evo x - "OH SNAP!!"

Non-technical forum specific to Mitsubishi. Good example: Discussion of dealers.

Moderator: Moderators

chicken n waffles

evo x - "OH SNAP!!"

Post by chicken n waffles »

My frustration today is indescribable. I have been so in love with the way this car drives over my 05 VIII, that I have been ignoring some of the minor issues...mostly the problem with the tune. Before I say anything, this is THE best driving and handling car I have ever driven...EVER. I have been defending Mitsu here for months against the notchy transmission, poor paint quality, and the 8:1 AFR that they have designed into the tune that makes it idle and drive like ****. Today...no more...I am royally pissed off.

I turned 2000 miles yesterday, and I just happened to be in front of a crowd of STIs and older EVO owners, so I thought I would drive the car with a little enthusiasm....you know....so they could hear the studder and hesitation up above 5800rpm j/k

I pushed the accelerator to the floor as I normally would and the piece of **** broke off completely. I reached down and had the entire pedal all the way to the firewall in my hand. WOW! This is a safety hazzard!!! What if this happened to my 8 months pregnant wife on the highway in rush hour traffic!

So I call my dealer to express my frustrations with me sitting on the side of the road stranded in my new $41,000 car. The dealer has heard NOTHING about this "April reflash" that Mitsu has coming out, nor have they been informed of any other issues. I think the April reflash thing is BS. It was almost 8pm and they were closing, so they said I could have roadside assistance drop the car there and leave the keys in the night drop. I sat on the side of the road in the dark for an hour on the phone with roadside assistance while they tried to find a tow company willing to drop my car at the dealer...15 minutes away. I finally got so sick of waiting that I took my shoe off and wedged my foot up there and was able to press the accelerator with my big toe. I called my wife and had her drive the hour to come pick me up.

So why didn't I spend my $40,000 on a new 430hp Corvette? Good question.
http://forums.evolutionm.net/showthread.php?t=337807

cn: push accelerator pedal too hard, and it breaks off. awesome stuff.
-Ben
Mr Kleen
DCAWD Founding Member

Re: evo x - "OH SNAP!!"

Post by Mr Kleen »

:dropgob:
Sabre
DCAWD Founding Member

Post by Sabre »

That looks like a plastic gas pedal from the way it broke off... please tell me I'm wrong, because that is VERY sad it it's true. 8:1 AFR's from the factory? Wow, that's screaming for someone to tune it....
Sabre (Julian)
92.5% Stock 04 STI
Good choice putting $4,000 rims on your 1990 Honda Civic. That's like Betty White going out and getting her tits done.
ElZorro
DCAWD Founding Member

Post by ElZorro »

This made autoblog:

http://www.autoblog.com/2008/05/06/you- ... hard-when/
autoblog wrote:You know you've pushed your car too hard when...

Posted May 6th 2008 10:58AM by John Neff
Filed under: Sedans/Saloons, Etc., Safety, Mitsubishi

...your accelerator pedal breaks clean off. Actually, the owner of this 2008 Mitsubishi EVO X GSR swears he wasn't caning the car excessively hard when his go pedal snapped in two. Posted on the evolutionm.net forums by 'DRAG', these pictures show the severed pedal in question. DRAG claims he was at a stoplight at the time (in front of some STI owners, no less) when he started to leave the light with a little "enthusiasm". As he pushed the GSR's accelerator to the floorboards, the thing's plastic arm broke off clean. Clearly frustrated with his $40,000+ automobile, DRAG called the dealer and waited for some roadside assistance that never came. To make a long story short, Mitsubishi refused to replace the pedal under warranty, but the dealership decided to pick up the tab anyway. Hopefully Mitsubishi doesn't view this case as an isolated incident caused by someone pushing their EVO too hard, because A) you should be able to push an EVO really hard and B) EVOs have been pushed to their limits while being tested by members of the automotive press and we've never heard of anything like this happening. Take a peek at some more pics of the completely cracked pedal in the gallery below. Thanks for the tip, thedriver!

UPDATE: It was actually the accelerator pedal, not the clutch pedal as originally stated. Post above has been corrected.
Jason "El Zorro" Fox
'17 Subaru Forester 2.0XT
DCAWD - old coots in fast scoots.
complacent
DCAWD Founding Member

Post by complacent »

colin

a tank, a yammie, a spaceship
i <3 teh 00ntz
GVR-4Chad
I walk to work

Post by GVR-4Chad »

Plastic pedal assembly to save on weight :D
Chad
91 Galant VR-4 (989/2000) (Project Track Car)
92 Galant VR-4 (141/1000) (Project Street Car)
07 Legacy GT Spec.B (DD)
chicken n waffles

Post by chicken n waffles »

GVR-4Chad wrote:Plastic pedal assembly to save on weight :D
saves weight by adding massive fail.
-Ben
gsx-lex
DCAWD Groupie

Post by gsx-lex »

Evo X = Massive fail.

My old Galant (96) had a plastic gas peddle that "Oh snapped". Pre-X FTW.
Have turbo, will spool.
I <3 Lesbians
boomee
Tricycle

Post by boomee »

get your money back and get the vette i just drove my cousins you will be glad ya did lol