Good News In Car Sales - Subaru Sales Up!

Non-technical forum specific to Subaru. Good example: New model information.

Moderator: Moderators

PGT
DCAWD Groupie

Re: Good News In Car Sales - Subaru Sales Up!

Post by PGT »

what Gabe said.

I will say that I enjoyed my brother's 2003 Civic SI. As I recall, it was basically a neutered version of the UKDM Civic Type R. Seats - check. Suspension - check. Engine - nope. It got the standard 160hp K20A1 that powered based RSX's.....not even the 200hp version from the RSX Type S, much less the CTR version's 220hp. It didn't get much love due to reverting to a hatchback form and was killed in short order.

I drove a 2012 Civic SI last year when shopping for a commuter car....I think it got the K24 same motor as the CR-V, albeit with 5-10hp more output. SNORE......
2013 BMW 328i M Sport with 8sp in Estoril Blue II
2012 Chrysler 300C SRT8 - Always bet on black
2012 Jeep Wrangler Unlimited Rubicon Call of Duty: Modern Warfare 3 Edition, otherwise known as the MW3 (and badass)
Mr Kleen
DCAWD Founding Member

Post by Mr Kleen »

I liked the hatchback, the seats and the dash mounted shifter but it felt slower than my Si so I passed on spending the money to "upgrade" to the new model. Last Honda I'm likely to own, sadly. .
PGT
DCAWD Groupie

Post by PGT »

yeah, it wasn't quick. I always had plans of buying a white one and dropping a K2x frankenstein in there. Just seemed foolish to do so only to have your stuff stolen.

I saw several later model CTR's in and around Sindelfingen back in 2009. They were flipping cool....only wish they imported that HB body shell and that trim level.
2012 Jeep Wrangler Unlimited Rubicon Call of Duty: Modern Warfare 3 Edition, otherwise known as the MW3 (and badass)
Raven
Mr. Underpowered or something

Post by Raven »

PGT wrote:Have you driven a late model Civic SI? It's not very sporting at all.
Chris has a 2007 Civic Si that I've driven on multiple occasions, I find it quite sporting. Good steering and chassis feel, good brakes, good gearbox and great motor (2.0L making 200HP). Maybe they've ruined it since then, but I found nothing objectionable about the one she owns. So in what way are they not sporting?
Mr Kleen wrote:
PGT wrote:Have you driven a late model Civic SI?
This. x1000.
I owned a 2000 Civic Si and it was a fantastic car (right up until it was stolen, the final destination of all Civics). The 2013 Civic Si is no Si.

Honda has lost it's way and I'm afraid BMW is following it. Hey, sales are up, great for them (and stockholders) but I'm not spending my money on beige. There was a time when Honda made cars that were cheap, reliable, and FUN. Now they're not that cheap, no more reliable than average, and they have to look fun up in a dictionary. :notcool:
I turn to Mazda now for cheap and fun, but that's me.
All my cars have drum brakes and are sub 200 hp, what am I doing with my life?
2013 Mazda 2
1994 Chevy S10 pickup
1985 Chevy Caprice (no fuel system)
Mr Kleen
DCAWD Founding Member

Post by Mr Kleen »

This is like driving a 1984 Corvette and telling the guy who used to own a 1969 "Yeah, I have a Vette too!"

Not. The. Same.
Raven

Post by Raven »

Mr Kleen wrote:This is like driving a 1984 Corvette and telling the guy who used to own a 1969 "Yeah, I have a Vette too!"

Not. The. Same.
Explain why, cause all I'm hearing is hipster posturing. :P
2013 Mazda 2
1994 Chevy S10 pickup
zaxrex
DCAWD Founding Member

Post by zaxrex »

Really, saying that the 13 year model difference in a product line is comparing apples to apples?
Shoot, in this day and age, the six-seven years between the Si you drove and the ones they make now has enough changes to really make direct comparisons.
Patience is the ability to idle your motor when you feel like stripping your gears
Mr Kleen
DCAWD Founding Member

Post by Mr Kleen »

Raven wrote:Explain why, cause all I'm hearing is hipster posturing. :P
All I'm hearing is that you've not driven both the cars you're comparing. I've driven a 1988 Civic Si, a 2000 Civic Si and a 2005 Civic Si. TWO people have explained why they're not as good as they used to be. If that's not enough for you look up the professional reviews, they all say the pretty much the same thing as we've said here.
Raven

Post by Raven »

My premise here is "not as sporty as it used to be" doesn't necessarily make the current model bad, or even not sporty.

Also, nobody out vanillas Toyota. NOBODY. FR-S aside, they are the blandest and most boring cars in existence today.
2013 Mazda 2
1994 Chevy S10 pickup
Mr Kleen
DCAWD Founding Member

Post by Mr Kleen »

Then by all means enjoy your 2014 Civic Si. I'll pass, thanks.
Raven

Post by Raven »

Mr Kleen wrote:Then by all means enjoy your 2014 Civic Si. I'll pass, thanks.
I was watching a review of a 2013, it looks pretty sweet. Could maybe use a suspension upgrade, but I assume that of all cars.
2013 Mazda 2
1994 Chevy S10 pickup
PGT
DCAWD Groupie

Post by PGT »

Have you driven one? I drove one last summer...either a '12 or '13 model. It was bland. Unless they infused some newfound sportiness into it, its very bland. The LSD addition might make it interesting for the latest version.
Raven

Post by Raven »

PGT wrote:Have you driven one? I drove one last summer...either a '12 or '13 model. It was bland. Unless they infused some newfound sportiness into it, its very bland. The LSD addition might make it interesting for the latest version.
I think you need to drive a Toyota Yaris automatic and reset your bland baseline. :lol:

I want to drive one, but I won't. I have a bad habit of buying cars I test drive.
2013 Mazda 2
1994 Chevy S10 pickup
PGT
DCAWD Groupie

Post by PGT »

"The New 2014 Civic SI: less bland than a Toyota Yaris with automatic transmission"

I should be in ad copy.....
Mr Kleen
DCAWD Founding Member

Post by Mr Kleen »

:lol2:
chicken n waffles

Post by chicken n waffles »

Raven wrote:
Mr Kleen wrote:Then by all means enjoy your 2014 Civic Si. I'll pass, thanks.
I was watching a review of a 2013, it looks pretty sweet. Could maybe use a suspension upgrade, but I assume that of all cars.
It's a rather dull, average car once you get past the millions of blinky, multi-tiered and colored ooh ahh lights and gizmos on the dash, even when wringing it out.
-Ben
WRXWagon2112
DCAWD Founding Member

Post by WRXWagon2112 »

Enthusiasts may not be enamored with the brand much, but the rest of the buying public can't get enough Subaru's:

http://jalopnik.com/how-america-got-its ... 1254227987
But when you glance at Subaru's lineup, this kind of success really shouldn't be the case. As I said before, they lack the wide selection of cars like their bigger rivals Toyota, Chevrolet, Nissan and even Hyundai.

Subaru doesn't have a minivan. They don't have a true large SUV (the Tribeca doesn't really count, and it's the one oddball in the lineup that isn't selling.) They don't have a subcompact car. They don't have any trucks. They also only offer one hybrid car, and none of them are really all that fantastic in terms of fuel economy. They don't have any premium or luxury vehicles.

And if I can get a little mean for a moment, besides the BRZ, none of the cars in the Subaru lineup are really all that great-looking. Hyundai's cars are infinitely more attractive.

So how the hell is Subaru doing so well? It's because they're tops in the places where mainstream new car buyers look for advice on cars to buy.

--Alan
thermobox
DCAWD Founding Member

Post by thermobox »

Yep, we set another record of over 40,000 cars sold in August.
Sabre
DCAWD Founding Member

Post by Sabre »

thermobox wrote:Yep, we set another record of over 40,000 cars sold in August.
Congrats :)
Sabre (Julian)
92.5% Stock 04 STI
Good choice putting $4,000 rims on your 1990 Honda Civic. That's like Betty White going out and getting her tits done.