Mazda AWD Rumors

Non-technical forum for other car makes. Good example: VW fan sites.

Moderator: Moderators

thermatico
Yugo owner

Mazda AWD Rumors

Post by thermatico »

Rumor has it that a new Mazdaspeed6 would follow the same formula as the last one – that is with a turbocharged four-pot driving all four wheels. Auto Express reasons that the Mazda6′s gas-powered 2.0-liter SkyActiv I-4 is the most likely candidate for the Mazdaspeed6. That engine (currently available on the Mazda3 and not yet confirmed on the U.S.-spec 6) would be fitted with a turbocharger. Auto Express estimates that powerplant will make around 260 hp, but output could be higher to match or beat the previous-generation Mazdaspeed6′s 274 hp. Since the 2014 Mazda6 shares a few key parts with the new CX-5, its all-wheel drive system should transfer easily to a future Mazdaspeed version.
Motortrend

These are great looking cars! I'm starting to get excited!
Mr Kleen
DCAWD Founding Member

Re: Mazda AWD Rumors

Post by Mr Kleen »

All AWD systems are not created equal. I loved my AWD WRX. I hated the 335i X-Drive I borrowed for a weekend. I'm not sure the AWD system from the CX-5 will be enthusiast friendly, instead of just "checking the AWD box" for marketing purposes.
We shall see...
GaToR
DCAWD Groupie

Post by GaToR »

Mr Kleen wrote:All AWD systems are not created equal. I loved my AWD WRX. I hated the 335i X-Drive I borrowed for a weekend. I'm not sure the AWD system from the CX-5 will be enthusiast friendly, instead of just "checking the AWD box" for marketing purposes.
We shall see...
So what I'm hearing is... I should look at an A6 TDI instead of a 535d X-Drive. (I have diesel AWD lust and it seems to finally be happening this fall!)
drwrx
DCAWD Founding Member

Post by drwrx »

From what I have read the CX-5 is a great driving CUV.
Many have opined that it handles better than most cars.
Mr Kleen
DCAWD Founding Member

Post by Mr Kleen »

drwrx wrote:From what I have read the CX-5 is a great driving CUV.
Many have opined that it handles better than most cars.
That sounds promising.
GaToR wrote:So what I'm hearing is... I should look at an A6 TDI instead of a 535d X-Drive. (I have diesel AWD lust and it seems to finally be happening this fall!)
I'm saying you should drive an AWD BMW before you make any plans...
drwrx
DCAWD Founding Member

Post by drwrx »

Mr Kleen wrote:I'm saying you should drive an AWD BMW before you make any plans...
I have heard similar things from others as well.
I have a neighbor who has a current model BMW M3 as well as a 335i X until recently when the 335i X was replaced with a S4.
When I asked him why the change he said he HATED the BMW AWD system. "Totally worthless" is what he called it. Claiming it was not particularly good in snow and poor on asphalt. Says the S4 is worlds better.
Raven
Mr. Underpowered or something

Post by Raven »

I love pretty much everything about this car. :D
All my cars have drum brakes and are sub 200 hp, what am I doing with my life?
2013 Mazda 2
1994 Chevy S10 pickup
1985 Chevy Caprice (no fuel system)