Subaru is Working on a Turbocharged BRZ

Non-technical forum specific to Subaru. Good example: New model information.

Moderator: Moderators

Sabre
DCAWD Founding Member

Subaru is Working on a Turbocharged BRZ

Post by Sabre »

So good, it needed it's own thread...
Torque

It was only a matter of time, but its finally being reported that Subaru is working on a turbocharged version of its 2.0L four-cylinder engine. The new turbocharged engine will be offered in the rear-wheel-drive BRZ coupe and will add some much needed power under the hood.

The 2.0L turbocharged engine will reportedly use a single twin-scroll turbocharger and direct-injection to give it an output around 280 horsepower and 250 lb-ft. of torque. Currently the Subaru BRZ is only offered with a naturally-aspirated 2.0L boxer engine with 200 horsepower and 151 lb-ft. of torque. The BRZ Turbo is expected to debut for the 2014 model year. It's not yet known if it will simply be called the BRZ Turbo or the BRZ STI.
:shock: :ohsnap: :bowd: :nana: :bansex: :banana2: :ya:

If that is true, that is a nice jump in power and especially torque.
Sabre (Julian)
92.5% Stock 04 STI
Good choice putting $4,000 rims on your 1990 Honda Civic. That's like Betty White going out and getting her tits done.
thermobox
DCAWD Founding Member

Re: Subaru is Working on a Turbocharged BRZ

Post by thermobox »

Rumors and lies. It was a slow news day yesterday. I'm calling shenannigans.

So here's the thought:
Let's spend four years developing the best bang for the buck N/A RWD sports coupe available on the market.

Ok, we tripled and quadrupled our original sales estimates in every country that we have offered the car for sale. Making the average wait time from 6-8 months.

Ok, let's just go ahead and cannibalize our N/A sales by releasing a F/I model one year after our original cars release.

Seems like a load of BS to me. Distribution has already let me know that some of my current Factory Orders will be delivered as 2014MY vehicles.

I would assume that what actually got released was info on the new 2.0DIT engine and everyone assumes that it has to go into the BRZ. Not that it will be used in the upcoming WRX/STi model line-up and every other Suby in Japan to abroad.
Sabre
DCAWD Founding Member

Post by Sabre »

I would love for that engine to be in the next STI (even better if it came as a 2.5l), so either way, I consider it a win, haha. Very valid points though!
Sabre (Julian)
92.5% Stock 04 STI
Good choice putting $4,000 rims on your 1990 Honda Civic. That's like Betty White going out and getting her tits done.
thermobox
DCAWD Founding Member

Post by thermobox »

Some form of variant will make the new WRX/STi line-up. It could be as small as 1.6 up to 2.5 in displacement. The 2.0 is already being used in the Legacy GT over there - http://www.subaru.jp/legacy/dit/performance/ . So we might see it here as early as 2013CY as a 2014MY in the Legacy or Forester line-ups. They could hold out until they have had more realtime testing in the JDM and EDM/AUDM.

I'm sticking to my guns that the BRZ STi will be N/A 2.2-2.5 to be released in 2014CY as a 2015MY. I always want Suby to prove me wrong but I'm usually pretty spot on.

I've got a year long bet going that the Outback will have a Touring trim model for the 2014MY with one of my guys here.
Sabre
DCAWD Founding Member

Post by Sabre »

Considering how a stable powerband is VERY good on a lightweight rear-wheel drive car, I can see them staying NA or going the TRD supercharger route. That would keep a nice flat torque curve, but just give you more power all around.

I really hope they don't put a 1.6 in the STI... keep it a 2/2.5l DI!!!!
Sabre (Julian)
92.5% Stock 04 STI
Raven
Mr. Underpowered or something

Post by Raven »

Supercharged would be great. At this power level the parasitic loss in crank power is minimal. Nothing really beats the instant power of supercharging or large displacement.
All my cars have drum brakes and are sub 200 hp, what am I doing with my life?
2013 Mazda 2
1994 Chevy S10 pickup
1985 Chevy Caprice (no fuel system)
Mr Kleen
DCAWD Founding Member

Post by Mr Kleen »

Late 2014 sold as a 2015 if we're lucky. I hope we are.