2002 Subaru WRX Wagon

Non-technical forum specific to Subaru. Good example: New model information.

Moderator: Moderators

TRANS4M
Tricycle

2002 Subaru WRX Wagon

Post by TRANS4M »

I'm getting ready to go and take a look at a 2002 WRX wagon. Any tips on what to look out for? The car has 96K miles and it's a manual. Is there a check list of items to check? Any known issues with 2002 WRXs?

Thanks all.
Sabre
DCAWD Founding Member

Re: 2002 Subaru WRX Wagon

Post by Sabre »

Ask if the fuel Service Bulletin has been performed. This fixes a leaky fuel connection in cold weather.

Ask what modifications have been done or removed. If it has a turbo back, ask if it has been tuned, and if so, with what.

Ask if a leakdown/compression test has been performed.

Listen for unusual noises.

Keep in mind, in 4k, it's going to need $1200-1500 worth of work (100k check up, timing belt etc.)

Good luck!
Sabre (Julian)
92.5% Stock 04 STI
Good choice putting $4,000 rims on your 1990 Honda Civic. That's like Betty White going out and getting her tits done.
TRANS4M
Tricycle

Post by TRANS4M »

Thanks for the tips!
Sabre wrote:Listen for unusual noises.
All subaru's sound funny to me :lol:
thermobox
DCAWD Founding Member

Post by thermobox »

Also if you can deal without the suby badge comparable 05-06 saabaru's usually go for quite a bit less than 02 wrx's.
I picked up my saabaru(05) for less than an 02-03 wrx was going for at the time with the same mileage or less.
Good Luck!
TRANS4M
Tricycle

Post by TRANS4M »

I haven't found any Saabaru's even close in price. I guess I'm not looking hard enough. Thanks for the tip.

I'd rather have a 9-2X anyhow. IMO the interior is nicer.
sirwilliam
Resident Poop Expert

Post by sirwilliam »

TRANS4M wrote: I'd rather have a 9-2X anyhow. IMO the interior is nicer.
I concur. Also, I would go for the 2.5L vs. the 2.0L. IIRC, they actually put some sound deadening material in the 9-2x, no?
2004 SG Model A PearlBlackObsidian (RIP)
2008 SG Model D BlueRallyWorld

"When I get sad, I stop being sad and be awesome instead. True story." -Barney Stinson
"Nothing shuts my pie-hole but pie." -Shawn Spencer
TRANS4M
Tricycle

Post by TRANS4M »

sirwilliam wrote: Also, I would go for the 2.5L vs. the 2.0L.
2.5 = 2006 and 2.0 = 2005? Is that correct?
sirwilliam wrote: IIRC, they actually put some sound deadening material in the 9-2x, no?
From what I've read, yes. The two tone interior reminds me of my S4 :wink:
sirwilliam
Resident Poop Expert

Post by sirwilliam »

TRANS4M wrote:
sirwilliam wrote: Also, I would go for the 2.5L vs. the 2.0L.
2.5 = 2006 and 2.0 = 2005? Is that correct?
Yes, but you won't find a 2.5L for cheap now...highly sought after. I still want one :wink:

"When I get sad, I stop being sad and be awesome instead. True story." -Barney Stinson
TRANS4M
Tricycle

Post by TRANS4M »

2.5 5-speed is a unicorn! very few made.
thermobox
DCAWD Founding Member

Post by thermobox »

Cool. Glad you know of them and have looked. I wanted to go the other way because I already have the sti. I actually wanted the 2 liter, dbc, non avcs, slushbox for ease of operation and future maintenance.
TRANS4M
Tricycle

Post by TRANS4M »

So I went to check out the 2002 wagon down in Stafford Co. A few things caught my eye right away.

1. Front bumper was hacked up. Previous owner probably damaged it on a curb or something and decided to cut the entire lower section out. At first glance, I thought that it might have had a FMIC, but that was not the case.

2. Brakes were very soft. The pedal would go almost to the floor. This is the first WRX I've driven, so I have nothing to compare it to.

3. The car had a triple gauge pod that contained boost, AFR, and oil temp. When going WOT, the boost would spike to 16 and then drop to 9, then spike back to 16, 9, repeat.

4. The passenger side floor carpet was peeled back. Isn't that where the ECU is?

5. The dash has a cut out next to the cup holder. I suspect it had a EBC at one point. A Blitz unit or something looks like it will fit there perfectly.

6. I got a chance to see the car on a lift. The car definitely hit something substantial enough to put a dent into the front cross member and ding the oil pan.

7. random switch covers were missing or had holes in them.

