STI and Impreza, No Longer Being Sold in the UK

Non-technical forum specific to Subaru. Good example: New model information.

Moderator: Moderators

Libra Monkee

STI and Impreza, No Longer Being Sold in the UK

Post by Libra Monkee »

Top Gear wrote:Lack of demand means iconic Scooby will disappear next year once UK stocks have gone…

We've cracked out the black armbands today on TopGear.com. News first reached us that the last ever Lexus LFA had just rolled off the production line, ending the Japanese über-car's life.

But now we've learned that the Subaru WRX STI - formerly known as the Impreza - will soon disappear from UK roads. Completely.

Subaru confirmed to TopGear.com that the demand for the rally icon has dwindled of late because of changing "market dynamics", and the company is now committed to remaining "competitive on all fronts and in all sectors", through the XV, Forester and Outback.

So when the current stock of WRX STIs runs out, Subaru has no intention of reordering any more for the UK market. This means that at some point next year, there won't be the option of buying one of the UK's most recognisable and formidable performance icons.

Don't forget, it was only a few months back that Subaru slashed the price on a WRX STI by a whopping six grand (though it appears to have crept back up to just under £33k now...), in a bid to pump some life into the ageing saloon. And what did you get for your money? 300bhp, 300lb ft of torque, a 0-62mph time of 5.2 seconds, four-wheel-drive, and a top speed of 158mph. Oh, and a ruddy good drive too.

So, as Subaru tells us, "there is certainly time for customers to get their hands on what we think is a bit of a motoring icon." Do you agree? Or should it now be consigned to history?
My concern is that the US is soon to follow suit.

Top Gear (UK)

Libra Monkee- "Helping DCAWD meet its Equal Opportunity requirement since 2006."
Mr Kleen
DCAWD Founding Member

Re: STI and Impreza, No Longer Being Sold in the UK

Post by Mr Kleen »

I read that Subaru UK is not directly connected to FHI or Subaru NA, and is essentially an outside company.

Matt, care to chime in with some info?
Sabre
DCAWD Founding Member

Post by Sabre »

I doubt we'll see the WRX or STI disappear any time soon here. If you go further north or west, that's all you see, haha.
Sabre (Julian)
92.5% Stock 04 STI
Good choice putting $4,000 rims on your 1990 Honda Civic. That's like Betty White going out and getting her tits done.
complacent
DCAWD Founding Member

Post by complacent »

wow, that's crazy. i can't drive two blocks without seeing an sti with an rfl exhaust here.
colin

a tank, a yammie, a spaceship
i <3 teh 00ntz
Raven
Mr. Underpowered or something

Post by Raven »

Considering that the US seems to have no trouble moving it's small allotments of WRX and STi, I don't think we're in any danger here. I think this is an issue of the UK market, not only is their gasoline extremely expensive, but their yearly road tax is based on carbon emissions. Couple that with the higher insurance rates of these cars and the fact that 33,000 pounds is really a lot more money than $34,000 and lastly that they have to pay a 20% VAT, I can see how this car is just too expensive for the average enthusiast that would buy one over here.
All my cars have drum brakes and are sub 200 hp, what am I doing with my life?
2013 Mazda 2
1994 Chevy S10 pickup
1985 Chevy Caprice (no fuel system)
PGT
DCAWD Groupie

Post by PGT »

add in the excellent Focus RS, Vauxhall Astra VXR, etc.....
2013 BMW 328i M Sport with 8sp in Estoril Blue II
2012 Chrysler 300C SRT8 - Always bet on black
2012 Jeep Wrangler Unlimited Rubicon Call of Duty: Modern Warfare 3 Edition, otherwise known as the MW3 (and badass)
Mr Kleen
DCAWD Founding Member

Post by Mr Kleen »

Don't forget the Fiesta ST!