Spotted at Gilbert's range

New to DCAWD? Looking for someone, see someone, found a spotted card or just want to say hi? Come on in!

Moderator: Moderators

DrSeuss
I'm a n000b

Spotted at Gilbert's range

Post by DrSeuss »

Whose WRB WRX?
chicken n waffles

Re: Spotted at Gilbert's range

Post by chicken n waffles »

moving to spottings forum
-Ben
ElZorro
DCAWD Founding Member

Post by ElZorro »

Not mine, but you might have seen the FXT down there 4-5 years ago on occasion.
Jason "El Zorro" Fox
'17 Subaru Forester 2.0XT
DCAWD - old coots in fast scoots.
DrSeuss
I'm a n000b

Post by DrSeuss »

I just started shooting over the past year. Still learning. I find Gilbert's to be too dark for shooting accurately at 25 yds.
ElZorro
DCAWD Founding Member

Post by ElZorro »

Blue Ridge Arsenal (Chantilly VA) spent a crap ton of money redoing their lighting, bullet traps and target system, its really nice now.

The NRA range is really really nice. A bit of a pain, the RSO's are militant (you can't load at the shooting stand is the one that annoys me), but its great to shoot at and easy to get to (off 66).
Jason "El Zorro" Fox
'17 Subaru Forester 2.0XT
DCAWD - old coots in fast scoots.
DrSeuss
I'm a n000b

Post by DrSeuss »

Yup, the NRA range is nice but it's always super busy. Sometimes I shoot really slowly like sometimes it takes me 1/2 an hour to go through 50 rounds so if they're busy, they're pretty strict about the 1 hour limit. And it's pretty far away from me. Gilbert's is about 10 minutes away and on my way home from work. Plus it's almost never busy busy. I can shoot there for 2 hours if I want. Plus they let me rent guns for free guess it helps to be a regular there.

There's the Silver Eagle Group out of Ashburn which looks really nice. If it's not too busy I might go there instead of the NRA.
avriette
DCAWD Groupie

Post by avriette »

DrSeuss wrote:I just started shooting over the past year. Still learning. I find Gilbert's to be too dark for shooting accurately at 25 yds.
GSAR is our old stomping ground. We'd be down there twice a week going through about 150rds each. It's a dark range, but it means your eyes don't get quite so strained. I shoot at GSAR, the NRA range in FFX, and Quantico. I think I like GSAR the most, comfort-wise. I just wish I could fire rifle rounds at GSAR. Sometimes I just want to sight a rifle in, but their backstop won't take rounds at > 1,200 fps. They were complaining that the 500 smiff was starting to cause issues when I was there last.

Good to know there are more shooters on the forum. :)
(and at Gilberts, which seemed to be going downhill)
rocket scientist
DrSeuss
I'm a n000b

Post by DrSeuss »

Whoops, I'm talking about Gilbert's in Rockville. Not the one in Springfield. The Rockville one let's me shoot my rifle but then again a 25 yard range isn't that far. But since I SUCK so bad, it's far enough for me. What's sad is I've shot a better group with my pistol than my rifle at 25 yards. I have a hard time staying on target when standing.
scheherazade
DCAWD Groupie

Post by scheherazade »

DrSeuss wrote:Whoops, I'm talking about Gilbert's in Rockville. Not the one in Springfield. The Rockville one let's me shoot my rifle but then again a 25 yard range isn't that far. But since I SUCK so bad, it's far enough for me. What's sad is I've shot a better group with my pistol than my rifle at 25 yards. I have a hard time staying on target when standing.
I know what you mean.
I shake/wobble so bad... weak arms for a rifle + standing up.

-scheherazade
avriette
DCAWD Groupie

Post by avriette »

DrSeuss wrote:\What's sad is I've shot a better group with my pistol than my rifle at 25 yards. I have a hard time staying on target when standing.
Flinching? Do you have a high-powered rifle? Anything bigger than a 30-06 can bother most people. It takes a lot of practice. But, I'm biased because I prefer rifles.
rocket scientist
DrSeuss
I'm a n000b

Post by DrSeuss »

Nah, it's an AR. I'll load some dummy rounds next time and see if I'm flinching.