DC Shoes Gumball3000 STi s

Non-technical forum specific to Subaru. Good example: New model information.

Moderator: Moderators

Tarmac02
I walk to work

DC Shoes Gumball3000 STi s

Post by Tarmac02 »

Got the heads up on these as they were being built from Bill Knose of I-Speed (AWJunkies' roomate) and Jrod Deanda (Gumball 3000, Meguiars, Formula D Announcer)... these 3 cars make me miss having a Suby.

Specs/Tests:

ENGINE
o 2.5 liter, turbocharged 4-cylinder
o Crawford Performance: S2 Motor and CP32 Turbo Kit
o Engine Tuning/ECU Programming: I-Speed USA
o Power Output:
o 426 HP at 5700 RPMS (stock STi = 300HP)
o 421 TQ at 4600 RPMS (stock STi = 300 ft lb tq)
o (100% 91 Octane @ 18psi)
o STi shortblock with forged pistons and STi crankshaft
o APS Cold Air Intake
o ECUTEC ECU
o APS Exhaust: 3-inch turbo back exhaust
o Samco Intake Hose
o APS Front Mount Intercooler
o Walbro high volume Fuel Pump

DC Shoes - President and Co-Founder, Ken Block:

"I drove for 11 hours straight from London to the middle of Germany. Brian, the editor of "Rides", drove from there, and my wife Lucy took over for the last 80 miles into Prague. Fifteen straight hours on the first leg!"

"The DC Subarus are working out amazing. Once we hit Germany and the autobahn, our feet hit the floors. We were told to keep it slower in the UK and Belgium---the cops knew we were coming. Our cars top out at 160 MPH, and they hit that a few times. Our average speed through Germany was probably 120 MPH. It's crazy having the car pinned and watching a Benz CLK DTM pull away from us---and fast. Ridiculous. The most used item in the car? The CB. Incidents? One. Rob hit some cones at 120 MPH in a construction area that came up too fast and did a little damage to the front right bumper and fender."
This is where witty statements usually go.
Tarmac02
I walk to work

Post by Tarmac02 »

Jrod sent me some pics from Europe while he was on the Gumball, riding shotgun with Max Cooper in the Ferrari JGTC General Lee. I can post more about them if you want.

Getting to ride in I-Speed tuned beasts on a regular basis is a perk of living out here in CA since Crawfords shop is just around the corner from me. Bill is looking into tuning Evos soon... I may allow the car to guinea pig for him, but I may stick to old school DSM tricks on my Evo.
ElZorro
DCAWD Founding Member

Post by ElZorro »

Yea, definetly post up more stuff!
Jason "El Zorro" Fox
'17 Subaru Forester 2.0XT
DCAWD - old coots in fast scoots.
Tarmac02
I walk to work

Post by Tarmac02 »

I'll post up more in a bit.

One thing I was meaning to mention in the KingPin thread but thought it'd somewhat be relevant in this thread was something Bill said to me at one of the meets a few weeks ago. We were having a conversation about tuning the STi and it's major flaws from the factory. The obvious flaw we mentioned was the vf39 being way too small for the 2.5 block, the turbo just tops out too early and your power and torque curves become too flat when they should still be climbing on that 2.5 block.

The injectors went along in that conversation that if Subaru hadn't flawed the STi with that small turbo, and actually had a bigger turbo, the next flaw in the line would be the injecotrs. 565cc on a 2.5 block puts the injectors on the ragged edge way too early when you start adding fuel and changing a/f ratios.

The one thing that stuck out in the conversation as interesting was he didn't refer to the TMIC as being so much a "flaw" as much as it is a restriction. Yes,... the 6ft of piping and small pressure drop you recieve from going Front Mount on an STi might sound like drawbacks,... but Knose said the benefits far outweigh the drawbacks.
Bill said that running a turbo back exhasut and fuel pump are great upgrades and the customers usually see decent gains from just that when tuned. But he has recently started recommending to customers that they wait a little bit, spend the money they have saved for tuning on a front mount and come back when they have that because he says on average he sees another 20-30awhp from the front mount along. Yes he has to tune the boost levels different but heat soak and as a result knock become less of an issue when raising the boost.

