Finally put an EVO through it's paces.

Non-technical forum specific to Mitsubishi. Good example: Discussion of dealers.

Moderator: Moderators

Cereb Daithi
DCAWD Groupie

Finally put an EVO through it's paces.

Post by Cereb Daithi »

Well last night I finally got to drive an EVO VIII MR last night aggressively. I've only ever driven an EVO once before just around a neighborhood. Only light boosting. Not really fun. Well after all these years I got to go behind the wheel of one and go full boost race speeds on a 20 mile stretch of very twisty very challenging roads.

I was pretty impressed. The first thing I noticed was the seats. I knew they were good and I've sat in them before, but once I got moving and was throwing the car around turns it became apparent how much better they were at holding you in. Once again I'm frustrated that USDM subies do not come with the recaros.

As far as the drivetrain is concerned it made pretty decent power early on. I didn't have any real noticeable lag and acceleration was adequate. It only had an intake, exhaust and a flash so it wasn't too far beyond stock. The shifts were pretty smooth although the 6 speed felt kind of notchy... 1-4 felt ok but 5 and 6 just felt stiff. The AWD was phenominal as always. It held through bends where I expected to start to feel some loss in traction. No real understeer to speak of.

The handling was very responsive. I don't know much about the steering rack in that car but I wouldn't mind having something like that again..

Overall my only complaint for the whole experience was in the braking. The brembos functioned brilliantly as always but when I was on my run it was a bit of a trick to get a feel for threshold braking. I observed the tail can get a little loose (looser than I have felt in other vehicles) when you go past that threshold. The owner remarked on this as well saying that it was something he had noticed too after I recovered from putting the car into a diagonal slide after braking to avoid a deer. :oops: Could this have something to do with the rear sway setup?

So although this isn't really a useful review I just wanted to say I really enjoyed the car. Nothing has changed really. I have always disliked but respected EVOs. (if that makes sense) I've always told people my reasons for disliking the EVO is baseless and petty. I think they are great car. There is no reason I would ever recommend an STI over an EVO or vice-versa. This test-drive just sort of reenforced my opinion on them. It's a hell of a fun car to drive and it handles beautifully.
GaToR
DCAWD Groupie

Re: Finally put an EVO through it's paces.

Post by GaToR »

:plusone:

I had a very similar experience with a Stage~1 EVO IX. Its an AWD car that feels as fast as it is.
avriette
DCAWD Groupie

Post by avriette »

Cereb Daithi wrote:Once again I'm frustrated that USDM subies do not come with the recaros.
er, mine came with recaros...
rocket scientist
Sabre
DCAWD Founding Member

Post by Sabre »

Nice review man! I drove one WAY back when and was impressed with it. I wouldn't mind taking out a MR sometime!
Sabre (Julian)
92.5% Stock 04 STI
Good choice putting $4,000 rims on your 1990 Honda Civic. That's like Betty White going out and getting her tits done.
gsx-lex
DCAWD Groupie

Post by gsx-lex »

I've always preferred the 5 spd gearbox to the 6 spd MR. I think it feels smoother. Good review.
Have turbo, will spool.
I <3 Lesbians
Mr Kleen
DCAWD Founding Member

Post by Mr Kleen »

I want to test drive one with the new dual-clutch gearbox. Grassroots Motorsports said it was fantastic at the track and on the street.