NEW PICS Prototype X

Non-technical forum specific to Mitsubishi. Good example: Discussion of dealers.

Moderator: Moderators

drwrx
DCAWD Founding Member

NEW PICS Prototype X

Post by drwrx »

I thought everyone might be interested in reading this web page:
http://forums.evolutionm.net/showthread ... erid=14961

Lots of great photos of the new EVO X.
Not suitable for dial-up.
complacent
DCAWD Founding Member

Post by complacent »

That two pedal thing is a S-I-N

Image Image Image Image
colin

a tank, a yammie, a spaceship
i <3 teh 00ntz
drwrx
DCAWD Founding Member

Post by drwrx »

Yeah, I have to agree. I'm trying to leave all my prejudiced thoughts about clutchless trannys aside (as well as the accompanying aesthetics) until I either read otherwise or drive it myself.
Sabre
DCAWD Founding Member

Post by Sabre »

Wow, that was a LOT of photo's. I'm definitely not a fan of the nose nor the fact that you can't get a manual :( I always thought it was a sin that they sell the corvette in auto, but that accounts for most of their sales sadly :(
Sabre (Julian)
92.5% Stock 04 STI
Good choice putting $4,000 rims on your 1990 Honda Civic. That's like Betty White going out and getting her tits done.
drwrx
DCAWD Founding Member

Post by drwrx »

I used to be very anti-auto. And to a large degree I still am. However, many of my gripes of automatic transmissions have been disappearing over the years. Autos used to be slower than manuals, but that is deffinately not the case any longer. Look at the numbers for the 911 turbo, the auto is faster 0-60, 1/4 mile and matches it round the track. AMG's massive power outputs can only be handeled by an auto and they are very impressive and very responsive. The shift times on the ferrari f1 paddle shifters are faster than their gate shifter. Ferrari has pretty much done away with true manual shifting cars altogether.
Sabre
DCAWD Founding Member

Post by Sabre »

Don't for get the VW/Audi DSG's either. They have some of the fastest shift times. Doesn't mean I like them though ;)

I use to play with slipping the clutch to build boost quickly while sitting still. Works great, but you can't do it in an auto ;)
Sabre (Julian)
92.5% Stock 04 STI
Good choice putting $4,000 rims on your 1990 Honda Civic. That's like Betty White going out and getting her tits done.
drwrx
DCAWD Founding Member

Post by drwrx »

Sabre wrote:I use to play with slipping the clutch to build boost quickly while sitting still. Works great, but you can't do it in an auto
My guess is that Mitsu will have done something to help "launch" the EVO X. If the 0-60 times drop they will never hear the end of it. Don't forget, they had a lovely feature on the last version that limited that very activity. I'm willing to bet the EVO X will have some sort of built-in traction / launch control to help it off the line (like the AMGs do). How do you keep 600+ ftlbs of torque to the ground in first gear without shreading the tires? Answer: you don't, you have to reduce the torque at launch.
Libra Monkee

Post by Libra Monkee »

Okay I like the interior, save for the seats, but probably because it looks less Matchbox than most Mistus. Am I the only who thinks the climate controls were inspired by Subaru?

The whole car looks like something from Minority Report which I'm not sure is good or bad. More than likely bad. Auto trannys are okay if they're done right but since I learned to drive stick I frown upon automatics because I've become accustomed to getting power when I want it and not when the car decides to give it to me. The car will be availbile in a stick shift but only as a 5-speed. :?

Since all I really have to go on is looks and this write up I'll reserve full criticism until I see what numbers it puts down.

Libra Monkee- "Helping DCAWD meet its Equal Opportunity requirement since 2006."
WANGAN_X
DCAWD Groupie

Post by WANGAN_X »

word on the street is that the dsg is an option now....
Mr Kleen
DCAWD Founding Member

Post by Mr Kleen »

Car and Driver said that the Audi/VW DSG was better than any other system of it's type that they had driven, including Ferrari and Lamborghini...

not sure I dig the new EVO. they nicked the center clock pod from Porsche, the seat design makes me think of the original GT40, nose makes me think of Audi. I just wonder how that new chassis will work out???
Cereb Daithi
DCAWD Groupie

Post by Cereb Daithi »

it looks like mitsu took some interior decorating tips from audi....

