2014 Corvette, aka the new C7

Non-technical forum for other car makes. Good example: VW fan sites.

Moderator: Moderators

Sabre
DCAWD Founding Member

2014 Corvette, aka the new C7

Post by Sabre »

Torque
GM is slowly starting to drop the details on the all-new 2014 Corvette, which is slated to debut at the 2013 Detroit Auto Show in January. Last week GM unveiled the Corvette's new logo and now the automaker has confirmed what will power the new Corvette.

The 2014 Chevy Corvette will be powered by a 450 horsepower 6.2L small block V8. The engine known internally as the LT1 will also be used in the new Chevy Silverado and GMC Sierra pickups. According to GM, the new Corvette will reach 0-60 mph in four seconds.
I guess I'm just use to Japanese little fours and the Germans fours, sixes, and eights... doesn't 450HP out of 6.2L seem low? Torque could of course be higher, but it just seems so low if they have, say, a 7k redline. Maybe I just haven't been paying enough attention to LSx motors and their displacement/power.

It will be interesting to see how well it performs. I take this as a good sign (source):
With the new Corvette, we set out to build a world-challenging sports car with design, refinement, efficiency and driver engagement that is second to none. The result is a truly all-new Corvette. There are only two carryover parts from the C6 used in the C7 - the cabin air filter and the rear latch for the removable roof panel," said Tadge Juechter, Corvette chief engineer.
Sabre (Julian)
92.5% Stock 04 STI
Good choice putting $4,000 rims on your 1990 Honda Civic. That's like Betty White going out and getting her tits done.
Sabre
DCAWD Founding Member

Re: 2014 Corvette, aka the new C7

Post by Sabre »

GM press release

Excerpts:
The new Corvette LT1 engine, the first of the Gen 5 family of Small Block engines, combines several advanced technologies, including direct injection, Active Fuel Management and continuously variable valve timing to support an advanced combustion system.

Output, performance, and fuel economy numbers will not be finalized until early next year, but the new LT1 engine is expected to deliver:

The most powerful standard Corvette ever, with preliminary output of 450 horsepower (335 kW) and 450 lb.-ft. of torque (610 Nm)
The quickest standard Corvette ever, with estimated 0-60 performance of less than four seconds
The most fuel-efficient Corvette ever, exceeding the 2013 EPA-estimated 26 miles per gallon on the highway.
“The Holy Grail for developing a performance car is delivering greater performance and more power with greater fuel economy and that’s what we’ve achieved,” said Tadge Juechter, Corvette chief engineer. “By leveraging technology, we are able to get more out of every drop of gasoline and because of that we expect the new Corvette will be the most fuel-efficient 450 horsepower car on the market.”

Direct injection is all-new to the engine architecture and is a primary contributor to its greater combustion efficiency by ensuring a more complete burn of the fuel in the air-fuel mixture. This is achieved by precisely controlling the mixture motion and fuel injection spray pattern. Direct injection also keeps the combustion chamber cooler, which allows for a higher compression ratio. Emissions are also reduced, particularly cold-start hydrocarbon emissions, which are cut by about 25 percent.

Active Fuel Management (AFM) – a first-ever application on Corvette – helps save fuel by imperceptibly shutting down half of the engine’s cylinders in light-load driving.

Continuously variable valve timing, which GM pioneered for overhead-valve engines, is refined to support the LT1 AFM and direct injection systems to further optimize performance, efficiency and emissions.

The LT1 head features smaller combustion chambers designed to complement the volume of the unique topography of the pistons’ heads. The smaller chamber size and sculpted pistons produce an 11.5:1 compression ratio, while the head features large, straight and rectangular intake ports with a slight twist to enhance mixture motion. This is complemented by a reversal of the intake and exhaust valve positions, as compared to the previous engine design. Also, the spark plug angle and depth have been revised to protrude farther into the chamber, placing the electrode closer to the center of the combustion to support optimal combustion.

The pistons feature unique sculpted topography that was optimized via extensive analysis to precisely direct the fuel spray for a more complete combustion. The contours of the piston heads are machined to ensure dimensional accuracy – essential for precise control of mixture motion and the compression ratio.

As an example, the new LT1 engine is 40 pounds lighter than a competitor’s twin-turbo 4.4L, DOHC V-8 with similar output. That weight savings not only improves the Corvette’s power-to-weight ratio, but also contributes to a near-perfect 50/50 weight balance for enhanced steering response and handling.

The new LT1 is also four inches shorter in overall height than the competitive DOHC V-8. That also improves handling by lowering the center of gravity while enabling a low hood line – contributing to the Corvette’s iconic profile, as well as ensuring exceptional driver visibility.

