Crawford "Spec C BRZ dyno graph"

Non-technical forum specific to Subaru. Good example: New model information.

Moderator: Moderators

Sabre
DCAWD Founding Member

Crawford "Spec C BRZ dyno graph"

Post by Sabre »

NASIOC
One of our latest dyno graphs from our turbo BRZ running on E85

Event; Dyno run
Location; Crawford Performance
Ambient temp; 72 deg
Elevation; 100 ft
Weather; sunny so cal

2012 Subaru Spec C BRZ
Tuner; John Visconti
Dyno; DynaPack
Transmission; stock 6speed
Gear; 5th
Peak HP; 474.8 SAE
Peak TQ; 474.6 SAE
Stock HP; 200 SAE
Stock TQ; 157.8 SAE
Boost target; 24psi
Fuel; E85

Impressive, but as one of the posters pointed out, that's peaky compared to some of the other turbo setups I have see on the BRZ. I'd MUCH prefer a flat torque curve with the setup of that car.
Sabre (Julian)
92.5% Stock 04 STI
Good choice putting $4,000 rims on your 1990 Honda Civic. That's like Betty White going out and getting her tits done.
drwrx
DCAWD Founding Member

Re: Crawford "Spec C BRZ dyno graph"

Post by drwrx »

Sabre wrote:Impressive, but as one of the posters pointed out, that's peaky compared to some of the other turbo setups I have see on the BRZ. I'd MUCH prefer a flat torque curve with the setup of that car.
I'm not certain I agree. Over 300 lb/ft @ 2500 RPM w/ peak 474 lb/ft @ 4750 RPM. It certainly has "usable" torque across the board.

They don't say what size turbo it is, just that it is a "twin-scroll". My suspicion is Garrett GT30R size.
PGT
DCAWD Groupie

Post by PGT »

"Spec C"? If that's for "Crawford", umm, that's not kosher. They're using Subaru's trademark monikers for their own benefit. Not to mention Quirt is a nozzle.
2013 BMW 328i M Sport with 8sp in Estoril Blue II
2012 Chrysler 300C SRT8 - Always bet on black
2012 Jeep Wrangler Unlimited Rubicon Call of Duty: Modern Warfare 3 Edition, otherwise known as the MW3 (and badass)
Mr Kleen
DCAWD Founding Member

Post by Mr Kleen »

PGT wrote:"Spec C"? If that's for "Crawford", umm, that's not kosher. They're using Subaru's trademark monikers for their own benefit.
Then Subaru needs to get off their :censor: and release a factory turbo BRZ Spec C. :nana:
Sabre
DCAWD Founding Member

Post by Sabre »

^^^ Agreed. I have to wonder though: If Subaru comes out with 2.5NA engine for the STI version, then all is good. If they come out with a turboed/supercharged/etc engine, then a lot of this R&D is going to go to "waste". How many 2.5RS turbo kits are left?

Seperate theory: If they come out with a FA25 for the STI BRZ, and they are using a turbo'ed FA20 for the Forester, then who wants to bet the WRX gets the FA20T and the new STI gets the FA25T?
drwrx wrote:
Sabre wrote:Impressive, but as one of the posters pointed out, that's peaky compared to some of the other turbo setups I have see on the BRZ. I'd MUCH prefer a flat torque curve with the setup of that car.
I'm not certain I agree. Over 300 lb/ft @ 2500 RPM w/ peak 474 lb/ft @ 4750 RPM. It certainly has "usable" torque across the board.

They don't say what size turbo it is, just that it is a "twin-scroll". My suspicion is Garrett GT30R size.
My concern isn't with the numbers, it's with the torque being peaky in a car that could easily start doing 360's. With the torque changing, the wheels are going to want to break free. If the torque curve was flat, this wouldn't be as much a problem. Senerio: Going through a curve at 80MPH and starting to give it throttle half way through to pull out of the curve. A flat curve will allow you to give it progressive power without breaking the wheels free. A peaky torque curve like the C has will cause the wheels to break free a lot easier, leading to snap oversteer.

lol, I could be totally off my rocker though, haha.
Sabre (Julian)
92.5% Stock 04 STI
Good choice putting $4,000 rims on your 1990 Honda Civic. That's like Betty White going out and getting her tits done.
PGT
DCAWD Groupie

Post by PGT »

I thought it was confirmed that the STI version was getting a 2.0L version with higher compression and ECU tuning to the effect of about 250hp
2012 Jeep Wrangler Unlimited Rubicon Call of Duty: Modern Warfare 3 Edition, otherwise known as the MW3 (and badass)
Sabre
DCAWD Founding Member

Post by Sabre »

PGT wrote:I thought it was confirmed that the STI version was getting a 2.0L version with higher compression and ECU tuning to the effect of about 250hp
I hadn't heard that. even with high compression, I don't know if they can squeeze 250HP out of a 2L. Some kind of power adder has to be there if they are not upping the displacement.
Sabre (Julian)
92.5% Stock 04 STI
thermobox
DCAWD Founding Member

Post by thermobox »

PGT wrote:I thought it was confirmed that the STI version was getting a 2.0L version with higher compression and ECU tuning to the effect of about 250hp

Nope. The only thing that has been confirmed is that a "source" inside Subaru has told us that they are working on a DIT engine. That's it. It hasn't been said or confirmed anywhere that the BRZ/FR-S/GT86 will ever recieve a turbo.

The closest thing that we have to forced induction is that TRD is working on a supercharger that has yet to be released/comfirmed.

It's kind of a backwards rumor because the current JDM Leggy/Foz both have the DIT engine. The USDM XT Foz will also have the 2.0DIT/250hp engine.
chicken n waffles

Post by chicken n waffles »

Nice. Might be a bit too much power for the car but it's likely stupid amounts of fun.

I'd be happy w/ 250HP (and better tires). Oh and an arm rest.
-Ben
Mr Kleen
DCAWD Founding Member

Post by Mr Kleen »

With different wheels and tires that chassis can easily handle 275hp.

The only rumor I've heard about STI BRZ power is an ECU, exhaust and intake upgrade good for 25hp. It would be great if they would offer that TRD supercharger from the factory along with the other upgrades.
PGT
DCAWD Groupie

Post by PGT »

chicken n waffles wrote:Nice. Might be a bit too much power for the car but it's likely stupid amounts of fun.
BITE YOUR TONGUE!!

I have 470hp with 245 width tires (and an LSD) and its not too much. A proper LSD and 235 or 245 width tires will easily put down 250-275hp. Our 328 has an eLSD and 255's in the rear (225's for winter) and has no issues with power in that range, even on the skinny all-seasons.
complacent
DCAWD Founding Member

Post by complacent »

PGT wrote:Not to mention Quirt is a nozzle.
this is very true. it also made me chortle. :lol:
colin

a tank, a yammie, a spaceship
i <3 teh 00ntz