Cadillac Sixteen Concept V-16 Engine

Non-technical forum for other car makes. Good example: VW fan sites.

Moderator: Moderators

Sabre
DCAWD Founding Member

Cadillac Sixteen Concept V-16 Engine

Post by Sabre »

Old post, but still interesting!

Car and Driver

A year ago, the luckiest of these virtual alloy molecules were grooving and grinding to the synthesized machinations of the first V-16 engine of the millennium. The mission to build an actual running engine for the Detroit-show-stealing Cadillac Sixteen concept was launched in mid-March 2002. At that point, Cadillac could have simply FedEx'd a couple of V-8 crate motors to a prototyping shop and subjected them to a welding-torch wedding. That process could have produced a V-16 that would start, idle, and move the concept car onto and off its auto-show runway.

Instead, GM decided to flex its advanced engine-engineering muscle and highlight technology that would soon be appearing on the Gen IV Corvette V-8 by designing and building a real V-16 from scratch—one that could operate under load at redline on a dynamometer. No weld-'em-up motor could ever withstand that.

By October 30, an actual—not virtual—13.6-liter, 32-valve XV16 was assembled and brought to life on a dynamometer. Fully dressed, the all-aluminum engine weighs just 695 pounds—64 pounds less than GM's 8.1-liter production V-8, and its dry-sump lubrication system with eight scavenging pumps makes it compact enough to limbo under the Sixteen's long, ultra-low hood. After a couple weeks of real-world bench tuning, that hapless dyno was groaning under the full onslaught of the 1000 horses and 1000 pound-feet of torque that the computer had prophesied.
8)
Sabre (Julian)
92.5% Stock 04 STI
Good choice putting $4,000 rims on your 1990 Honda Civic. That's like Betty White going out and getting her tits done.
ElZorro
DCAWD Founding Member

Re: Cadillac Sixteen Concept V-16 Engine

Post by ElZorro »

Anyone that really likes me will have this under my Christmas tree.
Jason "El Zorro" Fox
'17 Subaru Forester 2.0XT
DCAWD - old coots in fast scoots.
complacent
DCAWD Founding Member

Post by complacent »

that's a lot of thrust vs weight. boiiiiinggg.
colin

a tank, a yammie, a spaceship
i <3 teh 00ntz
Sabre
DCAWD Founding Member

Post by Sabre »

I can only imagine what having this thing under the hood of anything with a weight under 4k would be like...
Sabre (Julian)
92.5% Stock 04 STI
Good choice putting $4,000 rims on your 1990 Honda Civic. That's like Betty White going out and getting her tits done.