All-aluminum block and oil pan: The Gen 5 block was developed with math-based tools and data acquired in GM’s racing programs, providing a light, rigid foundation for an impressively smooth engine. Its deep-skirt design helps maximize strength and minimize vibration. As with the Gen 3 and Gen 4 Small Blocks, the bulkheads accommodate six-bolt, cross-bolted main-bearing caps that limit crank flex and stiffen the engine’s structure. A structural aluminum oil pan further stiffens the powertrain.

The block features nodular iron main bearing caps, which represent a significant upgrade over more conventional powdered metal bearing caps. They are stronger and can better absorb vibrations and other harmonics to help produce smoother, quieter performance.

Compared to the Gen 4 engine, the Gen 5’s cylinder block casting is all-new, but based on the same basic architecture. It was refined and modified to accommodate the mounting of the engine-driven direct injection high-pressure fuel pump. It also incorporates new engine mount attachments, new knock sensor locations, improved sealing and oil-spray piston cooling.

Advanced oiling system, with available dry-sump system: The LT1 oiling system – including oil-spray piston cooling – was also optimized for improved performance. It is driven by a new, variable-displacement oil pump that enables more efficient oil delivery, per the engine’s operating conditions. Its dual-pressure control enables operation at a very efficient oil pressure at lower rpm coordinated with AFM and delivers higher pressure at higher engine speeds to provide a more robust lube system for aggressive engine operation.

Standard oil-spray piston cooling sprays the underside of each piston and the surrounding cylinder wall with an extra layer of cooling oil, via small jets located at the bottom of the cylinders. For optimal efficiency, the oil jets are used only when they are needed the most: at start-up, giving the cylinders extra lubrication that reduces noise, and at higher engine speeds, when the engine load demands, for extra cooling and greater durability.

An available dry-sump oiling system promotes exceptional lubrication system performance during aggressive driving maneuvers and high cornering loads. It includes two stages: a pressure stage and a scavenge stage. The pressure stage includes the new, dual-pressure-control and variable-displacement vane pump.

Dexos semi-synthetic motor oil, with a 5W30 specification, helps reduce friction to further enhance the LT1’s efficiency.

New, tri-lobe camshaft: Compared to the Gen 4 Small Block, the camshaft remains in the same position relative to the crankshaft and is used with a new rear cam bearing, but it features an all-new “tri-lobe” designed lobe which exclusively drives the engine-mounted direct injection high-pressure fuel pump, which powers the direct-injection combustion system. The cam’s specifications include 14mm/13.3mm (0.551/0.524-inch) intake/exhaust lift, 200/207-crank angle degrees intake/exhaust duration at 0.050-inch tappet lift and a 116.5-degree cam angle lobe separation.

New, cam-driven fuel pump: The direct injection system features a very-high-pressure fuel pump, which delivers up to 15Mpa (150 bar). The high-pressure, engine-driven fuel pump is fed by a conventional fuel-tank-mounted pump. The direct injection pump is mounted in the “valley” between cylinder heads – beneath the intake manifold – and is driven by the camshaft at the rear of the engine. This location ensures any noise generated by the pump is muffled by the intake manifold and other insulation in the valley.

PCV-integrated rocker covers: One of the most distinctive features of the new engine is its domed rocker covers, which house the, patent-pending, integrated positive crankcase ventilation (PCV) system that enhances oil economy and oil life, while reducing oil consumption and contributing to low emissions. The rocker covers also hold the direct-mount ignition coils for the coil-near-plug ignition system. Between the individual coil packs, the domed sections of the covers contain baffles that separate oil and air from the crankcase gases – about three times the oil/air separation capability of previous engines.

Intake manifold and throttle body assembly: The LT1’s intake manifold features a “runners in a box” design, wherein individual runners inside the manifold feed a plenum box that allows for excellent, high-efficiency airflow packaged beneath the car’s low hood line.

Acoustic foam is sandwiched between the outside top of the intake manifold and an additional acoustic shell to reduce radiated engine noise, as well as fuel pump noise.

The manifold is paired with an electronically controlled throttle, featuring an 87mm bore diameter and a “contactless” throttle position sensor design that is more durable and enables greater control.

Four-into-one exhaust manifolds: The LT-1 uses a cast version of the “four-into-one” short-header exhaust manifold design used on the Gen 4 LS7 engine. The cast header passages enable consistent exhaust flow into the “wide mouth” collector at the converter.

Cooling system, humidity sensor and more: Additional features and technologies of the Gen 5 Small Block include:

A revised cooling system with an offset water pump and thermostat for more efficient performance
Air induction humidity sensor ensures optimal combustion efficiency, regardless of the surrounding air’s humidity
58X ignition system with individual ignition coil modules and iridium-tip spark plugs
All-new “E92” engine controller.
General Motors’ investment in the Gen 5 Small Block will create or retain more than 1,600 jobs in five North American plants, including Tonawanda, New York, which recently received upgrades to support its production.
Impressive technologies for sure.
Sabre (Julian)
92.5% Stock 04 STI
Good choice putting $4,000 rims on your 1990 Honda Civic. That's like Betty White going out and getting her tits done.
Mr Kleen
DCAWD Founding Member

Post by Mr Kleen »

There will be tons of room under the torque curve, and there will be hundreds of horses left "on the table" for tuning.

