2016 Ford Focus RS - AWD!

Non-technical forum for other car makes. Good example: VW fan sites.

Moderator: Moderators

Sabre
DCAWD Founding Member

2016 Ford Focus RS - AWD!

Post by Sabre »

Yahoooooooo

Hot hatches are a staple of European car culture, something Americans typically don't get. It's why Ford hasn't offered its brilliant Focus RS on these shores for many years, despite true enthusiasts clamoring for it. A niche product it is, and yet Ford has finally confirmed that we will soon see the new RS in U.S. dealerships, and today, that car has been revealed: Boasting "well in excess" of 316 hp and 320 lb.-ft. of torque, that bountiful amount of power is routed to each and every wheel.

Yes, the new RS has gone back to its all-wheel-drive roots.

That was the main debate when guessing the specifics of the new RS: FWD or AWD? The fact Ford has chosen the latter shows how serious the company is about producing the hottest hatch of them all. And it's not just any AWD system, the RS features torque vectoring, allowing 70 percent of torque to the rear axle, 100 percent of which can be applied to either wheel.

Under the hood lies the 2.3-liter turbocharged four-cylinder from the new Mustang EcoBoost. While a four-banger in a Mustang is still a topic of hot debate, in a Focus RS, it aligns perfectly (it does feature a few tweaks to the turbocharger). What's more, that motor is meshed to a proper six-speed manual gearbox. And as you'd imagine, damping, spring rates, sway bars and just about every other handling component has been tuned, by Ken Block no less, for ultimate performance. And let's not forget the current Focus ST is a stunner in of itself; the RS, with its sticky Michelin Pilot Sport Cup 2 tires, should be phenomenal -- at least on paper.

What we don't know at this point is price for the Focus RS. A Golf R starts at $37,000, with a WRX STI a tick below $35,000. To many Americans, that may seem like a lot of dough for a European-built Focus, but if that's your view then maybe you just don't get it. Hot hatches look good, they're practical, and with their diminutive size they offer a unique driving experience, one that begs to be thrashed to redline and chucked around canyon curves like you're the next Sébastien Loeb. Like Carroll Shelby said, these type of cars are "pocket rockets."

The new RS promises to live up to that description, and even if the take rate in the U.S. turns out to be low, I for one am ecstatic it's here
The RS are appealing to me more and more...
Sabre (Julian)
92.5% Stock 04 STI
Good choice putting $4,000 rims on your 1990 Honda Civic. That's like Betty White going out and getting her tits done.
drwrx
DCAWD Founding Member

Re: 2016 Ford Focus RS - AWD!

Post by drwrx »

All I can say is About Time!
Ford has finally stepped-up and is giving us the products we have been hoping for for decades.
Boasting "well in excess" of 316 hp and 320 lb.-ft.
Be still my heart!
Mr Kleen
DCAWD Founding Member

Post by Mr Kleen »

want
Mr Kleen
DCAWD Founding Member

Post by Mr Kleen »

My guess for MSRP is $36,000. Right between the STi and the Golf R.
Sabre
DCAWD Founding Member

Post by Sabre »

I think it might be worth it at that price too. With the Mustang getting the same engine, you know the aftermarket is going to go nuts with it.
Sabre (Julian)
92.5% Stock 04 STI
Good choice putting $4,000 rims on your 1990 Honda Civic. That's like Betty White going out and getting her tits done.
Mr Kleen
DCAWD Founding Member

Post by Mr Kleen »

Sabre wrote:I think it might be worth it at that price too. With the Mustang getting the same engine, you know the aftermarket is going to go nuts with it.
That engine will be the middle option on the US Mustang and I believe the only engine for the European Mustang, and the RS is a world car now. I anticipate a LOT of aftermarket support. Not that it will need it: there are rumors that it will have 350HP and 350tq!

It's a shame that they're dropping that crazy neon green color. I see that color RS more than all others combined.
I'd be forced to order mine in black and the have it wrapped. :pimp:

Now I want to see one with ralley lights across the front. :nana:
zaxrex
DCAWD Founding Member

Post by zaxrex »

Mr Kleen wrote:My guess for MSRP is $36,000. Right between the STi and the Golf R.
So, just a bit over average new vehicle price of $33,993
Just imagine the deals on used truck in three years when gas prices go back up.
Patience is the ability to idle your motor when you feel like stripping your gears
Mr Kleen
DCAWD Founding Member

Post by Mr Kleen »

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Qy-mhyUAaqE[/video]

Everyone has probably seen this, but I want to keep this thread up to date.
I'm pretty excited about this car. Depending on my next job, I could easily see one of these ending up in my driveway.
Sabre
DCAWD Founding Member

Post by Sabre »

I hadn't seen that.... good stuff!

It's coming at the right price point, that's for sure. I would like to know more about the AWD system it uses.
Sabre (Julian)
92.5% Stock 04 STI
Mr Kleen
DCAWD Founding Member

Post by Mr Kleen »

Sabre
DCAWD Founding Member

Post by Sabre »

Very interesting...

Tid bits:
The Ford Performance All-Wheel-Drive system is based on twin electronically controlled clutch packs on each side of the rear drive unit. These manage the car's front/rear torque split, and can control the side-to-side torque distribution on the rear axle – delivering the "torque vectoring" capability that has a dramatic impact on handling and cornering stability.

The control unit in the rear drive unit continuously varies the front/rear and side-to-side torque distribution to suit the current driving situation, monitoring inputs from multiple vehicle sensors 100 times per second. A maximum of 70 percent of the drive torque can be diverted to the rear axle. Up to 100 percent of available torque at the rear axle can be sent to each rear wheel.

