GM Dropping Subaru - Shares Bought by Toyota?

Non-technical forum specific to Subaru. Good example: New model information.

Moderator: Moderators

WRXWagon2112
DCAWD Founding Member

GM Dropping Subaru - Shares Bought by Toyota?

Post by WRXWagon2112 »

Did anyone else see this?

http://www.caranddriver.com/article.asp ... e_id=10183

Looks like GM will divest itself of Subaru - and Toyota may buy those shares. I wonder how this will play out in the product line up? It certainly means no more Saab 9-2X's... :(

--Alan
complacent
DCAWD Founding Member

Post by complacent »

Other than not having the SAAB's rolling around, I think some TRD influence might be a good thing. I mean, Toyota can put together a much nicer car than GM can... I'd be interested to see what happens.

just my .02USD
colin

a tank, a yammie, a spaceship
i <3 teh 00ntz
Mr Kleen
DCAWD Founding Member

Post by Mr Kleen »

from what I've gathered it mostly means no more Saabaru and Toyota will start using FHI's improved batteries in their hybrid vehicles. I don't think it will mean much more than that. nobody in the world is as proficient at badge engineering as The General. but then again, perhaps a twin turbo flat six AWD Supra might be in the works? :twisted:

edit: and while we're at it let's go ahead and make this dream Supra a mid engine and $26,000! :P
Last edited by Mr Kleen on Tue Oct 11, 2005 3:03 pm, edited 1 time in total.
complacent
DCAWD Founding Member

Post by complacent »

^^^^ *boing*
colin

a tank, a yammie, a spaceship
i <3 teh 00ntz
Sabre
DCAWD Founding Member

Post by Sabre »

It will be interesting to see how it pans out. I'll miss the Sabaru's :( Toyota has done well in Rally, so it will be interesting to see the "sharing" of information/hardware between the two.

Man I wish they would bring the Supra back, that is a DAMN sexy car.
Sabre (Julian)
92.5% Stock 04 STI
Good choice putting $4,000 rims on your 1990 Honda Civic. That's like Betty White going out and getting her tits done.
spazegun2213
teh Spaz

Post by spazegun2213 »

sabre wrote:It will be interesting to see how it pans out. I'll miss the Sabaru's :( Toyota has done well in Rally, so it will be interesting to see the "sharing" of information/hardware between the two.

Man I wish they would bring the Supra back, that is a DAMN sexy car.
just wait for 2007, there are rumors of a v10 500hp $50K beast in the works. Also for 2007 comes the new Skyline (not some cheap infinity knock off either!)
96 328, heated leather seats... ummm

Gone But not forgotten
'05 Black Sti, the car that started it all
84 944, my first race car.. what a pos
83 944.. 150hp of FURY, Rookie of the year chariot
ElZorro
DCAWD Founding Member

Post by ElZorro »

When was the last time Toyota was involved in WRC?
Jason "El Zorro" Fox
'17 Subaru Forester 2.0XT
DCAWD - old coots in fast scoots.
Sabre
DCAWD Founding Member

Post by Sabre »

^^^ I was actually thinking of the red Peugeot car. It has Toyota on it... don't laugh.... ;)
Sabre (Julian)
92.5% Stock 04 STI
Good choice putting $4,000 rims on your 1990 Honda Civic. That's like Betty White going out and getting her tits done.
ElZorro
DCAWD Founding Member

Post by ElZorro »

Toyota kicked ass back in the ?80's? in rally, dunno why they dropped out. Zak, any thoughts?
Jason "El Zorro" Fox
Sabre
DCAWD Founding Member

Post by Sabre »

BTW, Subaru isn't doing so well this year from the points standings :( What's up with that?~!?>!?
Sabre (Julian)
92.5% Stock 04 STI
Mr Kleen
DCAWD Founding Member

Post by Mr Kleen »

the new Supra will be well out of any price range I can foresee myself ever shopping in. last I heard it was going to be in the $70k range as will the new Skyline GT-R. nice cars but nothing I'll be able to afford. sort of like the Cayman. ah, Cayman. you should be cheaper than the Boxster not more expensive... :cry:

speaking of cars out of my price range: did anybody hear about Prodrive working on a supercar based on the STi? not sure if it will see production but it's going to be mid-engined and the weight goal is something like 2700lbs. I should try and find that story. it was out around July of this year.
ElZorro
DCAWD Founding Member

Post by ElZorro »

sabre wrote:BTW, Subaru isn't doing so well this year from the points standings :( What's up with that?~!?>!?
Problem = shitty second driver. Petter can't carry the team by himself. When Subaru did well they had two or three great drivers (McRae & Sainz at the same time? awesome...). Now they have one incredible driver and one that should not be on a factory team.
Jason "El Zorro" Fox
WRXWagon2112
DCAWD Founding Member

