BMW 1-Series Dead for 2014

Non-technical forum for other car makes. Good example: VW fan sites.

Moderator: Moderators

WRXWagon2112
DCAWD Founding Member

BMW 1-Series Dead for 2014

Post by WRXWagon2112 »

Whoa! That didn't last long...

http://www.autoblog.com/2013/10/18/bmw- ... -for-2014/
BMW is temporarily abandoning the increasingly competitive and popular compact luxury segment, as it's announced that its 1 Series Coupe and Convertible will be discontinued for the 2014 model year, marking an ignominious end to a line that spawned a pair of excellent high-performance models during its life. Production on the Coupe officially ended in August, while convertible production was taken offline in June.
complacent
DCAWD Founding Member

Re: BMW 1-Series Dead for 2014

Post by complacent »

wow, that's surprising. gabe, you have a collector's edition now!
colin

a tank, a yammie, a spaceship
i <3 teh 00ntz
thermobox
DCAWD Founding Member

Post by thermobox »

I can't really look at this like the "end" of anything. I was talking about the 3's and 4's just this morning.

Ok - We will never see an M3 Coupe, right? Because it's renamed M4. Big whoop. So the M3 will just be a sedan version.

So - We won't see another 1M Coupe, right? Because it's renamed 2M. Big whoop. So the 1M will just be a sedan version.

It's just rebadging. Like all of the new Infiniti's are Q's. Still the same G35 even though it's a Qxx.
Mr Kleen
DCAWD Founding Member

Post by Mr Kleen »

The 1 series will be FWD. Like Matt said, it's all juggling name plates.

What I really don't understand is why BMW needs a 3 sedan, a 4 Gran Coupe and a 5 sedan. How many niches do you need to cover before you'll give the US a RWD wagon or hatch?
drwrx
DCAWD Founding Member

Post by drwrx »

Mr Kleen wrote: How many niches do you need to cover before you'll give the US a RWD wagon or hatch?
Apparently ALL OF THEM! BMW is the Soup Nazi of manufacturers.
Customer: "I'd like a like a high performance hatch or wagon please."
BMW: "No Hatch for you!"

Honestly though I have to say this is not surprising.
They needed a front drive platform (besides Mini), and they were running out of low numbers.
"Announcing the new BMW 028i, the 1/2 35i, and the -2.20i"
Sabre
DCAWD Founding Member

Post by Sabre »

^^^^ lol at numbers....

I'm still sad to see the 1 series, as it is now, go :(
Sabre (Julian)
92.5% Stock 04 STI
Good choice putting $4,000 rims on your 1990 Honda Civic. That's like Betty White going out and getting her tits done.
drwrx
DCAWD Founding Member

Post by drwrx »

Sabre wrote:I'm still sad to see the 1 series, as it is now, go
I'm with you there. I always liked the platform.
Wish we would have had the hatch over here.
Mr Kleen
DCAWD Founding Member

Post by Mr Kleen »

The 1er is now the 2er. It's hasn't gone anywhere, J, just got a name change. :wink:

What I find even more upsetting than the lack of wagons with manual transmissions and RWD is the EXTREMELY limited options for exterior and interior colors. Check out the config page for the new 4er. So, you want a nice 435i sport coupe and you're not afraid to spend $60,000? You get exactly 3 choices for interior colors: Black (looks just like the fake leather), Red (looks pink after a few years, doesn't look good with most exterior colors even when new) and beige (good luck keeping it clean if you wear jeans or are a human). It's the same across every platform, made worse by the stupid "lines" shite they're pulling now. I doubt that I'll own another [new] BMW...
Mr Kleen
DCAWD Founding Member

Post by Mr Kleen »

Sabre
DCAWD Founding Member

Post by Sabre »

Mr Kleen wrote:The 1er is now the 2er. It's hasn't gone anywhere, J, just got a name change. :wink:

What I find even more upsetting than the lack of wagons with manual transmissions and RWD is the EXTREMELY limited options for exterior and interior colors. Check out the config page for the new 4er. So, you want a nice 435i sport coupe and you're not afraid to spend $60,000? You get exactly 3 choices for interior colors: Black (looks just like the fake leather), Red (looks pink after a few years, doesn't look good with most exterior colors even when new) and beige (good luck keeping it clean if you wear jeans or are a human). It's the same across every platform, made worse by the stupid "lines" shite they're pulling now. I doubt that I'll own another [new] BMW...
Sorry, me slooooow.

Wow, I would have thought you would have a ton of options for the interior!

Damn, that does look good :)
Sabre (Julian)
92.5% Stock 04 STI
Good choice putting $4,000 rims on your 1990 Honda Civic. That's like Betty White going out and getting her tits done.