Update: Subaru/Toyota Coupe CONFIRMED!!1!

Non-technical forum specific to Subaru. Good example: New model information.

Moderator: Moderators

thermobox
DCAWD Founding Member

Re: Update: Subaru/Toyota Coupe CONFIRMED!!1!

Post by thermobox »

The BRZ is just a bridge car for me. I could keep it as long as the STi. But I can just about guarantee that when the next WRX/STi drops the Saaby and BRZ will be traded-in.

Subaru could prove me wrong but I highly doubt it. The whole WRX/STi line-up is an order only car at this point and has stayed this way since sept of '10. Why do they need to change anything until they have a good amount of r&d done with the LGT in their own market with the new DI?

It's the same as us just now gettin the EyeSight System. It has been in their market since the '90s.
Sabre
DCAWD Founding Member

Post by Sabre »

Gabe: Let me say, it is VERY temping at times!

Matt: Either the STI version of the BRZ with a 2.5 or supercharger (or a REALLY small turbo) or I'm waiting for the new STI. lol, BluBallz and The green thing will keep me happy till then!
Sabre (Julian)
92.5% Stock 04 STI
Good choice putting $4,000 rims on your 1990 Honda Civic. That's like Betty White going out and getting her tits done.
Mr Kleen
DCAWD Founding Member

Post by Mr Kleen »

Raven
Mr. Underpowered or something

Post by Raven »

Saw a BRZ and FR-S at autocross yesterday. They definitely have the fast when driven properly.
All my cars have drum brakes and are sub 200 hp, what am I doing with my life?
2013 Mazda 2
1994 Chevy S10 pickup
1985 Chevy Caprice (no fuel system)
Mr Kleen
DCAWD Founding Member

Post by Mr Kleen »

I didn't see it in person, but there was an FT86 at the 'Ring today
Sabre
DCAWD Founding Member

Post by Sabre »

Torque
According to the latest rumors, Toyota is slated to unveil a new convertible version of the Scion FR-S/ Toyota GT86 at the Geneva Motor Show in March. Of course the model has yet to be confirmed, but it's expected to get a folding fabric roof, which should help keep its weight down.

Although we will likely have to wait until March to see if a convertible version of the Scion FR-S/ Toyota GT86 is in the works, Toyota's chief engineer of Toyota's sports cars, Tetsuya Tada, has confirmed that a more powerful GT86 is in the works.

Tada didn't reveal any big details about the high-performance version of Toyota's rear-wheel-drive coupe, he did state that it will likely rely on a hybrid system for the extra boost rather than a turbocharger. The system would likely rely on a super-capacitor rather than batteries and have an output around 250 horsepower.

"When a performance version of GT86 is announced, you will be surprised," said Tada. "These days, the public does not accept a sports car that uses too much gas and has high CO2 emissions."
I would never buy a convertible as a sports car (Miata is the exception because it only comes as one), but I think the BRZ will look good if done right as one.

That being said, I REALLY HOPE they keep weight down with the whole hybrid thing. I'd much rather see a supercharger with it's nice linear powerband than a hybrid one. Who is to say on the track that the hybrid system will be able to keep the power up?
Sabre (Julian)
92.5% Stock 04 STI
Good choice putting $4,000 rims on your 1990 Honda Civic. That's like Betty White going out and getting her tits done.
PGT
DCAWD Groupie

Post by PGT »

S2000 was a fantastic sports car. Still is actually.....
2013 BMW 328i M Sport with 8sp in Estoril Blue II
2012 Chrysler 300C SRT8 - Always bet on black
2012 Jeep Wrangler Unlimited Rubicon Call of Duty: Modern Warfare 3 Edition, otherwise known as the MW3 (and badass)
Mr Kleen
DCAWD Founding Member

Post by Mr Kleen »

Forced Induction or GTFO :x

Related: How Much Horsepower Should The BRZ STI Have?
Sabre
DCAWD Founding Member

Post by Sabre »

PGT wrote:S2000 was a fantastic sports car. Still is actually.....
It only came in a convertible, so that is acceptable :) I drove one and loved it :)
Sabre (Julian)
92.5% Stock 04 STI
Mr Kleen
DCAWD Founding Member

Post by Mr Kleen »

thermobox
DCAWD Founding Member

Post by thermobox »

Yep, I believe so. It's WGP's car. They had the offer out there to make the conversion on someones car for a "deal". But they had no takers. They went out bought the car, promptly stripped it down, yanked it out and pushed it in. That sounded really dirty but you get the point.
Sabre
DCAWD Founding Member

Post by Sabre »

Courtesy of Crawford:

Dem ports... both on the intake to the head and to the cylinder are HUGE!
Sabre (Julian)
92.5% Stock 04 STI
zaxrex
DCAWD Founding Member

Post by zaxrex »

http://oppositelock.jalopnik.com/gt86-r ... -451583888
I have been trying to get more information on the supplemental ammonia burning motor in this BRZ from Geneva for a couple of days now.
I read all the concept and design limitations about those types of engines, but want to know how it was implemented into the drivetrain.
I'm thinking that if this is only to be used at low speeds, it might be directly connected to the driveshaft or rear diff and have a centrifugal clutch that disables it when spun fast enough.

