Good News In Car Sales - Subaru Sales Up!

Non-technical forum specific to Subaru. Good example: New model information.

Moderator: Moderators

WRXWagon2112
DCAWD Founding Member

Good News In Car Sales - Subaru Sales Up!

Post by WRXWagon2112 »

Apparently Subaru had sales increases last month compared to February of last year:
TTAC wrote:If you’re looking for uplifting, feel-good news about the auto biz, this is about as good as it gets. Subaru sales edged up about 1 percent compared to February of last year, carried by a staggering 101 percent increase in Forester sales. Subaru sold 5,978 of the recently redesigned, Impreza-based utes last month. All other models were down month-on-month, with Tribeca (−58 percent) and Outback (−37 percent) faring worst. Hyundai sales were down compared to last February, but only by 1.5 percent, a hell of an accomplishment in this market. Genesis is chugging along with 1,263 leaving dealer lots in February, but bread-and-butter Sonata sales are at about half of 2008 levels. Elantra sales are up by over 2k units though. SUV sales are taking an wholly unsurprising beating, while the Entourage sold nearly 2,500 units. Kia (via PRNewswire) is up a whopping .4 percent, with Sedona, Sorento and Amanti all seeing increases over last February. First-ever Kia Soul sales hit only 34 as the newest Kia hits dealerships.
--Alan
Mr Kleen
DCAWD Founding Member

Re: Good News In Car Sales - Subaru Sales Up!

Post by Mr Kleen »

there were a lot of brand new base Imprezas in Hawaii, that's for sure.
complacent
DCAWD Founding Member

Post by complacent »

Hooray Foresters!!!

:drive: :wiggle:
colin

a tank, a yammie, a spaceship
i <3 teh 00ntz
chicken n waffles

Post by chicken n waffles »

i did my part!

(alan, colin, your turn)
-Ben
thermobox
DCAWD Founding Member

Post by thermobox »

Yep, our momentum hasn't slowed at all since before I've been here and it doesn't look to slow at all until at least 2-3 years from now.

Next up to bat is the new XV Hybrid (this fall winter), WRX/STi (end of 1st quarter 2014CY), Outback/Legacy (end of 3rd quarter 2014CY?), BRZ STi (If we even/ever see it), etc, etc...

Teaser pics have been put up now of an STi badge on the BRZ Grill and Fender Trim. The Outback/Leggy/WRX/STi have all been spotted hot/cold weather testing and the XV Hybrid is already on sale in Japan.
Mr Kleen
DCAWD Founding Member

Post by Mr Kleen »

I'ma let you finish but... actually I'm not. I'm going to delete your spam post. If you're real, this is a warning...
Sabre
DCAWD Founding Member

Post by Sabre »

Guess you deleted it!

New STI at the end of the 1st quarter of 14??!?!?! STI BRZ?!?!?!?
OMG, MY HEART!!!!
Sabre (Julian)
92.5% Stock 04 STI
Good choice putting $4,000 rims on your 1990 Honda Civic. That's like Betty White going out and getting her tits done.
chicken n waffles

I really need Subaru to offer some more appealing rides other than the BRZ STI. I want to love them again. :(
-Ben
thermobox
DCAWD Founding Member

Post by thermobox »

No J. It's gonna be the new Impreza WRX STi. Basically the Impreza that Goob is trying to sell with fender flares, a scoop and a wing. The BRZ STi Ts is for Japan only consumption at 250 to 500 units dependant on trim.

Your S-O-L B. There doesn't look to be anything "new and exciting" to the enthusiast on the horizon. We aren't going to see the BRZ STi Ts and the new STi will be the same tried and true formula of taking the Impreza body/chassis and hopping it up. The Foz XT is pretty kick ass at 250-250 outta the 2 liter but it's still a big bloated Foz.
Mr Kleen
DCAWD Founding Member

Post by Mr Kleen »

I want to come back, FHI...
WRXWagon2112
DCAWD Founding Member

Post by WRXWagon2112 »

chicken n waffles wrote:I really need Subaru to offer some more appealing rides other than the BRZ STI. I want to love them again. :(

This X 1,000. I am (potentially) going to be in the market for a car again. And I can easily (and sadly) rule out Subaru. :cry:

--Alan
ElZorro
DCAWD Founding Member

Post by ElZorro »

New Foresters are too big. New Outbacks are too big. WRX hatch just isn't as practical. Crosstrek is only gonna make it a model year or two.

