2002 Subaru WRX Wagon

Non-technical forum specific to Subaru. Good example: New model information.

Moderator: Moderators

goob_os101
DCAWD Groupie

Re: 2002 Subaru WRX Wagon

Post by goob_os101 »

can I haz the SPT? :hitit:
zaxrex
DCAWD Founding Member

Post by zaxrex »

Then what will I haz?
Patience is the ability to idle your motor when you feel like stripping your gears
TRANS4M
Tricycle

Post by TRANS4M »

Anyone available to diagnose a metallic rattling sound coming from the passenger rear?
Sabre
DCAWD Founding Member

Post by Sabre »

I'll be gone all weekend :( Bring it the meet next week, I'm sure we can find it :) (Going to post meet now)
Sabre (Julian)
92.5% Stock 04 STI
Good choice putting $4,000 rims on your 1990 Honda Civic. That's like Betty White going out and getting her tits done.
chicken n waffles

Post by chicken n waffles »

TRANS4M wrote:Anyone available to diagnose a metallic rattling sound coming from the passenger rear?
where exactly (or close to exact)? interior? body? exhaust?
-Ben
TRANS4M
Tricycle

Post by TRANS4M »

chicken n waffles wrote:
TRANS4M wrote:Anyone available to diagnose a metallic rattling sound coming from the passenger rear?
where exactly (or close to exact)? interior? body? exhaust?
It doesn't sound like interior or body.. I could be exhaust related or transmission/diff/wheel bearing?
Sabre
DCAWD Founding Member

Post by Sabre »

Wheel bearings are a drowning sound that gets louder with speed... very distinct and very expensive if you don't get it taken care of quickly.
Sabre (Julian)
92.5% Stock 04 STI
Good choice putting $4,000 rims on your 1990 Honda Civic. That's like Betty White going out and getting her tits done.
sirwilliam
Resident Poop Expert

Post by sirwilliam »

You can stop by my house and I can go with you for a spin to try to help diagnose. I am home right now. I will PM you my cell#.
2004 SG Model A PearlBlackObsidian (RIP)
2008 SG Model D BlueRallyWorld

"When I get sad, I stop being sad and be awesome instead. True story." -Barney Stinson
"Nothing shuts my pie-hole but pie." -Shawn Spencer
TRANS4M
Tricycle

Post by TRANS4M »

latest chapter in my book... radiator failure.

From my reading on nasioc, this seems to be a common problem on the bugeye. Anyone have a recommendation for a replacement?
complacent
DCAWD Founding Member

Post by complacent »

i'd be curious to see if a radiator from a 2.5l motor would be any different (06+ wrx, 04+fxt, 04+sti)

oem would probably be my first look. unless you were specifically looking to upgrade.
colin

a tank, a yammie, a spaceship
i <3 teh 00ntz
sirwilliam
Resident Poop Expert

Post by sirwilliam »

TRANS4M wrote:latest chapter in my book... radiator failure.

From my reading on nasioc, this seems to be a common problem on the bugeye. Anyone have a recommendation for a replacement?
complacent wrote:i'd be curious to see if a radiator from a 2.5l motor would be any different (06+ wrx, 04+fxt, 04+sti)

oem would probably be my first look. unless you were specifically looking to upgrade.
There are subtle differences between the makes (extra hose, hose connector in different place, etc) . If you want something that will last, go aftermarket...or try a stock one again and hope it doesn't go again. There are a bunch of different companies but I know the main two are Koyo and Mishimoto. I know you can get deals on either of those in group buys from vendors over on nasioc. Not sure if a group buy is going on right now but you can still find deals. Search the web, too...just make sure you get the correct model that fits your vehicle.
2004 SG Model A PearlBlackObsidian (RIP)
2008 SG Model D BlueRallyWorld

"When I get sad, I stop being sad and be awesome instead. True story." -Barney Stinson
"Nothing shuts my pie-hole but pie." -Shawn Spencer
TRANS4M
Tricycle

Post by TRANS4M »

I'm leaning towards an aftermarket aluminum one..either Koyo or Mishimoto.
- 2011 SWP WRX Hatch limited
HappyIdiot
DCAWD Groupie

Post by HappyIdiot »

I had a crack in the end tank on mine (04 WRX) about three months ago. I wound up replacing it with a Koyo unit. The installation was pretty easy. I would be happy to lend a hand when you are ready. You should do hoses while you are there.
My Name is Adam.
TRANS4M
Tricycle

Post by TRANS4M »

Who did you buy from? I'm overwhelmed by the number of vendors on Nasioc. My head hurts.
- 2011 SWP WRX Hatch limited
HappyIdiot
DCAWD Groupie

Post by HappyIdiot »

I purchased it from Mach V. I got it from them at a pretty good price (yeah I was shocked too).
My Name is Adam.
TRANS4M
Tricycle

Post by TRANS4M »

radiator replaced with a mishimoto aluminum radiator. I went ahead and replaced the hoses with mishimoto hoses too. Install was very straight forward - drain coolant, remove old unit, take fans off old unit, put fans on new unit, put in new unit, fill up with coolant.

Why did Subaru put a nipple on the coolant drain if it isn't functional? :banghead:

I also tracked down that annoying rattle. Turns out to be the driver's side front brake dust shield thingy. The metal plate behind the rotor. Any concerns about driving around with out this?
complacent
DCAWD Founding Member

Post by complacent »

TRANS4M wrote: I also tracked down that annoying rattle. Turns out to be the driver's side front brake dust shield thingy. The metal plate behind the rotor. Any concerns about driving around with out this?
i know folks have been cutting them off of the rears to clear larger (legacy) rotors. i think it's only an issue if you live in a very snowy climate and are subject to 7 months of road salt.
colin

i <3 teh 00ntz
Sabre
DCAWD Founding Member

Post by Sabre »

That plate also acts as a heat shield/heat sink. Unless you are tracking it, I wouldn't worry about it... Now for the reason Colin mentioned, you might want to keep it.
Sabre (Julian)
92.5% Stock 04 STI
Mr Kleen
DCAWD Founding Member

Post by Mr Kleen »

it also helps prevent water from getting in between the pads and rotor when it's raining. I'd keep it on the front brakes if at all possible.
TRANS4M
Tricycle

Post by TRANS4M »

Mr Kleen wrote:it also helps prevent water from getting in between the pads and rotor when it's raining. I'd keep it on the front brakes if at all possible.
I'll have to figure out why it was rattling so bad. All 3 bolts holding it in were tight as can be.
complacent
DCAWD Founding Member

Post by complacent »

Is it bent anywhere? I know I've had to straighten mine out a few times.
colin

i <3 teh 00ntz
TRANS4M
Tricycle

Post by TRANS4M »

Check Engine light is on. It came on on saturday while I was on 495. Can I simply head over to an auto parts store and get the CEL scanned or should I go to a subaru specific shop.

Anyone have a handheld scanner?
thermobox
DCAWD Founding Member

Post by thermobox »

Any auto shop can scan it for free. Autozone,advance,pepboys,etc. Then you can figure out what needs done. With the mileage, it's prolly a knock snsor or an o2 sensor. Both easy fixes.
TRANS4M
Tricycle

Post by TRANS4M »

Bank 1 sensor 2 according to the nice guy at Advanced Auto.

Time to do some research.
thermobox
DCAWD Founding Member

Post by thermobox »

Yep, prolly the o2 sensor in the downpipe. http://www.helpforcars.net/obd_codes/p0037_subaru.html# You can troubleshoot and see if the fuse is good, harness, wire, etc. If all are good and the connections are good, it's time for a new sensor.
Usually cost you around 100 +/-, a bit of wd40, and some elbow greese.
I use a crescent wrench to take em out. I generally try and tighten then loosen.