During cornering, the rear drive unit pre-emptively diverts torque to the outer rear wheel immediately based on inputs such as steering wheel angle, lateral acceleration, yaw and speed. This torque transfer has the effect of "driving" the car into the bend, achieving improved turn-in and stability, and virtually eliminating understeer.

Translation: There isn't a center differential, but the rear diff has an electronically-controlled clutch pack that can send up to 70% of the power to the rear axle. It has another clutch pack that acts as an electronic LSD for the rear axle. The rear diff does active (i.e. not brake-based) torque vectoring.

To deliver optimum driving dynamics, the Ford Performance All-Wheel-Drive system was calibrated alongside the car's advanced Electronic Stability Control, in particular the brake-based Torque Vectoring Control system that works in parallel with the torque-vectoring AWD.

Translation: The front differential is an open differential with brake-based torque vectoring.
Honestly, it doesn't sound as sophisticated at the Subaru one.

Other links:
AWD Rundown: The Top All-Wheel-Drive Systems
What’s the Best All-Wheel-Drive System for You?
Sabre (Julian)
92.5% Stock 04 STI
ElZorro
DCAWD Founding Member

Post by ElZorro »

Hmm, color me interested.
Jason "El Zorro" Fox
'17 Subaru Forester 2.0XT
DCAWD - old coots in fast scoots.
Mr Kleen
DCAWD Founding Member

Post by Mr Kleen »

From what I've read it isn't as good as Subaru's AWD for snow and ice, but it's cheaper and lighter and comes in a better looking package. :wink:
Sabre
DCAWD Founding Member

Post by Sabre »

Mr Kleen wrote:From what I've read it isn't as good as Subaru's AWD for snow and ice, but it's cheaper and lighter and comes in a better looking package. :wink:
:lol: Sadly true....
Sabre (Julian)
92.5% Stock 04 STI
Mr Kleen
DCAWD Founding Member

Post by Mr Kleen »

345hp!?!?!?!
HELL YEAH.jpeg
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
Sabre
DCAWD Founding Member

Post by Sabre »

Subaru needs to step up!
Sabre (Julian)
92.5% Stock 04 STI
Mr Kleen
DCAWD Founding Member

Post by Mr Kleen »

Now Ford is saying that Ford Ireland jumped the gun; the car is still being tested and that the HP figure has not been finalized.
zaxrex
DCAWD Founding Member

Post by zaxrex »

It was probably just metric horse power, somebody muffed on the conversion...
Patience is the ability to idle your motor when you feel like stripping your gears
Mr Kleen
DCAWD Founding Member

Post by Mr Kleen »

Ford Ireland listed it in metric, the 345HP was the conversion. ;-)
Mr Kleen
DCAWD Founding Member

Post by Mr Kleen »

zaxrex
DCAWD Founding Member

Post by zaxrex »

sou desu ne!
ElZorro
DCAWD Founding Member

Post by ElZorro »

This is a surprisingly tempting car. But, is the extra 130HP worth the $7k over a Mazda3 5-door? Hahah, I can't believe I even typed that with a straight face. Of course it is!
Jason "El Zorro" Fox
'17 Subaru Forester 2.0XT
DCAWD - old coots in fast scoots.
WRXWagon2112
DCAWD Founding Member

Post by WRXWagon2112 »

So what's the official U.S. price? Converting from British Pounds isn't the best indicator.
drwrx
DCAWD Founding Member

Post by drwrx »

ElZorro wrote:This is a surprisingly tempting car. But, is the extra 130HP worth the $7k over a Mazda3 5-door? Hahah, I can't believe I even typed that with a straight face. Of course it is!
The real question is whether the RS is worth the extra coin over an ST?
Sure it has more power and AWD. But that may not translate into that much better performance.
Right now you can find new Focus STs (with the Recaro performance pack) for under $25k.
If the cost of the RS is $10k above that (as I suspect it may be) I'm not certain it's worth it.

Full disclosure: I love the RS! I love that Ford makes it! I love that the US is finally going to get it!
It's just that if they are going to ask $40k for it, that's a deal breaker.

Yes, I know, new STi's go for close to $40k. That is another discussion.
GaToR
DCAWD Groupie

Post by GaToR »

drwrx wrote:
ElZorro wrote:This is a surprisingly tempting car. But, is the extra 130HP worth the $7k over a Mazda3 5-door? Hahah, I can't believe I even typed that with a straight face. Of course it is!
The real question is whether the RS is worth the extra coin over an ST?
Sure it has more power and AWD. But that may not translate into that much better performance.
Right now you can find new Focus STs (with the Recaro performance pack) for under $25k.
If the cost of the RS is $10k above that (as I suspect it may be) I'm not certain it's worth it.

Full disclosure: I love the RS! I love that Ford makes it! I love that the US is finally going to get it!
It's just that if they are going to ask $40k for it, that's a deal breaker.

Yes, I know, new STi's go for close to $40k. That is another discussion.
I'll be curious which platform leaves more on the table (I suspect the RS) and by how much.

the Cobb AP Stage I in the Mustang was a quick +100 wtq, while the same on the ST I believe requires an intake and FMIC.

I agree for stock, they are surprisingly close tq ratings between the 2.0 and 2.3 tested thus far. I've seen 275-290 at the wheels stock depending on the dyno for the ST.

Stock, the average driver won't notice the flat-out hp difference on the street since the grunt is pretty substantial down low in the ST as it is.