Anbody with moar deets?
Patience is the ability to idle your motor when you feel like stripping your gears
thermobox
DCAWD Founding Member

Post by thermobox »

Sabre
DCAWD Founding Member

Post by Sabre »

TechVehicles.

Taking a look at the Youtube video, you see the system around 1:58. I honestly think it might just be a different kind of injection system rather than another motor. The Bigas International NH3 system they mention might actually be the RIDGB210300 system.

Interesting concept, that's for sure :)
Sabre (Julian)
92.5% Stock 04 STI
Mr Kleen
DCAWD Founding Member

Post by Mr Kleen »

Scion Will Not Build A Convertible Or Turbo FR-S

So now there will be no reason for Mazda to add a higher powered engine option to the Miata, and no reason for the new 240sx to have a high power option. Sad day indeed... :notcool:
PGT
DCAWD Groupie

Post by PGT »

Mach V just put the Innovate supercharger kit on their BRZ. +50-70whp and around 3-4lbs/boost. $3200+ install and tune.

2012 Jeep Wrangler Unlimited Rubicon Call of Duty: Modern Warfare 3 Edition, otherwise known as the MW3 (and badass)
drwrx
DCAWD Founding Member

Post by drwrx »

Honestly, those are excellent improvements.
I'm not sure it's worth $3200+ but still quite impressive.
Mr Kleen
DCAWD Founding Member

Post by Mr Kleen »

I'd rather pay Subaru $3200 for a factory developed FI solution, preferably a turbo.
thermobox
DCAWD Founding Member

Post by thermobox »

Boost just scares the sh!t outta me with these cars. 12.5 to 1 compression from the factory. It gives me shivers thinking about this engine and boost.

There's already people that are popping the engines with turbos and supers.

Again, for the money I'd drop in an LS, EJ, 4B, etc and call it a day.
Mr Kleen
DCAWD Founding Member

Post by Mr Kleen »

I'd guess lower compression would be an OEM design feature of a turbo BRZ.
PGT
DCAWD Groupie

Post by PGT »

12.5:1 is high but it is a DI engine. I agree though...you're leaving a LOT in the hands of a tuner there and I'd prefer to wait for an OEM release.
Mr Kleen
DCAWD Founding Member

Post by Mr Kleen »

Subaru BRZ STI price, specs and release date
evo wrote:The range-topping Subaru BRZ STI has been teased via pictures on the Japanese manufacturer’s website. A higher performance variant of the rear-wheel drive BRZ coupe – which is twinned with the Toyota GT86 – has been rumoured for some time, thanks to the regular car’s naturally aspirated engine, which differs from Subaru’s typical turbocharging policy for its performance Impreza WRX.

Whether the STI features a turbo or a supercharger is currently unknown, but its 197bhp, 151lb ft 2-litre flat-four engine isn’t likely to have much more performance in it without forced induction. 250bhp is a likely target for a BRZ STI, moving it much closer to Nissan 370Z and Porsche Cayman territory and helping it keep up with the turbocharged hot hatches which currently beat it on price.

While the standard BRZ hits a 140mph top speed and completes 0-60 in 7.5sec, a car with forced induction would easily top 150mph and hit the 60mph benchmark around a second quicker thanks to its extra torque. Acceleration and general mid-range performance should feel a big step on from the standard car, too. An STI is unlikely to get an automatic transmission, its only gearbox option set to be a six-speed manual.

Another big change likely for a BRZ STI is an improvement in tyres. The standard car wraps its 17in alloy wheels in eco-minded skinny Michelin Primacy Tyres, the STI is almost certain to upgrade to 18in rims with stickier, more performance-minded rubber. The Toyota GT86 TRD, despite boasting no more power than standard, uses Yokohama Advan Sport tyres.

Styling wise, expect the BRZ STI to resemble the identically named concept in the pictures above. It appeared in late 2011 sporting Subaru’s famed World Rally Blue paint, a huge black spoiler, quad exhausts and big multispoke alloy wheels.

The BRZ STI looks set to appear later in 2013, perhaps at November’s Tokyo motor show to reflect Subaru’s home market. Expect its price to start at around £30,000, up on the standard BRZ's £24,995 tag.
The title of the article is click-bait. There are no firm specs to be had, but at least there's a glimmer of hope.
zaxrex
DCAWD Founding Member

Post by zaxrex »

Holy Crap, cars cost a lot in England...
So do you think if there is a Stateside model it would be $7700 upcharge from base?
That would be killer to have with a warranty, but how long will that last eh?
Patience is the ability to idle your motor when you feel like stripping your gears
Mr Kleen
DCAWD Founding Member

Post by Mr Kleen »

Take down the banners, take off the party hats: The 'Leaked' Subaru BRZ STi Probably Isn't The 'Real' Subaru BRZ STi