Anyone know why the boost would fluctuate like that? Are the WRX brakes really that bad?
schvin
DCAWD Groupie

Post by schvin »

wow, sounds like that car has been through some experiences...

not directly relevant, but i had the same issue w/ brakes when i bought my impreza earlier this year (weaker brakes than the wrx, but...). i did the pads and rotors first, almost no difference, and then bleeding the brakes twice (promptly afterwards, haha) brought them into good operation (very firm pedal).

off-hand, i'd suspect that they were not maintaining the brakes, and some fresh fluid would breath some life in.
2004 impreza outback
1964 beetle
TRANS4M
Tricycle

Post by TRANS4M »

I suspect that the car would need new pads up front and fresh fluids. I did not see much pad left on the fronts. The shop owner said that he would have a tech bleed the brakes and look into the boost issue and then he'll call me back for another test drive.
sirwilliam
Resident Poop Expert

Post by sirwilliam »

TRANS4M wrote:So I went to check out the 2002 wagon down in Stafford Co. A few things caught my eye right away.

1. Front bumper was hacked up. Previous owner probably damaged it on a curb or something and decided to cut the entire lower section out. At first glance, I thought that it might have had a FMIC, but that was not the case.

2. Brakes were very soft. The pedal would go almost to the floor. This is the first WRX I've driven, so I have nothing to compare it to.

3. The car had a triple gauge pod that contained boost, AFR, and oil temp. When going WOT, the boost would spike to 16 and then drop to 9, then spike back to 16, 9, repeat.

4. The passenger side floor carpet was peeled back. Isn't that where the ECU is?

5. The dash has a cut out next to the cup holder. I suspect it had a EBC at one point. A Blitz unit or something looks like it will fit there perfectly.

6. I got a chance to see the car on a lift. The car definitely hit something substantial enough to put a dent into the front cross member and ding the oil pan.

Anyone know why the boost would fluctuate like that? Are the WRX brakes really that bad?
Definitely sounds like it was modded prior...might still have a non-stock reflash on the ECU. I would be wary getting that old of a WRX with that many miles that I thought was modded....unless you were getting a steal of a deal and were planning to do a ton of work (if not replace the engine and tranny with something stronger). I would definitely get a carfax of it. If they don't have all the maintenance records, you will never know how it was abused.

chicken n waffles

Post by chicken n waffles »

a carfax report is worth less than the paper on which it's printed. that rex sounds like it was rode hard and put away wet.
-Ben
complacent
DCAWD Founding Member

Post by complacent »

chicken n waffles wrote:that rex sounds like it was rode hard and put away wet.
THIS. run away!
colin

a tank, a yammie, a spaceship
i <3 teh 00ntz
zaxrex
DCAWD Founding Member

Post by zaxrex »

Do not want.
Patience is the ability to idle your motor when you feel like stripping your gears
goob_os101
DCAWD Groupie

Post by goob_os101 »

*stay away from it! save up and get a Saabaru since any of these cheapo deals will cost you the same in the end.
Sabre
DCAWD Founding Member

Post by Sabre »

TRANS4M wrote:1. Front bumper was hacked up. Previous owner probably damaged it on a curb or something and decided to cut the entire lower section out. At first glance, I thought that it might have had a FMIC, but that was not the case.

Probably (as Schvin said) needs to have it's brakes bled. While you're in there, put SS lines in and good pads. Parts will be around $300 for the above.

This, along with 5, definitely means that it had a EBC. The car is hitting boost cut, which is why the boost is varying so much. I saw this on a friends open source tune which was not done properly.

Yep! Probably had a UTEC and EBC on it.

See 3

Unless they come clean with what was done, I would move on. Sounds like it had a UTEC and an EBC and god only knows what kind of tune.
Sabre (Julian)
92.5% Stock 04 STI
Good choice putting $4,000 rims on your 1990 Honda Civic. That's like Betty White going out and getting her tits done.
TRANS4M
Tricycle

Post by TRANS4M »

Thanks for the replies guys. I passed on that wagon.

I found a different wagon that I'm looking at.
thermobox
DCAWD Founding Member

Post by thermobox »

I just looked on autotrader and their's a handfull of aero's out there. I went with a 500 mile radius and I saw some from 8k to over 12k. I just don't want to see you get an 02 with a boatload of work needed when you could get an 05 with less mileage that is more to your liking.
TRANS4M
Tricycle

Post by TRANS4M »

Thanks for looking out. I was interested in the 2002 wagon on CL for 4700 with a bad CV boot. Someone else beat me to it. The car was sold last night :(
thermobox
DCAWD Founding Member

Post by thermobox »

Wow!! That woulda been a steal. Cheapest I can find an aero is 8-9k. I guess outta the 4-5k range your in? Lookin over CL I found a few out of state 92's. Here's a cherry deal for the mileage http://jerseyshore.craigslist.org/cto/1504363999.html
TRANS4M
Tricycle

Post by TRANS4M »

That's an awesome deal with really low miles. Just a bit out of my price range tho. Can I have $4,000? :lol:
thermobox
DCAWD Founding Member

Post by thermobox »

Prolly not. 4-5k means it will be totaled/salvaged. I think I found the cheapest one in the US at 7k because it was someone's road whore. But if you can afford a payment of $200 +/- financed the money you save in insurance will make up for the asking price.