2006 STI - Pics and tech

Non-technical forum specific to Subaru. Good example: New model information.

Moderator: Moderators

Sabre
DCAWD Founding Member

2006 STI - Pics and tech

Post by Sabre »

What are the differences between the 2005 and 2006 STi? Finally we have official details of the US version of the 2006 STi. So I thought it was time to assemble a list of the changes over the previous year's model, just as I did for the 2004 - 2005 model year.

Some of the information is directly from SoA documents/pictures and is marked SoA. Much of the rest is from folks who believe they've seen the 2006 model -- and quite probably did -- and so is as close to "official" as can be expected at this time.

My list follows, collected from a variety of sources. I certainly don't claim that the list is complete. Any and all input is welcome, from nitpicks about how the list is laid out to technical foo such as DCCD differential internals. I'll revise the list as we go.

Engine/Suspension/Drivetrain

* SoA Addition of a steering sensor input to the DCCD All-Wheel Drive system enhances power distribution response by more accurately relaying the car’s cornering situation.
* SoA Addition of new mechanical limited slip differential to the DCCD. Enhances torque transfer and overall performance of the AWD system.
* SoA Default torques split is now 41:59. (? SoA has released conflicting information on this point. There is also mention of the torque split being 35:65 as it has been in past years.)

Exterior

* SoA Restyled to reflect new brand identity; Subaru signature front-end design for Impreza features a three-section mesh-type grill inspired by the company’s aircraft heritage, plus boldly styled headlights with smoke-tinted lenses
* SoA New tail lamp cluster design.
* SoA New roof vane spoiler contributes to enhanced track speed stability.
* SoA New rear underbody diffuser.
* SoA New side sill spoiler design.
* SoA Lower-profile hood scoop from the standard WRX aids forward visibility but maintains engine airflow due to the improved aerodynamics of the redesigned front-end.
* SoA Daytime Running Lights (DRL) help make the WRX STI more visible to other drivers.
* SoA Revised exterior badging, especially on trunk lid

Interior

* Heated front seats (maybe mirrors and windshield too?)
* Mesh pockets on back of front seats
* Redesigned HID headlight leveling control
* Rear seat passthrough/armrest

Links to More Information

* IWSTI.COM thread featuring detailed shots of new features: http://www.iwsti.com/forums/showpost.php?p=299450
* IWSTI.COM thread with official specs and links:
http://www.iwsti.com/forums/showthread.php?t=29210

Full tech specs

More pics further down the page.
Sabre (Julian)
92.5% Stock 04 STI
Good choice putting $4,000 rims on your 1990 Honda Civic. That's like Betty White going out and getting her tits done.
WANGAN_X
DCAWD Groupie

Post by WANGAN_X »

that makes me sick :puke:
Sabre
DCAWD Founding Member

Post by Sabre »

You know, I think that I am the ONLY freaking person in the world who even likes it a *little* bit.
Sabre (Julian)
92.5% Stock 04 STI
Good choice putting $4,000 rims on your 1990 Honda Civic. That's like Betty White going out and getting her tits done.
WRXWagon2112
DCAWD Founding Member

Post by WRXWagon2112 »

I still don't have a real feel for it yet. The grill looks like a Saab (which isn't necessarily bad) but the headlights are kinda ... plain. There's no character. It's like it doesn't have a coherent "face" to it. At first I liked the tail lights, but the more I look at it the more they look Altezza-like (which is bad).

The roof-line spoiler looks kinda neat. The de-badged trunk looks good. But again, that front is pretty non-descript.

--Alan
ElZorro
DCAWD Founding Member

Post by ElZorro »

I just stopped by at Stohlman in Tyson's, they have a white, a WRB and a black on the lot.
Jason "El Zorro" Fox
'17 Subaru Forester 2.0XT
DCAWD - old coots in fast scoots.
complacent
DCAWD Founding Member

Post by complacent »

now i will admit, first impression was EWWWWWWWWWWWWW, Whiskey Tango Foxtrot.

...and I am a little ashamed to admit that it's *kinda* growing on me, kinda like a fungus.

and when i say kinda, i mean i like it more than a neon or echo. but that's it. teh moi = fanboi? HELL NO.

VERY glad I bought an 05 STi instead.
colin

a tank, a yammie, a spaceship
i <3 teh 00ntz
schvin
DCAWD Groupie

Post by schvin »

bluscooby23 wrote: VERY glad I bought an 05 STi instead.
sweet!
2004 impreza outback
1964 beetle