Post by WRXWagon2112 »

ElZorro wrote:
sabre wrote:BTW, Subaru isn't doing so well this year from the points standings :( What's up with that?~!?>!?
Problem = shitty second driver. Petter can't carry the team by himself. When Subaru did well they had two or three great drivers (McRae & Sainz at the same time? awesome...). Now they have one incredible driver and one that should not be on a factory team.
I don't know about that. Atkinson's posted some incredible times on various stages but just seems to make a tiny slip-up and has failed to finish a few rallies. He's showing some billiance, just needs to calm down a little and actually finish once in awhile. He was excellent in Japan.

*** RALLY SPOILER ***
Too bad Petter hit that rock and went out. Man, he was devestated!
*** /RALLY SPOILER ***

--Alan
Sabre
DCAWD Founding Member

Post by Sabre »

Mr Kleen wrote:the new Supra will be well out of any price range I can foresee myself ever shopping in. last I heard it was going to be in the $70k range as will the new Skyline GT-R. nice cars but nothing I'll be able to afford.
Oh snap! I didn't know they would be that much...
Mr Kleen wrote: sort of like the Cayman. ah, Cayman. you should be cheaper than the Boxster not more expensive... :cry:
It's performance is right smack in the middle of the boxster and the 911, so I think the price might be about right. That is a NICE car! Grab Motor Trend and read the review (or I can bring it to the next meet.... oh wait, that's too far for you... ;)
Mr Kleen wrote: speaking of cars out of my price range: did anybody hear about Prodrive working on a supercar based on the STi? not sure if it will see production but it's going to be mid-engined and the weight goal is something like 2700lbs. I should try and find that story. it was out around July of this year.
post it!!!!
Sabre (Julian)
92.5% Stock 04 STI
Mr Kleen
DCAWD Founding Member

Post by Mr Kleen »

I know where it's performance lands, but it's a hard top Boxster. it's cheaper to build it should cost less. the wankers would still buy the Boxster because they want everybody to SEE them in a Porsche. meanwhile we true auto enthusiasts would speed past them in a Cayman. 8)

starting new thread about Prodrive Supercar. ask and ye shall receive...
Sabre
DCAWD Founding Member

Post by Sabre »

I believe they are going for around 51k... and for that kind of money, you all know EXACTLY what I would buy <cough>Ariel</cough>
Sabre (Julian)
92.5% Stock 04 STI
WRXWagon2112
DCAWD Founding Member

Post by WRXWagon2112 »

sabre wrote:It will be interesting to see how it pans out. I'll miss the Sabaru's :( Toyota has done well in Rally, so it will be interesting to see the "sharing" of information/hardware between the two.
Now that brings up an interesting possibility ... With the rules changes coming for WRC (in-line four configuration, common transmission, etc.), will we see Subaru use a Toyota engine and continue in the sport? Otherwise their boxer engine would be illegal, right?

--Alan
Sabre
DCAWD Founding Member

Post by Sabre »

^^^ That would be correct. I didn't know if those rules had officially gone through or not. That REALLY sucks...
Sabre (Julian)
92.5% Stock 04 STI
ElZorro
DCAWD Founding Member

Post by ElZorro »

sabre wrote:^^^ That would be correct. I didn't know if those rules had officially gone through or not. That REALLY sucks...
Yep, they are official. Start next year I believe.
Jason "El Zorro" Fox
Mr Kleen
DCAWD Founding Member

Post by Mr Kleen »

sabre wrote:I believe they are going for around 51k... and for that kind of money, you all know EXACTLY what I would buy <cough>Ariel</cough>
FYI: the Cayman is $58k+ :cry: and you know that dealers will be gouging for the first year or two. :roll:
spazegun2213
teh Spaz

Post by spazegun2213 »

sabre wrote:I believe they are going for around 51k... and for that kind of money, you all know EXACTLY what I would buy <cough>Ariel</cough>
if i had 51K to spend, i would get a lotus (for a real car) and if i could do aything, i think i would get a saabru and spend the rest on my Sti :)
96 328, heated leather seats... ummm

Gone But not forgotten
'05 Black Sti, the car that started it all
84 944, my first race car.. what a pos
83 944.. 150hp of FURY, Rookie of the year chariot
Mr Kleen
DCAWD Founding Member

Post by Mr Kleen »

I don't know that I'd call the Elise a "real" car. it's more of a large Kart than a car. :lol: