2012 Mitsubishi Lancer - New and Future Cars

Non-technical forum specific to Mitsubishi. Good example: Discussion of dealers.

Moderator: Moderators

sirwilliam
Resident Poop Expert

Post by sirwilliam »

The beloved, overachieving current-generation Mitsubishi Lancer Evolution X—the epitome of a rally car for the street, capable of conquering many so-called “sports cars” that cost far more—may be going the way of the dodo bird. Rumor has it that Mitsubishi will retire the legendary model for greener pastures after the Evo X’s production run ends. And our sources report that “green” is indeed the new policy for Mitsu­bishi these days. We hear that the company, conforming to the laws of automotive natural selection that favor a more environmentally friendly species of transport, is working on a new 300-plus-bhp sports sedan that will come wrapped in a more attractive upscale package, with either a turbocharged diesel engine or diesel hybrid under the hood. The car will be slightly larger than today’s Evo and get as much as 35 mpg combined. Greener for sure, and all this with the added benefit of having more torque on tap, due to the stout grunt today’s clean diesels deliver with their improved throttle response.

Likely to be built in China or Thailand—marking a significant change, as all Evos to date have been built in Japan—the replacement car is yet to be named, but should come out sometime in 2012. Our sources also tell us it will be less of a hard-core sports car/sedan and more of a supremely versatile, high-performance GT; one that might approach the ideal of an Audi S4 or BMW 335i, with prices in the $30,000 range. All-wheel drive, with perhaps a 4-wheel steering option, will continue to make this new Mitsubishi as capable in rain and snow as it is on the track, while a possible roll-stabilizing suspension system should improve the passengers’ in-cabin experience, as well as making the chassis more responsive to the driver.

If the Green Revolution spawns an evolution of one of our favorite performance cars...then the future not only looks cleaner, but brighter too.
2004 SG Model A PearlBlackObsidian (RIP)
2008 SG Model D BlueRallyWorld

"When I get sad, I stop being sad and be awesome instead. True story." -Barney Stinson
"Nothing shuts my pie-hole but pie." -Shawn Spencer
GaToR
DCAWD Groupie

Re: 2012 Mitsubishi Lancer - New and Future Cars

Post by GaToR »

sirwilliam wrote:2012 Mitsubishi Lancer - New and Future Cars

The beloved, overachieving current-generation Mitsubishi Lancer Evolution X—the epitome of a rally car for the street, capable of conquering many so-called “sports cars” that cost far more—may be going the way of the dodo bird. Rumor has it that Mitsubishi will retire the legendary model for greener pastures after the Evo X’s production run ends. And our sources report that “green” is indeed the new policy for Mitsu­bishi these days. We hear that the company, conforming to the laws of automotive natural selection that favor a more environmentally friendly species of transport, is working on a new 300-plus-bhp sports sedan that will come wrapped in a more attractive upscale package, with either a turbocharged diesel engine or diesel hybrid under the hood. The car will be slightly larger than today’s Evo and get as much as 35 mpg combined. Greener for sure, and all this with the added benefit of having more torque on tap, due to the stout grunt today’s clean diesels deliver with their improved throttle response.

Likely to be built in China or Thailand—marking a significant change, as all Evos to date have been built in Japan—the replacement car is yet to be named, but should come out sometime in 2012. Our sources also tell us it will be less of a hard-core sports car/sedan and more of a supremely versatile, high-performance GT; one that might approach the ideal of an Audi S4 or BMW 335i, with prices in the $30,000 range. All-wheel drive, with perhaps a 4-wheel steering option, will continue to make this new Mitsubishi as capable in rain and snow as it is on the track, while a possible roll-stabilizing suspension system should improve the passengers’ in-cabin experience, as well as making the chassis more responsive to the driver.

If the Green Revolution spawns an evolution of one of our favorite performance cars...then the future not only looks cleaner, but brighter too.
Sad, but if it were a diesel I'd take a look. 300hp diesel sedan, from any manufacturer, in the US would be the shiz-nit!

Will probably end up being a hybrid though...
Sabre
DCAWD Founding Member

Post by Sabre »

Anyone else think (besides me) that it will wear the Galant name? It would make sense to redo that line and bring back the VR4 series!
Sabre (Julian)
92.5% Stock 04 STI
Good choice putting $4,000 rims on your 1990 Honda Civic. That's like Betty White going out and getting her tits done.
complacent
DCAWD Founding Member

Post by complacent »

Sabre wrote:Anyone else think (besides me) that it will wear the Galant name? It would make sense to redo that line and bring back the VR4 series!
That would be cool, but it seems like most manufacturers are "growing" their lines into larger cars. The galant used to be a small car, like the camry. Hell, even the lancer was a small car.

bigger cars are bigger.
colin

a tank, a yammie, a spaceship
i <3 teh 00ntz
Sabre
DCAWD Founding Member

Post by Sabre »

Sadly true. I *like* small cars damnit!
Sabre (Julian)
92.5% Stock 04 STI
Good choice putting $4,000 rims on your 1990 Honda Civic. That's like Betty White going out and getting her tits done.