2016 Jaguar F-Type AWD plus stick shift

Non-technical forum for other car makes. Good example: VW fan sites.

Moderator: Moderators

Sabre
DCAWD Founding Member

2016 Jaguar F-Type AWD plus stick shift

Post by Sabre »

AutoWeek

Jaguar is rolling out a range of revisions for the 2016 F-Type; it goes on sale in late April. The lineup balloons from six to 14 derivatives -- there’s new electric power steering, a new 8-inch touchscreen infotainment system, and optional eye candy that now includes a carbon fiber roof, styling pack and revised alloy wheel designs.

The V8 R coupe also relinquishes its exclusive hold on torque-vectoring by braking -- it can subtly brake the inside wheels in corners, killing understeer -- which becomes standard on all models, save for the entry-level V6, where it’s an extra-cost option.

But the big news is the introduction of all-wheel drive and a six-speed manual gearbox. Both V8 R AWD and V6 S AWD models are available, while the manual gearbox is restricted to rear-drive V6 and V6 S models; the manual can’t handle the V8’s torque-bomb.

The all-wheel-drive system is a development of Jaguar’s existing hardware already seen in the XF and XJ, with the balance tilted toward dynamics where the sedans favor traction. One hundred percent of torque flows to the F-type’s rear axle in normal conditions, but goes forward via an electronically controlled center coupling when extra traction is required.

The system uses Intelligent Driveline Dynamics (IDD) to measure yaw rate, steering angle, speed, and lateral and longitudinal acceleration. The promise is that once IDD computes the best response, it ensures the all-wheel-drive system, rear differential and stability-control system all integrate harmoniously. Anyone who’s ever driven a V8 F-Type in the wet knows that extra driveshafts are far more necessary here than they are in a Porsche 911, so it’s a logical addition to the range.

Packaging the all-wheel-drive hardware means the hood’s power dome is now a little more pronounced, but it’s crisply executed and adds a more purposeful look. But beware unwanted inflations elsewhere, including the price –- up $6,000 to $87,800 on the V6 S, while the R AWD bumps beyond $100K to $106,600 –- and weight rises a relatively small 176 pounds, but still pushes the all-aluminum R to 3,814 pounds.

How does that square up to the 911? Carrera 4 and 4S models are significantly lighter at around 3,200 pounds with the PDK auto, compared with 3,691 pounds for the V6 S and 3,814 for the V8 R. But Jaguar hits back in the bang-for-buck stakes: the V6 S makes 30 hp more than the 350-hp Carrera 4, but retails for $7,310 less; the V8 R has a huge 150 hp on the 400-hp 4S, but costs $3,100 less.
I seriously lust after these things. I just have a REALLY hard time justifying the cost in my head. Oh man is it beautiful though.
Sabre (Julian)
92.5% Stock 04 STI
Good choice putting $4,000 rims on your 1990 Honda Civic. That's like Betty White going out and getting her tits done.
Mr Kleen
DCAWD Founding Member

Re: 2016 Jaguar F-Type AWD plus stick shift

Post by Mr Kleen »

Is the V6 S AWD available with a manual? I'm not 100% clear.
I wouldn't mind testing out the AWD system. After trying BMW's X-Drive I gained a new appreciation for "sometimes things that sound good on paper don't always translate to the real world enjoyment."

If I really had $106k to spend on a car I'd have to go with the GT4 over all others. That thing is special.
drwrx
DCAWD Founding Member

Post by drwrx »

I LOVE the F-Type. It is such a good looking car from any angle, both in person, in print and on screen.
But the biggest issue with these (or 911s for that matter) is . . . Corvette.
I know no AWD in Corvette land (and it ain't coming anytime soon), but the bang for the buck of an F-Type or 911 (not to mention the extra costs of ownership) is at such a level below the Vette I just can't see it.
The 1LT with the Z51 package is only $60,000 and the new Z06 starts at $79,000.
At $106k, are they really worth the $30-50k extra?

You may commence with any and all anti-vette talk now. Some of it will will have merit.
Sabre
DCAWD Founding Member

Post by Sabre »

Gabe: Agreed on the AWD systems. The GT4 is GORGEOUS!

Darrin: I agree with you. They fixed the interior materials and the thing looks great, so I understand the logical argument. Sometimes you just can't help yourself though and lust after the sex ;)
Sabre (Julian)
92.5% Stock 04 STI
Good choice putting $4,000 rims on your 1990 Honda Civic. That's like Betty White going out and getting her tits done.
Mr Kleen
DCAWD Founding Member

Post by Mr Kleen »

C7 trumps a lot of cost/benefit car conversations LOL!