Update: Subaru/Toyota Coupe CONFIRMED!!1!

Non-technical forum specific to Subaru. Good example: New model information.

Moderator: Moderators

zaxrex
DCAWD Founding Member

Re: Update: Subaru/Toyota Coupe CONFIRMED!!1!

Post by zaxrex »

My black ski mask and blacked out tow truck should arrive by then.
Patience is the ability to idle your motor when you feel like stripping your gears
Sabre
DCAWD Founding Member

Post by Sabre »

Can I come by and at least drool a little?
Sabre (Julian)
92.5% Stock 04 STI
Good choice putting $4,000 rims on your 1990 Honda Civic. That's like Betty White going out and getting her tits done.
thermobox
DCAWD Founding Member

Post by thermobox »

Yep. The owner will prolly be out of town then. So I have agreed to let Mgt have the car on display in the showroom.
Mr Kleen
DCAWD Founding Member

Post by Mr Kleen »

Smart move. What color is it?
thermobox
DCAWD Founding Member

Post by thermobox »

Galaxy Blue Silica. I'm assuming that it will be very similar/same as the existing Deep Indigo Blue Pearl that is available to the 2012MY Outback and Legacy Line-Ups.
Sabre
DCAWD Founding Member

Post by Sabre »

Turbo Version of Subaru BRZ’s FA-Series Engine Debuts in Japanese Legacy, Will Power Next WRX
We recently confirmed that we won’t be seeing a turbocharged Subaru BRZ anytime soon; however, we now have a fairly good idea of what kind of power such a model will eventually bring. Subaru has dropped the first turbocharged variant of its 2.0-liter, FA-series flat-four engine—the naturally aspirated version of which powers the BRZ and its Toyota/Scion brethren—into the refreshed Japanese-market Legacy sedan and wagon.

The turbo FA20′s output numbers are impressive: 296 hp and 295 lb-ft of torque. In the JDM Legacy, the engine is bolted to Subaru’s CVT, likely for fuel-economy reasons; we’d expect a turbo BRZ to offer a proper manual transmission and an auto similar or identical to the one it uses now.

The new turbo FA features Subaru’s own direct-injection setup, as opposed (boxer-engine pun intended) to the BRZ’s Toyota-derived direct- and port-injection heads. We think the 2013 BRZ is pretty fun already, even with only 200 hp powering the rear wheels—close to 300 hp sounds like it would be silly fun.

Turbo BRZ uncertainty aside, we’ll likely see this engine appear on our shores within the next year or two under the hood of the next-generation WRX and STI. We previously confirmed that the sporty models will be powered by a turbocharged iteration of the 2.0-liter FA motor, and that the STI’s engine will produce north of 300 hp. The new 2.0-liter turbo four will replace the 2.5-liter turbo in the current 265-hp WRX and 305-hp STI. Although the thought of a 296-hp WRX and an even-more-powerful STI sounds pretty good, chances are the WRX will make something less than that, while the STI will make a little more.
A big motivator for Subaru moving the WRX and STI to the smaller 2.0-liter turbo is, of course, fuel economy—the current 2.5-liter is thirsty. It goes without saying that more power and better efficiency for the next WRX and STI are good things. Now all we have to do is wait for the duo to arrive.
I was surprised that they are using their own DI setup for it, but it's better, I'm all for it. I really do hope that we start seeing this motor offered in the BRZ with a really small turbo or a supercharger.
Sabre (Julian)
92.5% Stock 04 STI
Good choice putting $4,000 rims on your 1990 Honda Civic. That's like Betty White going out and getting her tits done.
Sabre
DCAWD Founding Member

Post by Sabre »

Sabre (Julian)
92.5% Stock 04 STI
drwrx
DCAWD Founding Member

Post by drwrx »

I'm not certain I approve of this set-up. The turbo oil line looks to be the lowest point of the car.
It's just one speed-bump / rail road / random debris incident away from disaster.
Mr Kleen
DCAWD Founding Member

Post by Mr Kleen »

drwrx wrote:I'm not certain I approve of this set-up. The turbo oil line looks to be the lowest point of the car.
Looks like it's plumbed to a pump. Packaging will be much easier for OEM than it is for the aftermarket.
complacent
DCAWD Founding Member

Post by complacent »

drwrx wrote:I'm not certain I approve of this set-up. The turbo oil line looks to be the lowest point of the car.
It's just one speed-bump / rail road / random debris incident away from disaster.
agreed. it's a real shame that these boxer motors just don't lend themselves well to efficient turbo plumbing. look at the six feet it takes to get to the snail on a production turbo boxer.