Sigh.
Jason "El Zorro" Fox
'17 Subaru Forester 2.0XT
DCAWD - old coots in fast scoots.
drwrx
DCAWD Founding Member

Post by drwrx »

I have to say I'm in the same boat.
There is currently nothing that Subaru makes that I would really want to buy.
Sure, I love the BRZ and the WRX/STi (especially the hatches), but they're just not me anymore.
I'll just have to be satisfied with my LGT wagon for now. I guess I'm just living in the past.
Perhaps that's what happens when you get old.
PGT
DCAWD Groupie

Post by PGT »

if the BRZ had a top end power rush like an S2000 motor, I think it would be a home run. there's something about Honda motors and their willingness to rev that would make a great driver's car. Torque you say....well, that. In lieu of 400 ft/lbs at 1200rpm, there's the rush of a STRONG top end (think like a 50% capability 991 GT3....475hp, 325 ft/lbs and a 9k redline)
2013 BMW 328i M Sport with 8sp in Estoril Blue II
2012 Chrysler 300C SRT8 - Always bet on black
2012 Jeep Wrangler Unlimited Rubicon Call of Duty: Modern Warfare 3 Edition, otherwise known as the MW3 (and badass)
ElZorro
DCAWD Founding Member

Post by ElZorro »

I saw a Fiat 500L today. I'm more likely to buy that than I am a 2014 Forester.
Jason "El Zorro" Fox
'17 Subaru Forester 2.0XT
DCAWD - old coots in fast scoots.
WRXWagon2112
DCAWD Founding Member

Post by WRXWagon2112 »

The choice facing FHI: To take Subaru "mainstream" or remain a niche automaker...

http://www.autoblog.com/2013/08/11/suba ... ream-poll/
But Subaru is still a relatively small player in the US market, and with recent profits surging, parent company Fuji Heavy Industries is facing a dilemma: continue on with the successful niche market Subaru has carved out for itself, or attempt to go mainstream and give big players like Nissan and Toyota a run for their money. According to Carscoop, Japan Times and Bloomberg News are reporting that Fuji Heavy is beginning discussions this month to determine which direction Subaru will take.

--Alan
PGT
DCAWD Groupie

Post by PGT »

Before they make any decisions, they should take a long hard look at Honda's demise and Hyundai's ascendancy as case studies.
2012 Jeep Wrangler Unlimited Rubicon Call of Duty: Modern Warfare 3 Edition, otherwise known as the MW3 (and badass)
chicken n waffles

They've already veered toward mainstream. Look at their watered down lineup. The Impreza looks like a Corolla. The Legacy looks like a portly Camry. I don't know what the Forester looks like, but it's fat. The interiors went from quirky but likeable/functional to cheap, hollow vanilla hell. As has been said, the BRZ is the ONLY product in their fleet that even slightly has my interest at this point.
-Ben
Raven
Mr. Underpowered or something

Post by Raven »

PGT wrote:Before they make any decisions, they should take a long hard look at Honda's demise and Hyundai's ascendancy as case studies.
I wasn't aware Honda had died.
All my cars have drum brakes and are sub 200 hp, what am I doing with my life?
2013 Mazda 2
1994 Chevy S10 pickup
1985 Chevy Caprice (no fuel system)
PGT
DCAWD Groupie

Post by PGT »

Raven wrote:
PGT wrote:Before they make any decisions, they should take a long hard look at Honda's demise and Hyundai's ascendancy as case studies.
as an enthusiast/niche marque, absolutely. They made the decision to go "mainstream" with the launch of the 2000 Civic and abandonment of the unequal A-arm suspension in favor of Macpherson struts. The S2000 and NSX hung around for a bit as they were developed much earlier but every product after 2000 as been plain vanilla with gaining market share from Toyota as the goal. What Honda didn't see coming was Hyundai.....they hired a key exec from Toyota N/A around the same time and a decade later, Honda has slipped from #2 to #3 in market share. Guess who took over #2??
chicken n waffles

Is Honda's 'demise' a shift from quirky to mainstream, though? I've never regarded them as anything other than mainstream, even when they offered cars such as the CRX and S2K. Honda's getting rocked by Hyundai's prices and warranties.
-Ben
Raven
Mr. Underpowered or something

Post by Raven »

PGT wrote:
Raven wrote:
as an enthusiast/niche marque, absolutely. They made the decision to go "mainstream" with the launch of the 2000 Civic and abandonment of the unequal A-arm suspension in favor of Macpherson struts. The S2000 and NSX hung around for a bit as they were developed much earlier but every product after 2000 as been plain vanilla with gaining market share from Toyota as the goal. What Honda didn't see coming was Hyundai.....they hired a key exec from Toyota N/A around the same time and a decade later, Honda has slipped from #2 to #3 in market share. Guess who took over #2??
The Civic Si seems pretty enthusiast driven to me. But I see what you mean, but I don't think abandoning enthusiasts was the cause of their trouble. We are a drop in their huge bucket. Toyota told us to screw off years before Honda and it doesn't seem to have hurt their sales figures one bit.
All my cars have drum brakes and are sub 200 hp, what am I doing with my life?
2013 Mazda 2
1994 Chevy S10 pickup
1985 Chevy Caprice (no fuel system)
PGT
DCAWD Groupie

Post by PGT »

Have you driven a late model Civic SI? It's not very sporting at all. I've owned several Honda's....87 Accord HB, 89 Civic SI, 91 CRX Si, 98 Accord Coupe and have driven my bro's 92 Integra, parents 94 Legend, '00 TL and '10 TL. I've also had the pleasure of driving an S2000 and NSX Targa for extended periods. I'd own either today if I could fit without looking over the windscreen.

Honda has had a general trend towards mainstream, with a clear demarcation in the revamp of the '00 Civic as I mentioned. Their stated goal was Toyota....they have succeeded in out-vanilla'ing them on several occasions. They've also had several missteps...most notable, the '12 Civic where they were forced to redesign it after a year due to tepid sales. Now, its not ALL their fault...the tsunami killed inventory and it was bad timing but in some ways, it just helped them acknowledge the truth; it was below par when it hit the market.

Have you guys not seen the latest ads for the Civic where Honda admits they screwed up? That's HUGE for a Japanese company.

Bottom line....Honda eschewed the "performance" demographic for the mainstream demographic and has lost marketshare (though not solely for that decision). Subaru needs to chose their path carefully...they've been moving away from the performance crowd and trying to go more mainstream. I've tried a few times to get back into a Subaru but each time, Subaru's business decisions have made it not an option (no LGT wagon for '08, no LGT period today, long delays on the BRZ to the point we canceled our order, etc).
chicken n waffles

The least they could do was apologize and fix the horrendous interior quality of last year's Civic. Buddy of mine down here bought an Si last year and was showing it off. I couldn't believe how cheap the interior was. Even the Si's seats felt like a thin layer of cheap fabric stretched out over foam.
-Ben
Mr Kleen
DCAWD Founding Member

Post by Mr Kleen »

PGT wrote:Have you driven a late model Civic SI?
This. x1000.
I owned a 2000 Civic Si and it was a fantastic car (right up until it was stolen, the final destination of all Civics). The 2013 Civic Si is no Si.

Honda has lost it's way and I'm afraid BMW is following it. Hey, sales are up, great for them (and stockholders) but I'm not spending my money on beige. There was a time when Honda made cars that were cheap, reliable, and FUN. Now they're not that cheap, no more reliable than average, and they have to look fun up in a dictionary. :notcool: