2014 Subaru Forester Previewed in Leaked

Non-technical forum specific to Subaru. Good example: New model information.

Moderator: Moderators

Sabre
DCAWD Founding Member

2014 Subaru Forester Previewed in Leaked

Post by Sabre »

Torque

It looks like the Subaru is giving the 2014 Subaru Forester a makeover, which is previewed here in a JDM-spec brochure that has leaked online. The new Forester, which will arrive here as a 2014 model will likely share its platform with the new Impreza and will be a bit larger than the current model.

The new Forester will adopt many of the same design cues as the new Impreza. It will ride on a longer wheelbase and will be about an inch longer than the current Forester. It's being reported that the new Forester will go on sale in Japan by the end of the year, but it's not known when it will arrive here.
They definitely rounded her out a lot. Much more up to date, but I think that I will miss the boxyness (hehe) of the older ones. I LOVE the new instrument cluster. Not thrilled with it getting bigger though :(
Sabre (Julian)
92.5% Stock 04 STI
Good choice putting $4,000 rims on your 1990 Honda Civic. That's like Betty White going out and getting her tits done.
chicken n waffles

Re: 2014 Subaru Forester Previewed in Leaked

Post by chicken n waffles »

I look at it this way. The last good looking foz was what... 07? 08? I forget the year they refreshed. Anyway, what I'm trying to say is the current iteration is ugly as sin and this is a vast improvement. :D
-Ben
complacent
DCAWD Founding Member

Post by complacent »

if you squint a little bit, you can almost see a little bit of durango in it... not sure what to think. though i understand why they're progressing in this direction.

i agree, the 08 was the last of the bestest fozzy. :(
colin

a tank, a yammie, a spaceship
i <3 teh 00ntz
Mr Kleen
DCAWD Founding Member

Post by Mr Kleen »

First they designed me out of the Impreza and now the Forester. :(

I really hope the BRZ gets a turbo eventually...
thermobox
DCAWD Founding Member

Post by thermobox »

I know it's not appealing to most on here but this is really my bread and butter. The Foz is the most bought/sold Suby we've got. These subtle changes will keep it as Consumer Reports darling child. The only gripes that they have had about the 4EAT will be rectified with the CVT and the other changes made.

You have to look at the CR-V and RAV-4 to see what the Foz's target audience is and what appeals to them. It might not seem like it is a winner without the looks of the 08 and turbo but when this car drops it's gonna be gangbusters to keep them on the lot.

I'm already receiving messages about customers planning their purchases.
Libra Monkee

Post by Libra Monkee »

I'm thinking the Outback is going to be the new Forester since it looks like it's been dipping in to the growth hormones too.

But yeah I do miss the days when Subaru's look was ugly but distinctive, ya know. Not so ugly that it was an eyesore but you could definitely pick one out of a lineup. Nowadays, besides the badge on the grill, all these people carriers look the same.

Libra Monkee- "Helping DCAWD meet its Equal Opportunity requirement since 2006."
thermobox
DCAWD Founding Member

Post by thermobox »

Amen brudda. It sucks but they are really killing it in sales and I don't see them changing a good formula for success.
Mr Kleen
DCAWD Founding Member

Post by Mr Kleen »

2014 Subaru Forester revealed ahead of LA debut
Autoblog wrote:Subaru has released two pictures and some preliminary details of the all-new 2014 Forester that will make its public debut at the Los Angeles Auto Show in November.

The new Forester arrives with either a 2.5-liter naturally aspirated four-cylinder boxer engine that produces 170 horsepower and 174 pound-feet of torque or a 2.0-liter direct-injection turbocharged four-cylinder engine that will make 250 horsepower and 258 pound-feet of torque.

The exterior adds some more refinement and the turbo model loses its iconic hood scoop – something some of us are glad to see go. Instead, the turbocharged Forester receives a unique front fascia, seen here in the image above. Subaru says that the Forester's fuel economy will improve, but final numbers have not been released. The Forester will debut a new six-speed manual transmission and a Lineartronic continuously variable transmission. (The CVT includes either six- or eight-speed manual modes so you can swap through the 'gears'.)

The fourth-generation Forester also features a new suspension and 8.7-inches of ground clearance for any tough off-road obstacles.

We'll have all the official details (as well as driving impressions) in about one month's time. For now, scroll down to read Subaru's official press release and stay tuned for the new crossover's live unveiling in Los Angeles.
The hood scoop has been replaced by a REALLY ugly bumper treatment to make up for the improved transmission choices.
Sabre
DCAWD Founding Member

Post by Sabre »

Happy to see the manual back :) So.... where is the intercooler now? VERY happy to see the 2l DI turbo motor getting used more!!!
Sabre (Julian)
92.5% Stock 04 STI
Good choice putting $4,000 rims on your 1990 Honda Civic. That's like Betty White going out and getting her tits done.
complacent
DCAWD Founding Member

Post by complacent »

i'm gonna just throw this out there...

I LIKE IT.

:on2me:
colin

a tank, a yammie, a spaceship
i <3 teh 00ntz
drwrx
DCAWD Founding Member

Post by drwrx »

I'm with you on this one.
I liked the previous version as well.
My only issue is with the CVT only option on the XT. What's with that?
GaToR
DCAWD Groupie

Post by GaToR »

drwrx wrote:I'm with you on this one.
I liked the previous version as well.
My only issue is with the CVT only option on the XT. What's with that?
I agree, why manual in the N/A and CVT in the XT?

Also, 24 highway mpg out of a CVT?

That sounds a little uninspired for a CVT. Out of a 2.0L turbo, Ford and BMW get nearly 30mpg in their compact crossovers, even in AWD guise, and they have torque-converter automatics.

http://wot.motortrend.com/2014-subaru-f ... 84853.html
Sabre
DCAWD Founding Member

Post by Sabre »

^^^ good point :( My MIL's Outback gets better than that, although that is with the 2.5L NA engine.

BTW, anyone else really like the wheels?
Sabre (Julian)
92.5% Stock 04 STI
drwrx
DCAWD Founding Member

Post by drwrx »

The current RAV-4 V6 gets 19 cty/26 hwy mpg so maybe that number's a close match to rest of that segment.
I've also noted that Subaru's MPG ratings tend to under rated while others (I'm looking at you hyundai) tend to be over rated.
missvenezuela85
I'm starting to be a post wh0re

Post by missvenezuela85 »

meh not a huge fan of the look
Boots and pants and boots and pants and boots and pants and boots and pants and boots and pants and boots and pants and boots and pants and boots and pants and boots and pants and boots and pants oh and www.annadventure.com <---- :eek: :plusone: & :bowd:
GaToR
DCAWD Groupie

Post by GaToR »

drwrx wrote:The current RAV-4 V6 gets 19 cty/26 hwy mpg so maybe that number's a close match to rest of that segment.
I've also noted that Subaru's MPG ratings tend to under rated while others (I'm looking at you hyundai) tend to be over rated.
I'll definitely buy the under rating. I had an Impreza with CVT as a recent rental. I got 41mpg (dash calculated) from Seattle to Vancouver, 45 defreesF, raining (of course), in total a 3 hour trip; stopping for lunch, a soda pop, and of course customs.

Even if the dash was off by 2mpg, thats not bad for an AWD car.

I have exactly zero respect for the EPA test cycle.
Mr Kleen
DCAWD Founding Member

Post by Mr Kleen »

GaToR wrote:I have exactly zero respect for the EPA test cycle.
It allows you to compare vehicles to each other, just not reality. :lol:
drwrx
DCAWD Founding Member

Post by drwrx »

Mr Kleen wrote:
I think his point is that the numbers can be fudged (I'm looking at you Hyundai) and although they are meant to be a general guideline, some manufactures clearly use them as a marketing ploy. Some do not come close to their EPA numbers, others regularly exceed them.
GaToR
DCAWD Groupie

Post by GaToR »

drwrx wrote:
Mr Kleen wrote:
I think his point is that the numbers can be fudged (I'm looking at you Hyundai) and although they are meant to be a general guideline, some manufactures clearly use them as a marketing ploy. Some do not come close to their EPA numbers, others regularly exceed them.
Both points are valid. You can compare cars' EPA ratings when making a purchasing decision... but at your own peril.

Particularly, anyone driving a TDI laughed at the EPA ratings (they'd have to, to justify the purchase). While the EPA puts the TDI almost on par with petrol cars (Mazda 3, Focus, Dart, Sentra, etc)... if you're getting a mere 41mpg highway out of a Golf/Jetta TDI, you're doing something wrong.

And while I've heard LOTS of complaints of Skyactiv and Ecoboost equipped cars being double-digits off from EPA numbers on the low side, I've not heard a single TDI owner that wasn't getting double-digits higher than EPA numbers.

I think the EPA cycle has found the perfect regimen to give unrealistic expectations for the typical driver in small petrol cars, yet sandbags the hell out of small diesels. That's one overachieving test!
Mr Kleen
DCAWD Founding Member

Post by Mr Kleen »

:hijack: I want a 335d sport wagon :hijack:
GaToR
DCAWD Groupie

Post by GaToR »

Mr Kleen wrote::hijack: I want a 335d sport wagon :hijack:
At least you're on the right continent to get one!! :banghead:
Mr Kleen
DCAWD Founding Member

Post by Mr Kleen »

Only if I want to pay 20% more than the same car in the US and then not be able to bring it back to the US in 3.5 years when my contract is up. So no, not really in a position to own one if they don't come to the US.
GaToR
DCAWD Groupie

Post by GaToR »

Mr Kleen wrote:Only if I want to pay 20% more than the same car in the US and then not be able to bring it back to the US in 3.5 years when my contract is up. So no, not really in a position to own one if they don't come to the US.
Yuck. Sorry for rubbing salt in the wound.
zaxrex
DCAWD Founding Member

Post by zaxrex »

Just read the Jalopnik review of the Fozzy14.

Can someone tell me what the reviewer was trying to say here in the second paragraph?
Jason Torchinsky wrote:There's two flat-four boxer engines for the new Forester, a 2.5-liter normally aspirated and a 2.0-liter turbocharged. The NA engine makes 170 HP/174 lb-ft, and the Turbo one makes a very respectable 250 HP/258 lb-ft. For the 2.5, you can pick between a 6-speed manual and CVT, and the CVT is the only transmission for the Turbo 2.0.

The Turbo, of course, is the interesting engine here. You may recognize it from it's more glamorous job hauling around BRZs and FR-Ses. Here, Subaru has swapped out Toyota's TDI for their own Gasoline Direct Injection system and, of course, they've placed a turbo on it. I'm sure this turbo will end up in BRZs before too long as well, from the factory or not.
When I read it, this is what happens inside my brain:

The BRZ already has a factory turbo'ed engine, except in the future when it will get one.
The turbo engine in Forester came from converting the FR-S's turbo-diesel setup to gasoline direct injection and using more turbo.

Halp?
Patience is the ability to idle your motor when you feel like stripping your gears
Sabre
DCAWD Founding Member

Post by Sabre »

I'm guessing TDI in this is supposed to mean Toyota Direct Injection. So it actually reads Toyota Toyota Direct Injection :lol:
Sabre (Julian)
92.5% Stock 04 STI