Other than the tail lights I'm excited for the new Corvette.
Raven
Mr. Underpowered or something

Post by Raven »

Sabre wrote:I guess I'm just use to Japanese little fours and the Germans fours, sixes, and eights... doesn't 450HP out of 6.2L seem low? Torque could of course be higher, but it just seems so low if they have, say, a 7k redline. Maybe I just haven't been paying enough attention to LSx motors and their displacement/power.
Two valve heads just don't flow well enough to make lots of peak power at high revs. Also, the stock GM cams are generally really conservative. GM will usually sell a hot cam and a reflash that will bump it up a fair amount, probably well over 500 in this case.

But cam and spin them to the moon and these engines generally aren't going to make tons of power up top per displacement (compared to something German that is). They will however make excellent average HP in the powerband you'll be shifting gears in. It won't feel quite as fast as a Japanese or German engine that gains power (and thus acceleration rate) as you rev it out, but it will haul ass.
All my cars have drum brakes and are sub 200 hp, what am I doing with my life?
2013 Mazda 2
1994 Chevy S10 pickup
1985 Chevy Caprice (no fuel system)
Sabre
DCAWD Founding Member

Post by Sabre »

Makes sense. It's the integral that matters, so I can see these things ripping through long gears.
Sabre (Julian)
92.5% Stock 04 STI
Sabre
DCAWD Founding Member

Post by Sabre »

Torque

You can see some very Italian lines in it...
Sabre (Julian)
92.5% Stock 04 STI
PGT
DCAWD Groupie

Post by PGT »

Let's hope they put some good seats in it this time.
2013 BMW 328i M Sport with 8sp in Estoril Blue II
2012 Chrysler 300C SRT8 - Always bet on black
2012 Jeep Wrangler Unlimited Rubicon Call of Duty: Modern Warfare 3 Edition, otherwise known as the MW3 (and badass)
Mr Kleen
DCAWD Founding Member

Post by Mr Kleen »

The leaked tech manual's line drawings of the interior don't give me much hope, but the seats and the gauge display both look good.
Raven
Mr. Underpowered or something

Post by Raven »

Don't care what the interior looks like, I still love the Corvette. :D
All my cars have drum brakes and are sub 200 hp, what am I doing with my life?
2013 Mazda 2
1994 Chevy S10 pickup
1985 Chevy Caprice (no fuel system)
Sabre
DCAWD Founding Member

Post by Sabre »

2014 Chevy Corvette Stingray Debuts in Detroit
Tonight it finally happened! GM took the wraps off the all-new 2014 Chevy Corvette (C7) in Detroit. Not only is the 2014 Corvette all-new, but it now wears the iconic Stingray designation.

The 2014 Corvette Stingray is the most powerful standard model ever, with a 6.2L V8 that generates 450 horsepower and 450 lb.-ft. of torque. It reaches 0-60 in less than four seconds and achieves more than 1g in cornering grip. It is expected to be the most fuel-efficient Corvette, exceeding the EPA-estimated 26 mpg of the current model.

"Like the '63 Sting Ray, the best Corvettes embodied performance leadership, delivering cutting-edge technologies, breathtaking design and awe-inspiring driving experiences," said General Motors North America President Mark Reuss. "The all-new Corvette goes farther than ever, thanks to today's advancements in design, technology and engineering."

"Stingray is one of the hallowed names in automotive history," said Ed Welburn, GM vice president of global design. "We knew we couldn't use the Stingray name unless the new car truly lived up to the legacy. The result is a new Corvette Stingray that breaks from tradition, while remaining instantly recognizable as a Corvette the world over."

The 2014 Corvette Stingray shares only two parts with the previous generation Corvette. It features an interior that includes carbon fiber, aluminum and hand-wrapped leather materials, two new seat choices and dual eight-inch configurable driver/infotainment screens. A five-position Drive Mode Selector tailors 12 vehicle attributes to the fit the driver's environment and a new seven-speed manual transmission with Active Rev Matching that anticipates gear selections and matches engine speed for perfect shifts every time.

The 2014 Corvette Stingray is lighter thanks to a carbon fiber hood and removable roof panel; composite fenders, doors and rear quarter panels; carbon-nano composite underbody panels and a new aluminum frame.

