GT86 engineers explored shooting brake and sedan variants

Non-technical forum specific to Subaru. Good example: New model information.

Moderator: Moderators

Mr Kleen
DCAWD Founding Member

GT86 engineers explored shooting brake and sedan variants

Post by Mr Kleen »

Toyota GT86 engineers explored shooting brake and sedan variants, are they still in the cards?
Autoblog wrote:According to the Toyota UK blog, engineers for the automaker were so excited developing the GT86 coupe that they investigated producing a whole family of models based on the rear-wheel drive sports car. And at least one engineer – product chief Tetsuya Tada – still hopes it can happen, even if not everyone at Toyota is onboard. Tada: "Actually we tried to do this secretly but the executives found us out. They said: 'What are you doing? Will you please focus on the coupe.'"

Those mooted variants included both a four-door sedan and a shooting brake. Why? Aside from the pure excellence of a lightweight, brilliantly handling hatchback, Toyota was keenly aware of the fact that it may need to spread the cost of development out across several models. Tada says that's part of the reason why it was so easy to create the convertible. The company knew from the outset that a softtop version was in the cards, and built the machine's structure to accommodate having the roof sliced off.

Tada also made mention of the already-announced collaboration between Toyota and BMW. The engineer said that the GT86 was particularly helpful because it demonstrated just how successful a product conceived and designed by two different companies can be. While he didn't say exactly what Toyota and BMW are up to, it's clear the two are looking into a number of possibilities.
Turbo BRZ shooting brake, mmmmmmm :drool: :drive: :wiggle: :pimp: :popcorn:
thermobox
DCAWD Founding Member

Re: GT86 engineers explored shooting brake and sedan variant

Post by thermobox »

It's pretty old news that they are regurgatating. It was prolly a slow news day. Tada san has always wanted shooting brakes, verts, etc..
PGT
DCAWD Groupie

Post by PGT »

Mr Kleen wrote:Turbo BRZ shooting brake, mmmmmmm :drool: :drive: :wiggle: :pimp: :popcorn:
it would be like a modern day clown shoe (i.e. first gen BMW M Coupe). DO WANT; perfect commuter car.
2013 BMW 328i M Sport with 8sp in Estoril Blue II
2012 Chrysler 300C SRT8 - Always bet on black
2012 Jeep Wrangler Unlimited Rubicon Call of Duty: Modern Warfare 3 Edition, otherwise known as the MW3 (and badass)
Sabre
DCAWD Founding Member

Post by Sabre »

That would be pretty badass :)
Sabre (Julian)
92.5% Stock 04 STI
Good choice putting $4,000 rims on your 1990 Honda Civic. That's like Betty White going out and getting her tits done.
Mr Kleen
DCAWD Founding Member

Post by Mr Kleen »

It was news to me.

Now please enter in my order for a BRG BRZ STI shooting brake, good sir. :mrgreen:
thermobox
DCAWD Founding Member

Post by thermobox »

It's news to everybody bro. On the FT86 forums news is "old" very quickly. The members are varied between average joes to the head engineers behind the cars. I still think that we are at least a year or two away from any "new" variant vert, sedan, hatch, s-brake etc..