i honestly don't mind the auto thing myself. with the 4EAT tansmission I can still lock-out the gears and shift up through them, downshift into turns to have power coming out, and i never have to worry about damaging the engine really. the tranny will respond but will never do anything to damage itself or the engine. when i got the auto-RS i sort of wondered if I'd be pulling my hair out... but i can make it fun when i need to.. and when i want my hands free and want to concentrate more, i can let the car's computer work out the shifts. not only that but not having to mess with a clutch allows me to drive even more agressively. (haha if you any of you guys ever visit this area i might have to take you on the "hell ride" as people have called it.. i've gotten grown men to keep repeating "oh shit oh shit oh shit". downside to the driving is i go through tires like crazy and pretty much need to replace them every 6 months.. really need to stop doing that)
Sabre
DCAWD Founding Member

Post by Sabre »

lol, come down here and I'll take you for a ride through one of the local roads too ;)

BTW, I see a ticking bomb with the new engine. Yes it has MVEC on both intake and exhaust... but it's NO where near as bullet proof as it was. I can just see some of the old school DSM guys strapping a bunch of stuff to the new aluminum block and it blowing up.
Sabre (Julian)
92.5% Stock 04 STI
Mr Kleen
DCAWD Founding Member

Post by Mr Kleen »

Sabre wrote:BTW, I see a ticking bomb with the new engine. Yes it has MVEC on both intake and exhaust... but it's NO where near as bullet proof as it was. I can just see some of the old school DSM guys strapping a bunch of stuff to the new aluminum block and it blowing up.
hope not, for the Mitsu fans sake... but +123456
WANGAN_X
DCAWD Groupie

Post by WANGAN_X »

i have heard that since they will be using FI that it will continue to be an iron block... however i have also heard that tuning these monsters is gonna be a bitch...
GaToR
DCAWD Groupie

Post by GaToR »

i have heard that since they will be using FI that it will continue to be an iron block
From TopSpeed:
In the mechanical components department, MITSUBISHI EVO X will mate a turbocharged aluminum cylinder block MIVEC engine to a high-performance 6-speed auto-manual transmission.
I think I read that it would in fact be the same block as on the Lancer, with the necessary engine work for the turbo. Either way, I think this radical re-design will not be free of teething problems.
avriette
DCAWD Groupie

Post by avriette »

Sabre wrote:Don't for get the VW/Audi DSG's either. They have some of the fastest shift times. Doesn't mean I like them though ;)

I use to play with slipping the clutch to build boost quickly while sitting still. Works great, but you can't do it in an auto ;)
Of course you can do it in an auto. It's called a transbrake. Or power braking. I suspect the Z will wind up with a TH400 as I don't want to deal with exploding clutches. I'm not a huge fan of the automatic transmission either, but for consistency's sake, for faster shifts, and ease of reprogramming (shift plate vs re-gearing), the auto wins. My main beef with it in the past has been that they're magical (incredibly complicated, when compared to a manual), and not especially robust. It's totally normal now to see 'glides and TH400's on multi-thousand HP engines.

I'd just get a left pedal installed on the Evo so that I could pretend I was shifting when I shifted. :)
rocket scientist
avriette
DCAWD Groupie

Post by avriette »

Mr Kleen wrote:Car and Driver said that the Audi/VW DSG was better than any other system of it's type that they had driven, including Ferrari and Lamborghini...
Eeuuuuhhh.. Aren't Audi and Lamborghini the same company?
rocket scientist
drwrx
DCAWD Founding Member

Post by drwrx »

avriette wrote:Eeuuuuhhh.. Aren't Audi and Lamborghini the same company?
Yes, but it oddly enough, Volkswagon Auto Group (VAG) usually uses Audi to promote new or developing auto technology. Look at VAG's history. Every "new" auto technology (all wheel drive, antilock brakes, traction control, airbags, seat heaters, rain senseing wipers, 5 valve heads, variable valve timing, manumatic transmission, CVT, etc.) were all initiated on Audis before they made it into other brands (VW, Porsche, Lamborghini, Skoda, etc.)
Mr Kleen
DCAWD Founding Member

Post by Mr Kleen »

avriette wrote:
Mr Kleen wrote:Car and Driver said that the Audi/VW DSG was better than any other system of it's type that they had driven, including Ferrari and Lamborghini...
Eeuuuuhhh.. Aren't Audi and Lamborghini the same company?
Lamborghini is Italian and Audi is German, so different companies. now Audi does OWN Lamborghini... :wink:

they use different clutchless manual transmission designs so the reviewers pointed out that the new Audi unit was better than any they had yet driven (including the Italian exotics).
Sabre
DCAWD Founding Member

Post by Sabre »

avriette wrote:It's totally normal now to see 'glides and TH400's on multi-thousand HP engines.
Ah yes, I remember Colin saying he had a friend with a DSM that had one of these installed. IIRC, to run 11's, he just pulled up and hit the gas :shock:
Sabre (Julian)
92.5% Stock 04 STI