"We believe the Corvette represents the future of modern performance cars because it delivers more power, more driving excitement and better fuel efficiency," said Tadge Juechter, Corvette chief engineer. "The result is better performance by every measure. The 2014 Corvette delivers the fastest acceleration, the most cornering grip, the most track capability, the best braking performance and what we expect to be the best fuel economy ever for a standard Corvette."

The 2014 Chevy Corvette Stingray coupe goes on sale in the third quarter of 2013.

The dash looks like knight rider:

Overall, I like the looks more. It's more Italian looking to me (ya, makes you wonder, is that a good thing on an Amurican car). Sounds like it has some damn good get up and go too.
Sabre (Julian)
92.5% Stock 04 STI
Mr Kleen
DCAWD Founding Member

Post by Mr Kleen »

The tail lights look better in video than static shots, but still not crazy about them or the 4 center mounted exhaust tips. Overall I like it. I want a black one with gold wheels, black exhaust tips and all badges except on the hood removed.
PGT
DCAWD Groupie

Post by PGT »

and a gold Screamin CHicken on the hood....
2012 Jeep Wrangler Unlimited Rubicon Call of Duty: Modern Warfare 3 Edition, otherwise known as the MW3 (and badass)
Mr Kleen
DCAWD Founding Member

Post by Mr Kleen »

Wrong car.
PGT
DCAWD Groupie

Post by PGT »

No, I meant what I said. I think any black car with gold wheels deserves the Screamin Chicken on it. My buddy with the black GT3 RS and gold BBS race wheels had one made up for his, just to piss off the Porsche elitists. :lol:
complacent
DCAWD Founding Member

Post by complacent »

PGT wrote:No, I meant what I said. I think any black car with gold wheels deserves the Screamin Chicken on it. My buddy with the black GT3 RS and gold BBS race wheels had one made up for his, just to piss off the Porsche elitists. :lol:

haha, love it!
colin

a tank, a yammie, a spaceship
i <3 teh 00ntz
Mr Kleen
DCAWD Founding Member

Post by Mr Kleen »

Untitled.jpg
I'm officially in love.
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
complacent
DCAWD Founding Member

Post by complacent »

that's going to be your next car, isn't it?

(i <3 that color combo as well. it really, really works.)
colin

a tank, a yammie, a spaceship
i <3 teh 00ntz
Sabre
DCAWD Founding Member

Post by Sabre »

I've LOVED British racing green on cars since my dads 69 E-type. Pretty much looked like this:
Sabre (Julian)
92.5% Stock 04 STI
drwrx
DCAWD Founding Member

Post by drwrx »

My first car: 1967 Triumph Spitfire in . . . wait for it . . . British Freakin Racing Green!
Yes, it was a terrible car and yes, I still loved it.
Sabre
DCAWD Founding Member

Post by Sabre »

Sabre (Julian)
92.5% Stock 04 STI
Mr Kleen
DCAWD Founding Member

Post by Mr Kleen »

complacent wrote:that's going to be your next car, isn't it?

(i <3 that color combo as well. it really, really works.)
Doubt it, to rich for me and I've sank too much money into the 135 to not keep it for several years. And if those weren't reason enough, I can't sink that much cash into a car that only seats 2. I had a 2 seater as my only car once and it was a HUGE PITA.

#firstworldproblems
Mr Kleen
DCAWD Founding Member

Post by Mr Kleen »

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=z49duwQ4 ... afe=active[/video]

/sigh

If only I'd been selected as the Super Bowl MVP...
Sabre
DCAWD Founding Member

Post by Sabre »

Hennessey Promises 2014 Chevy Corvette Stingray With 1000-HP

And you know, they always deliver on their promises...
Hennessey Performance Engineering (HPE) has announced its upgrades for the 2014 Corvette Stingray. HPE plans to offer to performance upgrades for the Corvette Stingray Coupe and Convertible, with the most powerful upgrade bumping the Corvette Stingray's output to 1,000 horsepower.

The first upgrade to the 6.2L V8 adds a supercharger that bumps the Corvette Stingray's power up to 700 horsepower. The other kit adds twin-turbos which will the Corvette Stingray between 800-1,000 horsepower. HPE will also offer other upgrades like a cold air induction system, cat-back exhaust systems, stainless steel long-tube headers, wheel and tire upgrades, Brembo brake systems and upgraded suspension systems.
Sabre (Julian)
92.5% Stock 04 STI
Mr Kleen
DCAWD Founding Member

Post by Mr Kleen »

Your car will be finished as soon as the next suc...um CUSTOMER sends in a 2014 Corvette. Promise!
ElZorro
DCAWD Founding Member

Post by ElZorro »

I'm starting to see these on the road, and I have to admit, i get a funny-nice feeling in my bathing suit place when I do.
Jason "El Zorro" Fox
'17 Subaru Forester 2.0XT
DCAWD - old coots in fast scoots.