evo x vs evo ix

Non-technical forum specific to Mitsubishi. Good example: Discussion of dealers.

Moderator: Moderators

WANGAN_X
DCAWD Groupie

evo x vs evo ix

Post by WANGAN_X »

Mr Kleen
DCAWD Founding Member

Post by Mr Kleen »

I can't wait for a full-on comparison test with a production X with the 6-speed dual-clutch transmission. not that I can afford one, but it will be interesting to see the results. :wink:
Sabre
DCAWD Founding Member

Post by Sabre »

Good comparison there. I've been saying it for awhile now: As soon as some kids get ahold of the new Evo, they are going to try to use their usual bag of tricks with the engine... and it will promptly blow up. That new aluminum block is not going to take the abuse that the old iron one could take.
Sabre (Julian)
92.5% Stock 04 STI
Good choice putting $4,000 rims on your 1990 Honda Civic. That's like Betty White going out and getting her tits done.
Phibs
DCAWD Groupie

Post by Phibs »

What are the subie 2.5s made with, ironz?
Bryan
2012 WRX 5-Door Limited
Sabre
DCAWD Founding Member

Post by Sabre »

Depends on what 2.5 you're talking about ;) There are different flavor's of the 2.5l engine from Subaru.

The STI engine is an aluminum block with iron sleeves and aluminum heads.

FYI, the various engines that Subaru has produced:
EZ30R(Newer Outbacks and such)
EG33
EZ30(Older Outbacks and such)
EJ207(USDM, WRX)
EJ257(USDM STI)
EJ22T(JDM legacy) - SWEET motor (closed deck, oil squirters)
EJ205
EJ255
EJ22
EJ18
Sabre (Julian)
92.5% Stock 04 STI
Good choice putting $4,000 rims on your 1990 Honda Civic. That's like Betty White going out and getting her tits done.
ElZorro
DCAWD Founding Member

Post by ElZorro »

Great writeup. One of the best lines:
Perhaps the best way to put the X into context is to say that it feels akin to a lighter, cruder Audi S4, whereas the IX will always seem like the closest thing to a four-door Lotus Elise. That said, the fundamental Evo traits-turbo engine, sublime chassis, and all-wheel-drive grip-remain in the X and are more capable than ever.
Read the details, they are not exactly comparing base model to base model, but the comparison is good nonetheless.
Jason "El Zorro" Fox
'17 Subaru Forester 2.0XT
DCAWD - old coots in fast scoots.
Hannibalzero
I'm a n000b

Post by Hannibalzero »

Interesting read.

I wonder how well the aluminum 4B11 is going to take abuse. To the best of my knowledge, the world engine platform really hasn't done anything that impressive. I believe the caliber made it up into the 450hp range, something easily doable on a stock 4g63 block. Plus, keep in mind the caliber has an extra .4L of displacement.
Hannibalzero
I'm a n000b

Post by Hannibalzero »

Also, I believe that I read somewhere that they are going to use a smaller turbo in the X. Does anybody have any details on how it compares to the 16G? I wonder if the smaller turbo is going to make big turbo swaps all the more likely?