, watching it take shape over a couple years.

Sigh, I'll stick to the safe option and just refresh the suspension over the winter.