2015 Mustang GT up close

Non-technical forum for other car makes. Good example: VW fan sites.

Moderator: Moderators

GaToR
DCAWD Groupie

2015 Mustang GT up close

Post by GaToR »

Thought it was the best looking car at the Illinois auto show. If you didn't tell me the prices on anything there, would have one of these over anything else. Then add the price back in, and I can't imagine not wanting (what in person basically looks like) an Audi S5 for mid-20s.

Even the GF liked it... and she's a Euro-style fan.

Even though pics don't do justice... here's one anyway.

drwrx
DCAWD Founding Member

Re: 2015 Mustang GT up close

Post by drwrx »

I have seen numerous photos of the new Mustang and I have to say "WINNER!"
If I was in the market for a coupe (435, A5, E series coupe, whatever) I think the Mustang with it's performance and price point would take my money.
Now, if Ford could just make an all wheel drive 6-cylinder eco-boost Fusion Wagon. . .
Mr Kleen
DCAWD Founding Member

Post by Mr Kleen »

drwrx wrote:Now, if Ford could just make an all wheel drive 6-cylinder eco-boost Fusion Wagon. . .
How about a Ford Vignale? No AWD or 6 cylinder, but it has a turbo 4 and a great interior.

drwrx
DCAWD Founding Member

Post by drwrx »

I like, but I suspect I'll just settle for a used WRX wagon (the one soon to be released) in a few years.
Mr Kleen
DCAWD Founding Member

Post by Mr Kleen »

Oh this isn't coming to the US.
GaToR
DCAWD Groupie

Post by GaToR »

The Fusion (and derivatives available to Gabe) is another home run. Between that and the Mazda 6, and I'd be worried if I sold FWD CLAs, Acuras, Lexi, etc.

They've found how to mass-produce high quality. The interior is not just 'good enough', its just plain good.

They really need to junk the Taurus though. Aside from bigger engines, it offers nothing over the Fusion.
Mr Kleen
DCAWD Founding Member

Post by Mr Kleen »

GaToR wrote:The Fusion (and derivatives available to Gabe) is another home run. Between that and the Mazda 6, and I'd be worried if I sold FWD CLAs, Acuras, Lexi, etc.
It's really not worth the trouble for me to get a European model car, I'm not going to be here long enough. The only strike against the Fusion is that I think it's a little cramped inside for the size car it is. I'm a big fan of the Mazda 6 but I can't get a US spec Mazda over here.

I really want to see a new Mustang in person as Ford didn't bring one to the Frankfurt Auto Show. I like most of the design but I wish they would have pushed it further.
GaToR
DCAWD Groupie

Post by GaToR »

Mr Kleen wrote:
GaToR wrote:The Fusion (and derivatives available to Gabe) is another home run. Between that and the Mazda 6, and I'd be worried if I sold FWD CLAs, Acuras, Lexi, etc.
It's really not worth the trouble for me to get a European model car, I'm not going to be here long enough. The only strike against the Fusion is that I think it's a little cramped inside for the size car it is. I'm a big fan of the Mazda 6 but I can't get a US spec Mazda over here.

I really want to see a new Mustang in person as Ford didn't bring one to the Frankfurt Auto Show. I like most of the design but I wish they would have pushed it further.
I can understand that.

I've looked into a few CAT / Perkins jobs in the UK, and if something were to happen, I'd be 'forced' into something UK spec, whatever the duration.

I made it as far as a phone interview for one, which had my hopes up. So naturally I looked into what I might drive, and in that scenario, I decided I would go out of my way to get something not available in the US.
Mr Kleen
DCAWD Founding Member

Post by Mr Kleen »

Really depends on what your status is when you're overseas. Being under SOFA means that I get to purchase US Spec cars for US MSRP or less so it just doesn't make sense to get a Euro spec car. If I did buy one, I wouldn't have to pay any taxes on it but when I try to sell it only an American under SOFA could buy it. Otherwise the new buyer would be responsible for ALL of the back taxes that I didn't pay. That, in turn, means I would have to discount the car the amount of said taxes effectively making me pay the taxes. And there's a lot of paperwork bringing the car into "our" system and then again to put it back in the German system.

Cars are CRAZY expensive in Europe and gas is twice the price. If you don't get a nice gig or the ability to buy gas on-base, you're going to spend a ton of money for a 1.6l diesel Polo. But it will have a manual transmission....
GaToR
DCAWD Groupie

Post by GaToR »

Mr Kleen wrote:Really depends on what your status is when you're overseas. Being under SOFA means that I get to purchase US Spec cars for US MSRP or less so it just doesn't make sense to get a Euro spec car. If I did buy one, I wouldn't have to pay any taxes on it but when I try to sell it only an American under SOFA could buy it. Otherwise the new buyer would be responsible for ALL of the back taxes that I didn't pay. That, in turn, means I would have to discount the car the amount of said taxes effectively making me pay the taxes. And there's a lot of paperwork bringing the car into "our" system and then again to put it back in the German system.

Cars are CRAZY expensive in Europe and gas is twice the price. If you don't get a nice gig or the ability to buy gas on-base, you're going to spend a ton of money for a 1.6l diesel Polo. But it will have a manual transmission....
Oh I understand your incentive. Not criticizing at all.

I've only looked at UK, so thats why I wasnt thinking US spec at all. And with that out the window, might as well do something that isn't just a RHD version. Now a RHD diesel version of a car sold in the US, yeah.
GaToR
DCAWD Groupie

Post by GaToR »

Interesting discussion.
http://www.mustang6g.com/forums/showthr ... 7d10886d93&

Takeaways:
Per the OP (speculation, but at least informative if not informed)
-IRS setup similar to BMW M3
-Ecoboost version ~3350 lbs. GT ~3550.
- A GT'R' version (Boss?) to have similar power/weight to Z51 Corvette.
Mr Kleen
DCAWD Founding Member

Post by Mr Kleen »

I'm looking forward to seeing one in person. The Military Sales office said they probably won't have one on the lot till late Fall.
GaToR
DCAWD Groupie

Post by GaToR »

Mr Kleen wrote:I'm looking forward to seeing one in person. The Military Sales office said they probably won't have one on the lot till late Fall.
I'm not sure Ford would parade one around the Euro-carshows. Possible, since it is loosely based off of a RWD Mondeo.
Mr Kleen
DCAWD Founding Member

Post by Mr Kleen »

I see Corvettes, Camaros and Mustangs now and then. They went IRS with the new Mustang in part to help it appeal to the European market.
GaToR
DCAWD Groupie

Post by GaToR »

So perhaps they would have one at a local cat show over the as well. :D
Mr Kleen
DCAWD Founding Member

Post by Mr Kleen »

They will. It was just introduced after all the major European shows.