It was at this point that I asked Bill why he still runs the APS TMIC on his car. He just shrugged.
Tarmac02
I walk to work

Post by Tarmac02 »

A couple of Max and Jrod with the General Lee

schvin
DCAWD Groupie

Post by schvin »

hot!
2004 impreza outback
1964 beetle
Mr Kleen
DCAWD Founding Member

Post by Mr Kleen »

now that would be a dream come true: driving a tuned STi across Europe to Prague. I love that city... post all the pix you have, just censor any shots of a rebel flag on the Ferrari please. I grew up in southern KY so I've seen enough rebel flags to last a life time. :roll:
Sabre
DCAWD Founding Member

Post by Sabre »

VERY interesting notes on the TMIC vs. FMIC. I really wanted to go TMIC so that I kept my car as stock looking as possible, but I might just have to sacrafice it and get a black FMIC :lol: I'm not suprised by the injectors. I'm running what I would consider as a slightly moddified STI and I approach 98% DC on my injectors at times (never over that). I have a stock set that I want to get modified, but am having a hard time getting intouch with Perrin to get the work done (left 2 messages).

You're VERY lucky to have Crawford so close. They make some amazing engines! I've heard very good things about Kevin at Kingpin from imprezawrxsti.com He seems to be building up quiet a reputation on the west coast for doing amazing things with the STI.
Sabre (Julian)
92.5% Stock 04 STI
Good choice putting $4,000 rims on your 1990 Honda Civic. That's like Betty White going out and getting her tits done.
Tarmac02
I walk to work

Post by Tarmac02 »

sabre wrote: I have a stock set that I want to get modified, but am having a hard time getting intouch with Perrin to get the work done (left 2 messages).

You're VERY lucky to have Crawford so close. They make some amazing engines! I've heard very good things about Kevin at Kingpin from imprezawrxsti.com He seems to be building up quiet a reputation on the west coast for doing amazing things with the STI.
I think one of the KingPin guys posted a DIY on the modified injectors... I can talk to Chooch since he's done every DIY mod to his wrex, TGV removal, water injection, knife edging...

If I can find the DIY I'll post it up
Sabre
DCAWD Founding Member

Post by Sabre »

My only thought was to get them flow tested after I got them modified. The injectors are one of the few things I'm more than likely going to leave to a professional. Although, depending on how adventuresome and lucky I feel, I might try it, haha.
Sabre (Julian)
92.5% Stock 04 STI
Good choice putting $4,000 rims on your 1990 Honda Civic. That's like Betty White going out and getting her tits done.
Tarmac02
I walk to work

Post by Tarmac02 »

The mod works on stock WRX injectors also. Chooch had a set of STi pinks but sold them after he did some more upgrades and modded his stock injectors. I haven't done this mod personally but from what he told me it's very easy to do.
zaxrex
DCAWD Founding Member

Post by zaxrex »

This has some interesting comparisons of TMIC and FMICs. Also worth reading is the FMIC/TMIC FAQ on NASIOC by Unabomber.

On the modded injector front. I have 8 modded injectors that I did. I'm sending them out to get flow tested. You can look at what I did before I send them off and see what level of skill is required (hey, I did it, couldn't be too hard).
Patience is the ability to idle your motor when you feel like stripping your gears
Sabre
DCAWD Founding Member

Post by Sabre »

I was actually going to ship mine off tomorrow. I already have it all set with Altered Atmosphere. If you really think this is something that I (hehe we) could do, I might hold off!
Sabre (Julian)
92.5% Stock 04 STI
Mr Kleen
DCAWD Founding Member

Post by Mr Kleen »

^^ and this mod works on WRX injectors? enough to make them flow with a VF30 perhaps :?:
zaxrex
DCAWD Founding Member

Post by zaxrex »

Julian, hold off another day. I'll bring mine to the shindig tomorrow and we can talk about it. You would still need to get them flow tested as there is a lot of variation in them. The caps sort of act as an inductive capacitor that brings the flow rates closer to one onother by the restrictive screen.

If you mod the stock injectors, an duse them with a VF-30/34, you will have a hard time getting them to run much higher than 70% IDC.
Patience is the ability to idle your motor when you feel like stripping your gears
Tarmac02
I walk to work

Post by Tarmac02 »

The TRIO is on the cover of the new Modified Mag and there's a great article on them .