:|
colin

a tank, a yammie, a spaceship
i <3 teh 00ntz
Sabre
DCAWD Founding Member

Post by Sabre »

I agree, some sort of skid plate will have to be fashioned so that the oil line is protected. You could also just try to move the turbo up higher and then have it dump in to the oil pan, but that would require drilling the oil pan like the turbo'ed S2k guys have to do.

Colin: There is MUCH better placement on the new Legacy. I'm hoping they switch the turbo placement with the 2013 Impreza refresh:
Sabre (Julian)
92.5% Stock 04 STI
Mr Kleen
DCAWD Founding Member

Post by Mr Kleen »

Great placement but no more boxer rumble with those equal length headers. :(
complacent
DCAWD Founding Member

Post by complacent »

hrmph, interesting... so instead of longer exhaust piping, they opted for longer intake piping? i wonder how that wears under load and high pressure. are there hard pipes from the cold side to the intake?
colin

a tank, a yammie, a spaceship
i <3 teh 00ntz
GaToR
DCAWD Groupie

Post by GaToR »

Sabre wrote:
Colin: There is MUCH better placement on the new Legacy. I'm hoping they switch the turbo placement with the 2013 Impreza refresh:
Is that pic aftermarket for the new LGT 2.0 T ?
PGT
DCAWD Groupie

Post by PGT »

no, current model LGT with 2.5T. No more USDM LGT, however...
2013 BMW 328i M Sport with 8sp in Estoril Blue II
2012 Chrysler 300C SRT8 - Always bet on black
2012 Jeep Wrangler Unlimited Rubicon Call of Duty: Modern Warfare 3 Edition, otherwise known as the MW3 (and badass)
GaToR
DCAWD Groupie

Post by GaToR »

:shock: So the 2.5 LGT uses equal length manifold/ headers?
Mr Kleen
DCAWD Founding Member

Post by Mr Kleen »

GaToR wrote::shock: So the 2.5 LGT uses equal length manifold/ headers?
Matt showed me this over a year ago. Great for spool, terrible for sound. The boxer rumble was one of the things I absolutely loved about my Subaru... :(
PGT
DCAWD Groupie

Post by PGT »

only the fifth gen. the '05-'09 was a standard Subaru setup.
2013 BMW 328i M Sport with 8sp in Estoril Blue II
2012 Chrysler 300C SRT8 - Always bet on black
2012 Jeep Wrangler Unlimited Rubicon Call of Duty: Modern Warfare 3 Edition, otherwise known as the MW3 (and badass)
GaToR
DCAWD Groupie

Post by GaToR »

PGT wrote:
only the fifth gen. the '05-'09 was a standard Subaru setup.
Still, I was completely ignorant about the 10+. :crazy: I need to come out from under my rock more often.
GaToR
DCAWD Groupie

Post by GaToR »

In other news:

http://community.evo.co.uk/users/Mike-D ... -and-40mpg

Granted, that's the Imperial gallons. So ~32mpg, machine calculated... but it doesn't weigh much and its DI. Will be interested to hear more about how it is as a daily.
Sabre
DCAWD Founding Member

Post by Sabre »

Wow, that is pretty damn interesting. I wasn't even thinking about how good the MPG wold be.
Sabre (Julian)
92.5% Stock 04 STI
Mr Kleen
DCAWD Founding Member

Post by Mr Kleen »

Sabre wrote:Wow, that is pretty damn interesting. I wasn't even thinking about how good the MPG wold be.
I honestly don't care. I want a factory turbo option, even if it means 19MPG. :wink:
thermobox
DCAWD Founding Member

Post by thermobox »

I really don't see Subaru dropping a turbo/super into the BRZ ever. It defeats the purpose of the car. Supposedly Toyota is working on a super for the GT86/FR-S. I think Subaru will just go with a 2.2/2.5 to up the torque to 200ish +/- and the horsies just over 200.

They have the new DI engine in the LGT in Japan and prolly won't bring the LGT back until the next modle cycle. So this follows what I have been saying that we won't see the new WRX/STi until 2013 as 2014MY or '14 as a 15MY with the new DI set-up.
Sabre
DCAWD Founding Member

Post by Sabre »

OMG, I have to make BlueBallz last THAT long?!?!?!?!
Sabre (Julian)
92.5% Stock 04 STI
Mr Kleen
DCAWD Founding Member

Post by Mr Kleen »

Sabre wrote:OMG, I have to make BlueBallz last THAT long?!?!?!?!
Or come over to the dark side. :twisted: :twisted: :twisted: :twisted: :twisted:

we have RWD :lol: