Jaguar C-X75 Concept

Non-technical forum for other car makes. Good example: VW fan sites.

Moderator: Moderators

sirwilliam
Resident Poop Expert

Jaguar C-X75 Concept

Post by sirwilliam »

Jaguar C-X75 Concept

As part of its ongoing celebration of its 75th anniversary, Jaguar unveiled the C-X75 supercar concept at the Paris Auto Show. This Jag is a unique 2-seater that blends electric power with gas turbine technology.

In short, it’s a range-extended electric like the Chevy Volt—it’s able to travel 68 miles on a single 6-hour plug-in charge of its lithium-ion batteries, but when that range is exhausted, two 94-bhp micro turbine engines supplied by Blandon Jets take over, recharging the batteries on the fly and powering the 195-hp electric motors positioned at all four corners.

The all-wheel-drive aluminum-bodied Jaguar C-X75, thanks to its combined output of 778 hp and 1180 lb.-ft. of torque, is capable of accelerating to 100 km/h (62 mph) in just 3.4 seconds and has a top speed of 205 mph. Jaguar says the gas turbine engines extend the range of this sporty EV to an amazing 560 miles.

The sleek shape recalls previous Jaguar supercars like the XJ13 and XJ220. The twin turbines are positioned amidships in the Jetstream Silver supercar. The intakes, which provide up to 25,000 liters of air per minute to the 80,000- rpm turbines, are an integral part of the design. The sleek exterior shape has a drag coefficient of 0.34.

The cabin is equally advanced, using lightweight seats that are fixed to the car’s tub, while the steering wheel and pedals adjust to the driver. Jaguar also makes extensive use of aviation-inspired TFT screens for displays and ambient lighting to enhance the interior design.

When folks get into the Jaguar C-X75, a phosphor blue light dims as the occupants settle themselves into the cockpit. This gentle illumination from inside the doors and bulkhead cavities creates a translucency inspired by lightweight aircraft structures and exposes the Bowers & Wilkins nano-speaker panels behind the micromesh. Additional LEDs behind the dashboard and underneath the turbines make both installations appear to ‘float’ inside the structure of the car.

The car is started using a switch mounted in the aircraft-inspired overhead control panel. Twin needles indicating turbine functionality sweep dramatically around the edge of the main dials and back to rest.

When the C-X75 is driven in Track mode the cabin changes character once again—taking inspiration from fighter aircraft in combat mode. The Jaguar Co-Pilot touchscreen system switches to stealth and all ambient cabin lighting fades to minimize driver distraction.

The lighting, however, is not the only feature which gives the sense of “piloting” the C-X75. The gear-selector is modeled on a fighter jet’s throttle control and includes a manual override for the turbines, allowing them to run continuously for maximum charge.

“Performance through innovation has always been a Jaguar hallmark. From the beginning, cars such as the C-Type and D-Type pioneered aluminum construction, aerodynamic design, racing monocoques and disc brakes. The C-X75 demonstrates that the company is still leading the field in automotive design and technology,” said Dr Ralf Speth, Chief Executive Officer, Jaguar Land Rover, during the Paris reveal.

The C-X75 came as a complete surprise. It had been rumored that Jaguar might show a more conventional 2-seat sports car currently under development.
2004 SG Model A PearlBlackObsidian (RIP)
2008 SG Model D BlueRallyWorld

"When I get sad, I stop being sad and be awesome instead. True story." -Barney Stinson
"Nothing shuts my pie-hole but pie." -Shawn Spencer
Sabre
DCAWD Founding Member

Re: Jaguar C-X75 Concept

Post by Sabre »

I want it NOW... Very cool use of technology and different than what a lot of people are trying.
Sabre (Julian)
92.5% Stock 04 STI
Good choice putting $4,000 rims on your 1990 Honda Civic. That's like Betty White going out and getting her tits done.
complacent
DCAWD Founding Member

Post by complacent »

i just want to give it a "rev" :drool:
colin

a tank, a yammie, a spaceship
i <3 teh 00ntz
Sabre
DCAWD Founding Member

Post by Sabre »

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=fqqJs0mqH9M[/video]

I have to say, this thing is insane.
Sabre (Julian)
92.5% Stock 04 STI
Good choice putting $4,000 rims on your 1990 Honda Civic. That's like Betty White going out and getting her tits done.