Kill me now: New STI to be produced in the US

Non-technical forum specific to Subaru. Good example: New model information.

Moderator: Moderators

Sabre
DCAWD Founding Member

Kill me now: New STI to be produced in the US

Post by Sabre »

Torque Report

It came as a surprise to Subaru, but they are happy the Impreza WRX/STI can now be built in the U.S. The new-generation high-performance 2016 Subaru Impreza WRX/STI production is coming to U.S. shores for the first time. It’s been announced by Toyota they will end their contract with Subaru to produce the Camry at the Indiana plant here in the U.S. when the contract expires in 2016.
GREAT news!
The high-performance 2015 Subaru WRX STI will make its global debut at NAIAS in Detroit in January, 2014 and will launch next year. Subaru is looking to appeal to a larger audience with the Impreza WRX/STI, and producing it in two locations will give the brand more opportunity to expand production around the world.
Subaru will also likely be building a new seven-seat SUV at the Indiana plant that will replace the outgoing Tribeca. We can welcome the 2016 Subaru Impreza WRX/STI to North American shores where it is expected to create 900 new jobs by 2016 and several hundred jobs in the future, possibly by 2018 the report said.
Make it appeal to a larger audience?!?!?! I hope they mean because it will be built in the US, and NOT because it will probably look more mainstream. Good to hear about the jobs though. Guess we'll know what it will look like soon!
Sabre (Julian)
92.5% Stock 04 STI
Good choice putting $4,000 rims on your 1990 Honda Civic. That's like Betty White going out and getting her tits done.
drwrx
DCAWD Founding Member

Re: Kill me now: New STI to be produced in the US

Post by drwrx »

I was wondering if SOA would move some production to the Indiana plant in leu of Camry production (that was announced a little whole back).
I guess it was either this or the BRZ, what else is there?
I will be watching this with much interest.
thermobox
DCAWD Founding Member

Post by thermobox »

They could move anything to Indiana and I'd be happy. Honestly I would rather see any of the current Japan production come stateside - Impreza, Sport, XV Crosstrek, WRX/STi, BRZ, Forester, Exiga, etc.. I think Foz production here would make me the happiest.
Mr Kleen
DCAWD Founding Member

Post by Mr Kleen »

I've pretty much given up on Subaru for my enthusiast side. They'll have to show me a turbo BRZ shooting brake to woo me back.

That said I LOVE hearing about production of ANYTHING being moved to a US plant.
drwrx
DCAWD Founding Member

Post by drwrx »

Subaru currently makes the Legacy sedan, Outback, and Tribeca crossovers in Lafayette, Indiana.
The Subaru BRZ, XV Crosstrek, Impreza, WRX, STi, and Forester models are built in Japan.
If Subaru is willing to move STi production here, than it may likely produce the Impreza and WRX as well.